↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Cornwall touring caravan site recommendation,please.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
gvw

England 
Have been to Pentewan and Polmanter and would highly recommend both Thumbs Up
Post #220344 18th Mar 2013 11:15pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
gvw, are the pitches at Polmanter all reasonably level, as the site looks like it is on a slope? I'm booked in there for 2 weeks in August.
Post #220368 19th Mar 2013 6:32am
gvw

England 
WarPig - the majority of pitches are level. Some of the full serviced hardstanding pitches that they have created in the last few years are on tears.
It has a nice pub on site with decent meals if the weather is crap and can't get the bbq out, and you can take your dog into the conservatory part.
Nice walk into St Ives about 20-30min although not as good coming back as its uphill, but apparently you can get the bus back (never used it).
Spotless toilet blocks.
Field just outside the entrance for late arrivals - we usually set off in the evening and get down in the early hours of the morning, get the legs down on the van for a kip then have the whole day to setup and relax.
If you get the weather you will have a great time Thumbs Up
We 1st went on a recomendation from our neighbour and have now been for the last 3 years - this year we are having a change and as I write this am already beginning to regret it Big Cry
Post #220383 19th Mar 2013 9:31am
TheWarden

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
We are going to http://seaviewinternational.com/ later in the year. They have excellent facilities 2013 Aintree Green 110 Station Wagon SX
Post #220384 19th Mar 2013 9:34am
WarPig

Thanks gvw, and welcome Thumbs Up

We are travelling down the night before from Sheffield and staying over for the night at a Caravan Club site at the end of the M5. Considering we will be towing in my 300tdi I think that's far enough in one day Shocked

Thanks mate Thumbs Up
Post #220390 19th Mar 2013 10:36am
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Thanks gvw, always nice to hear good recommendation.

Question to those of you who have been on these sort of sites before, we have a hobby caravan and as such has the door on the offside which obviously means so is the awning, will this be a problem?
Post #220574 20th Mar 2013 12:11am
gvw

England 
Warpig - make sure you are not late setting off after your overnight stop. We found that the A30 can become a bottleneck when it drops from 2 lanes to 1, especially at peak times Thumbs Up

db950 - At Pentewan there didn't seem to be any rules regards pitching, afterall you will find that a lot of pitches have a large motor boat parked on them as well as the van and 1 or 2 cars.
Another great site when the weather is kind, kids will love it but also has a good club for a night out if weather is not - kids entertainment also in the early evening. Thumbs Up
Post #220635 20th Mar 2013 2:40pm
db950

Thank you for the info gvw.

I was thinking of driving over night and getting to the site very early morning to hopefully miss the traffic.
Think I read you can pull up outside the park at Pentewan and wait there until you're allowed on site, do you know if this is correct?
Post #220640 20th Mar 2013 3:29pm
gvw

England 
db950 - yes they have a field opposite the campsite entrance that is used for late/early arrivals.
I have seen outfits going in this (ready for the morning) when we have left to come home around 7-8pm although I have not used it myself - I think they charge you for the priveledge?
What I have done is stopped in one of the laybys nearby. There is one about 1/2 mile from the site but this tends to get full so we used one a couple of miles from St Austell on the A391 before it joins the A390. It was great as it had no one in it when we pulled up at about 2am and when we awoke there was a sarni caravan in the same layby that we made use of for breakfast then had about 15-20mins leasurely drive to site Thumbs Up
Post #220645 20th Mar 2013 3:57pm
WarPig

gvw wrote:
Warpig - make sure you are not late setting off after your overnight stop. We found that the A30 can become a bottleneck when it drops from 2 lanes to 1, especially at peak times Thumbs Up

Good advice, thanks Thumbs Up

We will be setting off on the friday and staying overnight, arriving on Saturday. But Ive been reading that the last leg of the journey over Bodmin Moor is gridlocked on Saturdays, so Im now planning on setting off a day earlier and arriving on the Friday. Probably do the last leg Friday evening after rush hour? What do you reckon?
Post #220651 20th Mar 2013 4:35pm
gvw

England 
Warpig - sounds like a much better plan. A30 can be a nightmare especially with the van on the back, crawling up the hills gives the clutch a tough workout. I now always travel this stretch at night to avoid the masses, even coming home.
Get there after dark on Friday and get on the late arrivals field then got the full day to setup on Saturday if your pitch is vacant
Also when you come of the A30 and start going into St Ives, make sure you follow the directions on the Polmanter website and not your sat nav or you may come a cropper Thumbs Up
Post #220688 20th Mar 2013 7:38pm
db950

These sound like a good plan!
Set off on the Friday morning to arrive after dark, hopefully get access to the pitch Saturday morning then holiday time!!

Lets hope everybody else doesn't do the same!
Post #220738 20th Mar 2013 8:51pm
WarPig

Thanks gvw, Ive just phoned Plomanter who have advised the same and told me to use their early/late arrivals pitch. I had originally purposely booked to arrive Saturday thinkig that the roads would be quieter. Glad I read this thread now Thumbs Up
Post #220741 20th Mar 2013 8:56pm
gvw

England 
db950 wrote:

Lets hope everybody else doesn't do the same!

Rolling with laughter
Post #220744 20th Mar 2013 8:59pm
gvw

England 
WarPig wrote:
Thanks gvw, Ive just phoned Plomanter who have advised the same and told me to use their early/late arrivals pitch. I had originally purposely booked to arrive Saturday thinkig that the roads would be quieter. Glad I read this thread now Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up
Plenty do it - their late arrivals field is large so can take many units - must have been over 20 already parked when we got there early morning at spring bank last year

Dam I wish I was going Big Cry
Post #220747 20th Mar 2013 9:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>