↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Heated Screen vs HeatShot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Heated Screen vs HeatShot
I have a heated windscreen on my MY10 defender, but off to Nordkapp in Feb - do I need a heatshot ?

I'm interested to understand others POV on the subject

see it in action here :
http://www.heatshot.com/UK
Post #166535 5th Sep 2012 4:18pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Re: Heated Screen vs HeatShot
bpman wrote:
I have a heated windscreen on my MY10 defender, but off to Nordkapp in Feb - do I need a heatshot ?

I'm interested to understand others POV on the subject

see it in action here :
http://www.heatshot.com/UK

I'd rather had a bottle heating solution so it worked on both front and rear wipers. Also I have known the motors to freeze and I assume this would struggle to mange that situation depending on how the heat travels back down the frozen water to the bottle.
Post #166539 5th Sep 2012 4:43pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
used to use v cheap spirit in Germany and worked a treat, also you have a backup if the bar runs dry Thumbs Up

Get the heatshot as well, you might as well go the whole hog while your'e at it, also get something to put on the screen at night to keep the frost at bay (then you probably won't need the heatshot/heated screen in the morning), I used to use an old bit of carpet, but I guess there is a better more expensive version available Mr. Green

Hope you have made a list so you don't forget anything (like me touring Spain/French pyrenees and motorways and not loading the relevant maps on the sat nav -duh - I did take Eire and Belgium though so not all bad)

Sounds like a bit of an adventure - have fun.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #166543 5th Sep 2012 5:01pm
bpman

some good ideas - thanks guys

the thing with extreme cold climates is the batteries in the truck don't charge or keep their charge as well as warmer climates, so a heated screen will draw 13amps and the heatshot 60amps - its all draw on the battery

I like the idea of spirits .. maybe pick up some cheap stuff from lidl/aldi and top up .. customs might be a giggle

having a low draw element in the washer bottle is a top idea .. off to have a look on the internet to see what can be adapted .. more info soon
Post #166549 5th Sep 2012 5:09pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
get a second and washer bottle and pipe a heating curcuit through it from the webasto? cheap as chips and always warm when requied.

PS there a heat shot on ebay for sale
Post #166633 5th Sep 2012 10:22pm
SimonR

United Kingdom 
I used to have one of the wing mirror heating elements stuck to the side of my washer bottle - wired to the same switch as the wing mirrors. It only drew a couple of amps but made a big difference to the washer fluid liquidity and the performance of the detergent at clearing bugs etc.

I like the idea of the Hot Shot thingy - but it doesn't help you if the liquid in the bottle is frozen!

Many washer systems have a non return valve between the pump & jets. This means that it sprays on the screen as soon as you push the switch without waiting for the pipes to fill up.

However, if you remove it, the pipes empty themselves so the fluid does not freeze in them - so in very cold weather you get screen wash a lot quicker than having to wait for the engine to defrost the pipes.

Si
Post #166663 6th Sep 2012 8:38am
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Personally I wouldn't worry about the heatshot...

I used the local screen wash stuff (they sell it by the bucket load) and never had a problem with it freezing in the bottle or coming out of the jets. Once it was out it did freeze on the screen when it got really cold but a brief blast from the heated screen sorted that.
Post #166673 6th Sep 2012 10:52am
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Although I was not driving in -40 temps we hit -20 a lot overhere.

Not used to it so I noticed a couple of things in the first winters after moving.

At -20 temps there is no roadspray, as all is frozen. So you are using the wipe wash much less than expected.

On mornings combined with iced or snow covered windows the heated screen supplies enough clear water to wipe the screen and have it clear at start of drive.

Wipers are affected and don’t do their job as well, what leaves a micro layer of liquid on the glass, which freezes instantly without heated front window. More wipe-wash does not solve this.

Generally I have more struggles with wash-wiping in those conditions than benefits. (using less than 5l of wipe mix per month)
It is also sometimes better to not switch on the heated screen in dry conditions where powder snow is flying around and hitting the screen. If the snow builds up on the window a dry wipe will remove it without hassle. A heated screen will melt it and you will struggle with/ have to use the wipers all the time.

It’s only when temps rise and salt mix spray is present there is a real need to wash your screen every half mile. But then wipers are working again, no instant freezing and even so I noticed that the heated window can dry-out the spray faster which makes you wash-wipe even more. So leaving the heating off works better. (using 5l of wipe mix per week)

In your case I would not really bother with the jet system. It works better in spray conditions (as a hot soapy mix cleans easier than a cold one) but I doubt the real benefit or even need for it in real cold situations.

2cents only
Very Happy
Post #166684 6th Sep 2012 12:53pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
SimonR wrote:
I used to have one of the wing mirror heating elements stuck to the side of my washer bottle - wired to the same switch as the wing mirrors. It only drew a couple of amps but made a big difference to the washer fluid liquidity and the performance of the detergent at clearing bugs etc.

Si

Like that idea Simon
Post #166686 6th Sep 2012 12:56pm
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
bpman wrote:
some good ideas - thanks guys

the thing with extreme cold climates is the batteries in the truck don't charge or keep their charge as well as warmer climates, so a heated screen will draw 13amps and the heatshot 60amps - its all draw on the battery

I like the idea of spirits .. maybe pick up some cheap stuff from lidl/aldi and top up .. customs might be a giggle

having a low draw element in the washer bottle is a top idea .. off to have a look on the internet to see what can be adapted .. more info soon

It is semi irrelevant as neither device can be operated until the engine is running so the alternator will provide the power rather than drawing down your reserve.
Post #166688 6th Sep 2012 1:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

mobilecentre wrote:
It is semi irrelevant as neither device can be operated until the engine is running so the alternator will provide the power rather than drawing down your reserve.

that's true - i like Simon's idea of the heated mirror element or TIG's idea of using the engine to heat the water.

talking of alternators - what alternators are available for tdci's ? or are they all the same ? are there upgrades available ?
Post #166963 8th Sep 2012 7:22am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
If you've got the winter pack i.e. heated screen and and seats you probably have the larger output alternator. Mine has a 120amp alternator factory fitment as it has the winter pack. However TD5 so can't comment on TDCi !

Would have thought yours with the extras as standard that you would have a larger output alternator, have you checked the factory spec for your build ? You might be pleasantly surprised. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #166973 8th Sep 2012 8:08am
bpman

I'll check it out this morning and report back Thumbs Up
Post #166978 8th Sep 2012 8:16am
Timo K

Finland 
As a person living in Finland, heated screen all the way. Have never ever felt the need for a heatshot like system, a heated screen works so much better. Read tatra805's reply, he is spot on.
Post #171446 28th Sep 2012 7:06am
bpman

cheers Timo Thumbs Up - one less thing to do
Post #171448 28th Sep 2012 7:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>