↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Autoglass.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Autoglass.
Autoglass are coming on Saturday to replace my chipped windscreen. The promise to use manufactures heated glass and to replace the seal.
Should I worry about them, anything to double check or are they good boys who know what they are doing?
Post #195098 20th Dec 2012 11:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Autoglass changed the screen on my 1998 Isuzu Trooper Commercial when it was 4 months old, scratched both wings and roof, cut the dash, had to be resprayed and took 12 weeks ..... I'm sure they've got it right by now Whistle Mr. Green
Post #195099 20th Dec 2012 11:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Used them twice before and no problems. Probably depends on the skill of the fitter they send you. BM52
Post #195102 20th Dec 2012 12:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Make sure that they really do use OE glass (Pilkington).

Unless your seal is damaged, you are better off not replacing it (assuming that your Defender is 2008) since the later seals are less flexible and more prone to leaking than the earlier ones.
Post #195103 20th Dec 2012 12:11pm
Thud

blackwolf wrote:

Unless your seal is damaged, you are better off not replacing it (assuming that your Defender is 2008) since the later seals are less flexible and more prone to leaking than the earlier ones.

That's good to know.
Go Beyond: That's not good to know!
Post #195104 20th Dec 2012 12:15pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Chawton White
blackwolf wrote:

IMHO It's somewhat difficult to get a screen out without using a new rubber!

Andy
Post #195105 20th Dec 2012 12:17pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thud,

Ignore any 'doom mongerers' you have no worries whatsoever, also get the seal off and the area thoroughly cleaned. I had two replaced in short succession by Autoglass and it is an ideal time to get the crud cleaned out under the seal and get it sealed correctly.
My advice would be to be in attendance and read carefully the issue of dirt ingress in the thread below, especially my posts and Fekete's on pages 1 and 2....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2126.html If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #195106 20th Dec 2012 12:17pm
Thud

Go Beyond is a Doom Monger.

I'll have a kit ready to clean the crud while the window is out. Be interesting to see if there is the usual corrosion. I hope not. My car is pretty waterproof at the moment which I read is a rare thing. Hopefully he'll know what he's doing. I'll buy the good biscuits for his tea if it'll make a difference.
Post #195111 20th Dec 2012 12:31pm
blackwolf

Andy Jeff wrote:

Andy

Not sure what you mean. How do you manage to damage the rubber getting the screen out?
Post #195113 20th Dec 2012 12:37pm
v40mav

Scotland 
Used them recently to replace a shattered back window

Service was fantastic -
Call from the centre was followed up within 5 mins with a technician who was at the suppliers and wanted to double check on exactly what glass I needed -

Seems there are a few options for the rear window

heated / with or without high level brake light - with built in connectors - some without

Tinted or not

After the discussion the guy was at the house with the RIGHT glass first time and from initial call to leaving 2 hrs tops

No issues with them at all Thumbs Up Defender 110 County SW

Disco 3 HSE

Freelander 2 HSE - SOLD going back to a car

www.lothian4x4response.org
Post #195115 20th Dec 2012 12:38pm
Thud

The girl on the phone had me out in the car with a bit of white paper to check the correct tint. Impressive.
Post #195116 20th Dec 2012 12:40pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Chawton White
blackwolf wrote:
Andy Jeff wrote:

Andy

Not sure what you mean. How do you manage to damage the rubber getting the screen out?

Flat windscreens are inherently easier to damage than curved ones. So as to not run the risk, and given the relatively low cost (I've never paid more than a fiver for one), I've always sacrificed the old seal for a new one when having the screen out. That said, I've only ever had windscreens out when I'm not replacing them e.g. for resprays, and I want to put them back undamaged. Seals are prone to cracking over time anyway (both our Defenders are 10+ yrs old) and benefit from replacement!

Like I said, only my opinion!

Andy.
Post #195119 20th Dec 2012 12:53pm
blackwolf

Andy, thanks, now I understand. I have only had screens removed for replacement, they've always been chipped and have all cracked through the chip during removal.

If you need to reuse the screen then sacrificing the rubber to de-risk the glass removal sounds a good idea.
Post #195165 20th Dec 2012 6:13pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I've worked in the windscreen game for ten years, some of those with Autoglass.

As BM52 says, it depends on the fitter.
As for the glass, if it's heated and tinted..I'm sure it will be, there is nothing to worry about, the make, branding etc, don't worry too much about the label, I've removed hundreds of Land Rover Genuine glass at main dealers that have been faulty.

The rubber does usually crack around the corners, so a new rubber is a good thing, a good fitter 'should' run a bead of seal around the rubber before he strings it in, it rarely happens as this takes time and is messy. 9.95 times out of ten, fitters will not seal it and it won't leak, so don't be too fussed, just check after fitting.

Problems? Ideally the side trims need to come off on the inside, as wires run behind them, fitters have screwed through the wires in the past.
Chances are, you may get an experienced fitter.... As most screens are bonded nowadays, a 'string in' is rare, and a crap fitter will crack the screen fitting.
At the end of the day, Autoglass is a huge company....I've known them buy customers new cars after epic Censored ups Thumbs Up
I could go on.....
Post #195214 20th Dec 2012 9:16pm
Thud

Have to say the fitter did a great job. Pilkington glass fitted of the correct tint in double quick time. The really good news is there is no sign of corrosion to be seen. Happy days.
Post #195684 22nd Dec 2012 3:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1