↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Suggestions (polite please!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Suggestions (polite please!)
I think I've reached an inpass with the dealer and Land Rover regarding the driveability of my Puma. Basically it's :censored: , but LR say it's OK and within specification.

Any suggestions where I go from here, apart from planting it through the dealers showroom window? I get the impression from this forum that I may not be alone.

Generally it's great, but driveability is realy, realy, poo.

Remember I have asked for polite suggestions.

Thanks,

Bosun
Post #16146 1st Oct 2009 9:58pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Hi Bosun,
My advice to you is to keep on at the dealers.A few things have gone wrong with my Lanny and a few times I've been fobbed off.I get the distinct impression that you have to go back 2 to 3 times with the same problem,before it becomes a warranty issue.All of my issues have been sorted out but only through persistance.It's as if the front desk staff go on training courses on how to fob you off.My suggestion to you is don't be intimidated by the service department and just stay persistant.....if your not happy.....just keep going back.It worked for me.As one of the guys on here said.....as my Lanny is getting older,it's getting newer!! lol NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #16147 1st Oct 2009 10:30pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Bosum,

First of all put all in write (very politely) explaining the faults that you have and sent to the dealers preferably with a receipt stamp. I do not like to be pesimist but this will be your probe if the things going worst.

As fekete said, sometimes LR/dealers took a little bit of time to recognize a problem (maybe an strategy to screen those guys that plead for everything). Be persistent and try to digging information about the failures. If other had it is more easy to convince them that you have a problem (also work for me).

Cheers! Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #16148 2nd Oct 2009 12:04am
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Have you tested other people's vehicles to firstly be 100% sure of your complaints? Without knowing all the ins and outs of your issues, it would pay to contact a nearby member who is happy with their Puma for a swap & drive. I have had the most success convincing my dealer of perceived problems when I have made a direct comparison to a "working" car. Even better when the other vehicle is one the dealer is also servicing. 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #16149 2nd Oct 2009 12:41am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
In addition to the comments above.

First of all who is your Dealer.

Can you go to another one.

What do you think is wrong with your Puma, can you describe whats wrong with it.
Post #16150 2nd Oct 2009 3:38am
CFB

United Kingdom 
Depending on the severity of the issues, the length of time you have owned the car and the number of times the dealer has attempted to rectify the faults you may have some redress but it's not easy. I rejected 2 x Puma 110's due to serious flaws but both within a few weeks of delivery. The first one was so bad I got my money back, the second not as bad so the dealer did an 'assisted buy back' where LR customer services contribute some money to the dealer to cover the shortfall in the finance etc, I did lose a bit but they put me into a used D3 HSE for the same monthly payment so I was happy.

It's best to work with the dealer principle and LR Customer Services but as others have said, you will need a clear documented record of the issues/date etc. Andy
Post #16155 2nd Oct 2009 8:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trevor Wright

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Re: Suggestions (polite please!)
Bosun wrote:
I think I've reached an inpass with the dealer and Land Rover regarding the driveability of my Puma. Basically it's Censored , but LR say it's OK and within specification.
Generally it's great, but driveability is realy, realy, poo.

Can you summarise the problems so the rest of us can see if we have such issues, to small or large degree. Trevor Wright
'08 90 TDCi/TD4 XS SW
Post #16157 2nd Oct 2009 9:13am
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Thanks for your comments guys (oops, maybe girls as well),
I'll try and be as sucsinct a I can as to the problems:

1) Very poor 1st to 2nd gearshift unless it's done very slowly. Due to the short shift, this can be a major problem on a hill or with a heavy trailer, as you've almost slowed to a stop before 2nd gear is engaged.

2) Every time you let the clutch up there is a relentless clunk, presumably due to backlash/freeplay in the driveline. Quite apart from it's effect on driveability, I have to assume there will be some effect on durability and fatigue life, the results of which are quite likely to manifest themselves after the warranty has expired. At which time Land Rover will wash there hands of any problems.

Also, if you read the Defender brochure, Land Rover speak of "slicker gearshifts", "enhanced driveability, etc. Quite clearly not the case. I also suspect the Land Rover press fleet wasn't the same, otherwise it would not have gained such glowing praise.

I hope thats explained the issues. Look forward to your comments.
Post #16160 2nd Oct 2009 9:42am
CFB

United Kingdom 
Both should be easy for a dealer to identify, have you tried a second opinion at another dealership if yours are not playing ball?

That would be my first line of attack. Andy
Post #16161 2nd Oct 2009 9:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Check your rear prop bolts/nuts 9/16th spanner where the prop is bolted to the park brake drum I bet they are loose.

Change dealer.

I would take the vehicle with trailer to the dealer and get them to drive it and demonstrate to you that nothing is wrong.
Post #16165 2nd Oct 2009 1:13pm
expedition

Italy 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
When you arrive at this point that no longer tolerates the medium becomes difficult to move forward, especially if the dealer does not meet our needs as we expect. Crying or Very sad

To me it happened with the Toyota can not stand it no more and I was at the head, the face of the famous Japanese brand reliability.

Maybe the reverse is happening to you, think about it, sometimes the only solution is to change.

With consideration. Vale
110 Td4 MY07 "E" Keswick Green
Post #16166 2nd Oct 2009 1:30pm
Paul55

England 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Bosun, I to get a clunk when changing gears not all the time but it is there, as for the driveability I'm more than happy with mine, must admit not used mine for towing and very rarely use 1st gear. I had a lot of trouble with my Freelander many moons ago (apologies for swearing) did not get any satisfaction in the dealers till I stood there one day and started to reel of the problems in front of folk, embarrasing at the time but amazingly things got sorted. Cogito ergo sum
Post #16167 2nd Oct 2009 1:48pm
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Change dealers,

I travel across to the lakes to get mine sorted. It's way way further than my local dealer but it's far easier talking to a dealer who knows and works mainly on defenders.
Ask some of the guys on here from Oz how far they have to travel to get to a dealer and it makes my journey to the lakes seem short.

It's far too stressfull for me to have these stand offs with insignificant busy bodies at main dealers, I can't cope with it.

As for the gearbox I very rarely use 1st even when towing, and I try and and make gear changes as slow as possible, this assists in reducing the drive line shunt and improves the throw of the gear stick,
Not sure if this helps at all but as most folk have already stated I think ur ready for a change of dealer.

Please don't despair or do anything hastily. DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #16171 2nd Oct 2009 2:50pm
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Bosun wrote:
Thanks for your comments guys (oops, maybe girls as well),
I'll try and be as sucsinct a I can as to the problems:

1) Very poor 1st to 2nd gearshift unless it's done very slowly. Due to the short shift, this can be a major problem on a hill or with a heavy trailer, as you've almost slowed to a stop before 2nd gear is engaged.

2) Every time you let the clutch up there is a relentless clunk, presumably due to backlash/freeplay in the driveline. Quite apart from it's effect on driveability, I have to assume there will be some effect on durability and fatigue life, the results of which are quite likely to manifest themselves after the warranty has expired. At which time Land Rover will wash there hands of any problems.

Also, if you read the Defender brochure, Land Rover speak of "slicker gearshifts", "enhanced driveability, etc. Quite clearly not the case. I also suspect the Land Rover press fleet wasn't the same, otherwise it would not have gained such glowing praise.

I hope thats explained the issues. Look forward to your comments.

These are all gear change related, try putting it low range driving a few yards (literally) and putting it back into high. When you put it into high range do this -

1. High low in neutral
2. Put main lever in 1st
3. Push clutch in
4. Slowly put high low lever back into high while slowly releasing the clutch

doing the above will help you feel the high range going back into position as it gradually takes up drive.

PS i have had a problem with mine clunking through the gears when high low has not been fully engaged properly, but it would still let you drive! I’ve done 42k with no other clutch or gearbox problems and mine drives beautifully.
Thumbs Up
Post #16176 2nd Oct 2009 3:54pm
scatt

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alpine White
Have they looked into the clutch, i have been told through some body with there fingers a little closer to the fan. that the puma is on its 8th generation of clutch?? Can you hear a rattling sound coming from under your truck when its running and in neutral???

But mine is notchy into 2nd, and ive had 2 transfer boxs, 3 clutchs, a front diff all have been done with no quible under warranty.
Post #16189 2nd Oct 2009 9:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>