↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > TYRE SIZES for DEFENDER 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
pannawonica

Australia 
Just a sort of related question, I have heard that 255/75 puts your speedo bang on. Does this improve fuel comsumption? Do n't get me wrong not worried about running cost, but the effect on range. Very Happy
Post #204842 24th Jan 2013 3:19am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
pannawonica wrote:
Just a sort of related question, I have heard that 255/75 puts your speedo bang on. Does this improve fuel comsumption? Do n't get me wrong not worried about running cost, but the effect on range. Very Happy

My 285/75s on my 110 DC have put my speedo spot on (measured with a home office approved timing device, tested at 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 mph). It is of course possible that it will vary from vehicle to vehicle, but with modern technology there should be less variation than there used to be in the rotating magnet speedo days.

255/85s are so similar in rolling diameter to 285/75s (there is less than 20mm difference) that they will probably to all practical intents have the same effect. Tyre pressures and vehicle load will make more difference than 20mm! In fact tyre wear will probably make more difference than 20mm, especially with an MT.

As far as fuel consumption goes, I didn't notice any significant difference. Bearing in mind that the Defender is not noted for economy, any difference from the tyre size is swallowed up by other variables (temerature, load, wind, etc).

And I'm afraid I don't agree with Naks comment that anything over 265/75 feels sluggish - it doesn't - although with 285/75s I do recomment 30mm spacers (or wheels with 30mm less offset) if you want to be able to get round mini-roundabouts without taking a shunt.

You will also find that with 285s your Defender is perpetually covered in crud. If you're a polish freak, don't fit 285s!
Post #204868 24th Jan 2013 9:14am
pannawonica

Australia 
Thanks Blackwolf Thumbs Up
Post #205131 25th Jan 2013 1:33am
Grouse

anything over 265's or 7.50's in diameter lifts the gearing and WILL rob you off power and acceleration, but it will give you more mpg. And depending on which engine you have can make a 5th / 6th gear useless and unuseable. This is the truth, I have no axe to grind and have no miss spent purchases to justify. I learned the hard way!

These are the facts, you go up in tyre diameter and there is a price to pay.
Post #206042 27th Jan 2013 9:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12