↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cutting out the passenger footwell water leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Fandango wrote:
Bob

I have exactly the same issue. Stealer has had 3 attempts so far. (leaking grommets, replaced seal, adjusted hinges) Still leaks. Let us know how you get on.

Did they replace the foam rubber seal under the windscreen on yours ? That is where my dealer thinks the water is getting in.

The vehicle they have just replaced the foam seal on now has no leaks in the passenger side at all.

Probably leaks everywhere else as they have to take the roof off to change the seal properly Laughing

Bob
Post #25787 4th Mar 2010 3:35pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Mine's going in next week for this (amongst other things). I'll bet they can't diagnose it. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #25804 4th Mar 2010 8:16pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Fekete had a long, long ongoing issue with this which is now hopefully sorted but it took alot of cajoling to get the dealers to look in the right direction which was the same as mine a leaking windscreen seal due to the build up of crud in the exterior gutter! To rectify it the windscreen has to be removed and there is a danger of damaging it on removal, hence the reluctance to investigate this until every other avenue has been exhausted! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #25807 4th Mar 2010 8:26pm
Fandango

Jersey 
Bob

I'm still trying to find out exactly what they did as none of the seals look like they have been replaced/displaced. They had to keep it over night as the seal needed "bonding" which needed to set before I could have it back.

Maybe one of the salemen didn't have a lift home that night. Not that I'm a skeptic! ----------
2021 D250 90 X-Dynamic HSE
2020 IPace - Gone
2015 RRS - Gone
2011 Disco 4 - long gone
2009 TDCi 90 CSW - long long gone
Post #25824 4th Mar 2010 10:29pm
K9F

With mine they removed the windscreen, and took out the seal they cleaned the gutter thoroughly of all the accumulated dirt and water and then applied a silicon bead around the frame, refitted the seal and screen and wiped away any excess sealant. Result water tight windscreen and no more wet carpets. I was in for a screen replacement anyway!
It was a windscreen replacement company that sorted out my long running issue, I mentioned to them I had been suffering with water ingress and they stated "It was a common occurrence with Defenders and they knew exactly what the problem was!" With mine and Fekete's issues it appears they may have been right! The front screen isn't normally bonded at all - From your post Fandango it appears that they too have sorted your issue with the mention of curing time. (Depends on what they used, mine didn't need curing time as it was dry weather at the time).
Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #25846 5th Mar 2010 9:00am
Fandango

Jersey 
Sadly - still leaks Mad

Will be going back again! ----------
2021 D250 90 X-Dynamic HSE
2020 IPace - Gone
2015 RRS - Gone
2011 Disco 4 - long gone
2009 TDCi 90 CSW - long long gone
Post #25849 5th Mar 2010 9:47am
K9F

Ask them if they removed the windscreen as per the post above and exactly what they did do? If not insist on it if you suspect it's coming from there! It has been proven to be a problematic area! In Fekete's and my cases they had the intelligence to do a leak check afterwards, did yours not do the same??? Good luck, let us know how you get on!
Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #25850 5th Mar 2010 9:51am
scatt

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alpine White
Ive had a water leak since day one and they always blamed something else other than the car. Tey have had to remove the dash to replace the heater controls so did some water testing with the dash out. After resealing the screen 3 times, they found the water was coming through the heater!! and have replaced it. So hopefully when i speak to them today the car will finally be dry!!! no more frozen windows. . . . on the inside Thumbs Up
Post #25851 5th Mar 2010 10:05am
bob neville

The leak on my vehicle is from under the front trim about half an inch from the end of the channel behind the trim. The actual point is between the end of the door stay and the channel. I took part of the dash off last week and that is when I found water dripping off the screen heater cables and the stains along the bulkhead.

Also, the plastic between the door and the dash has lots of water marks. When I spoke to the dealer yesterday they said these were exactly the same symptoms as the one one they had just had to take the roof off.

They did say that it could be the windscreen, if fact they hope it is, that is why I am going to investigate further this weekend.

One good thing if they do have to remove the roof, they said they will sort out the cracking paint on the seams and in the gutters Thumbs Up

Bob
Post #25853 5th Mar 2010 10:08am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Got up this morning and all my foot wells are nice and dry the screen has fixed mine Bow down Bow down Thanks to me old Mucker K9 for pointing me in the right direction NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #25860 5th Mar 2010 11:50am
K9F

Result!!!!! Mrs F can get the waders on Flea Bay along with the rest of your scuba gear now then!

Before you come back at me - Yes I am feeling 'tyred!'

I have indeed had a 'tyreless' afternoon!

Finally no I am not thinking of repainting my Land Rover blue and calling it Thomas!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #25876 5th Mar 2010 2:41pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Top man K9 I'd be throwing my dummy out the pram if i had to wait 6 weeks Big Cry
Had no bids on Flea bay for the scuba gear they said it has had too much use Rolling with laughter NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #25881 5th Mar 2010 3:08pm
stephenl242

United Kingdom 
dealers had mine for 2 weeks now and still cant find leak only owned the puma for 3 week they had it longer than i owned it now Sad
Post #25886 5th Mar 2010 4:46pm
bob neville

stephenl242 wrote:
dealers had mine for 2 weeks now and still cant find leak only owned the puma for 3 week they had it longer than i owned it now Sad

Stephen

Get them to spray water on the foam seal under the windscreen especially under the non operational windscreen hinges. This is where the rail channel ends and all the water runs down when the vehicle is stationary. My dealer thinks it is wicking back into the foam seal from there.

If I look at my foam seal there is no sign of damage, holes etc so if the water is getting in via there then it must be wicking through the foam.

The vehicle only leaks when it has been stood in heavy rain and the annoying thing is that it only started a few weeks ago.

Bob
Post #25893 5th Mar 2010 5:42pm
stephenl242

United Kingdom 
Bob
they replaced that now they think its coming through wiper linkage
getting fed up now lost that new car feeling
Post #25918 5th Mar 2010 8:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>