↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cutting out the passenger footwell water leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Cutting out the passenger footwell water leak
Several people have reported water leaking into the passenger footwell - especially after heavy rain.
Typically this is coupled with observations that water is leaking out of the heater matrix.

Given that the air vent for the heating points directly upwards on the near side wing and the equivalent blanking plate on the other wing always collects quite a puddle, is it possible that water entering the vent is finding its way to the lowest point - and leaking out of the matrix in passenger footwell?

I've not looked but I wonder whether there is supposed to be a drain hole somewhere en route that is either too small or blocked.

It might also be possible to put one of those silly ram-type vent covers on the wing to prevent rain water entering directly. I guess that might introduce a similar problem when driving through heavy rain (which will probably avoid the current vent).

Any thoughts? One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #18877 26th Nov 2009 10:48am
Paul55

England 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Mine also leaked in the passenger footwell Big Cry took it to the stealers and they found it was coming through the door seal at the top, they replaced seal and problem solved Razz Cogito ergo sum
Post #18878 26th Nov 2009 10:53am
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
I thought there was a drain along the air intake.

Either that or I'm confusing it with my Tdi - on which the blower motor has drowned Big Cry - in which the drain was clogged up. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #18881 26th Nov 2009 12:24pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Water Ingress!
I have had a period where I have unfortunately had to have two windscreens replaced within a short amount of time. Initially in severe downpours I too had water dripping from under the dashboard on the passenger side footwell. On the initial windscreen removal I was shocked to see exactly how much water and grime was sat in the windscreen channel on the outside of the vehicle. (With seal removed). The company that was fitting the replacement screen said it was a known corrosion hotspot on Defenders and that the windscreen and seal should be sealed to prevent both water ingress and corrosion particularily along the lower edge. No problems since! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #18882 26th Nov 2009 12:25pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Two seal outlet issues. First is the water outlet seal under the heater air intake box. The next is the main water/condensation outlet seal that gets blocked, this is located in the transmission tunnel about 200mm in front of the gear leaver. Stick your hand above the gearbox and you will feel a rubber teat Shocked give it a wiggle and water should run down your arm Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter
Post #18891 26th Nov 2009 4:16pm
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Thanks Andrew I hadn't got around to checking where the water drain was. Does it leak on to anything important, like the Disco2's did? 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #18900 26th Nov 2009 8:27pm
gtveloce65

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
My old Td5 leaked on both sides - turned out to be the seals around the windscreen 'hinges' as the water was seeping through the bolts and down the inside of the bulkhead.

Fixed by the dealers under warranty, and haven't had a problem with the current Tdci (plenty of others, though!!) 1953 80
1965 Alfa Romeo GT Veloce Sprint
1980 Fiat 124 Spider
2008 110xs
Post #20278 16th Dec 2009 5:57pm
lrdxb110

United Arab Emirates 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I was reading this topic a few days back and it recently came to my attension, I got my defender washed last week at the car wash and on my way back water was dripping from under the accelorator and brake pedals just a few drips of water nothing serious and the car wash was just a simple bodywash not the undercarriage and under the wheel arches a high water pressure steam was used too. Could it be something serious? Whistle '08 LR Defender 110
'08 Mini Cooper S - Sidewalk
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #20592 23rd Dec 2009 7:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I doubt it is serious. There are plenty of places for a Defender to leak - in fact, they're designed to (sort of).

It will prove pretty much impossible to properly make it watertight. I just installed some rubber mats and then I don't really care.

At some point in the future, some part of it will rust. If I still have it then I'll just get that part repaired or replaced. No big deal. Every car will rust somewhere so ours is nothing special - at least much of the bodywork is Aluminium.

I wouldn't worry if it's only a few drops. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #20610 23rd Dec 2009 1:18pm
WoodyV8

United Kingdom 
I have a silly ram intake on my heater (fitted by previous owner) and I get lakes in my driver's footwell. I am 99% sure that it isn't coming from the heater at all. My guess it some seal somewhere, but which one I do not know. Anything you can do, I can do slower and less efficiently.
Post #20739 26th Dec 2009 3:08pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Sorry to drag this up again !

I have been trying to eliminate the water leak on the passenger side of my vehicle.

Originally I found water dripping out of the heater vent - purchased a black heater vent cover from IRB Developments (damn fine bit of kit Thumbs Up ) and that stopped that one.

However, water was still getting in. Sprayed the front of the vehicle and found that the water was either coming from the windscreen or the foam seal under it.

Just spoken to the dealer and they said that if it is the foam seal it is a roof off job - they have just done one.

Time to buy some black silicone sealer as I don't fancy having the complete roof removed if the seal is the problem - I hate to think how many new problems this will cause !

Bob
Post #25773 4th Mar 2010 2:04pm
ken

United Kingdom 
gtveloce65 wrote:
My old Td5 leaked on both sides - turned out to be the seals around the windscreen 'hinges' as the water was seeping through the bolts and down the inside of the bulkhead.

Fixed by the dealers under warranty, and haven't had a problem with the current Tdci (plenty of others, though!!)

Yup thats what I have Thumbs Up
Post #25775 4th Mar 2010 2:45pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
gtveloce65 wrote:

Fixed by the dealers under warranty, and haven't had a problem with the current Tdci (plenty of others, though!!)

Fixed that one as well Thumbs Up

The leak on mine is from the front screen somewhere. The water ends up on the cable for the heated screen and drips down from there.

If I look along the top of the body panel, where the foam gasket is under the windscreen, on the inside I can see stains from where water has come in. This is why the dealer is suspicious that the foam gasket is the problem.

I am going to test it again at the weekend to see if I can identify if it is the gasket or the screen seal that is leaking - hopefully the windscreen seal.

Bob
Post #25779 4th Mar 2010 3:12pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Just had my window re sealed, looks like it done the job... thanks to K9 Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #25781 4th Mar 2010 3:17pm
Fandango

Jersey 
Bob

I have exactly the same issue. Stealer has had 3 attempts so far. (leaking grommets, replaced seal, adjusted hinges) Still leaks. Let us know how you get on. ----------
2021 D250 90 X-Dynamic HSE
2020 IPace - Gone
2015 RRS - Gone
2011 Disco 4 - long gone
2009 TDCi 90 CSW - long long gone
Post #25782 4th Mar 2010 3:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>