Home > In Car Electronics > The definitive SATNAV thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
defender4 wrote:

Move switches to the side of dash like Brendan, very neat:

I was just going to suggest that but wasn't sure it was an possible option or not. That would work just fine. Although personally I couldn't see it worthy of the cost and anguish of fitting it as it really doesn't cause a problem as I've been using mine now for over 3 years. You can also if you like adjust the slide of the screen forwards a little and that gives you room to use the buttons behind anyway. Wink Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #241917 8th Jun 2013 10:25am
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Looks neat - but I don't think it's worth the potential aggravation without the double DIN conversion...
Post #241937 8th Jun 2013 11:36am
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
bpman wrote:
I've been running the dezl760 for a week or so now.

I don't like the 5.3gb download that needs to be run to update the device and that it does not come with a protective carry case, but I have access to an extreeeeemly fast network, so the download was ok. There are a few wideboys on ebay trying to sell garmin carry cases for > 30, when you can buy them from Garmin for a 10.

- The satnav unit itself is great. the live traffic (using dab not fm) warns of traffic on your route - this works well
- Bluetooth / iphone functionality - just works (way better than the parrot radio jobbie which died and is still in it's box in the garage)
- information, for example, hotels, garages ... using the touch screen, gives you more details about the place
- a good sized 7" screen
- and i should be able to load a gpx file (although I've not tried it yet)
- looking at camera options at the moment

so far 9/10 ... for the Garmin Dezl760

Interesting about dab not fm. May partly account for its high price. I bought a case for 10. Also a sun shield. Be interested in your choice & set up for rear view camera. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #241977 8th Jun 2013 3:37pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
update for dezl760 - the "helpful" software updater is busy, this checks garmin's website and tells me if there is a new version available... so far I have run 2x 5.3gb European map downloads plus a firmware upgrade, thankfully their updating process is smoother than parrots !

Overall, still pleased with the unit, this week I used it in "that London", I like the congestion charge and environment zone warnings. also when you get close to your arrival point, it flags up car parks ... how good is that Thumbs Up

I have tested the parking camera but not had time to do much else with it ... lots of work going on at "casa BP" at the moment.
Post #252525 20th Jul 2013 8:27am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
As my trusty TomTom Go 910 has finally given up the ghost and won't charge anymore, and I'm going on holiday at the end of the week, I've bought myself a new toy in the shape of this TomTom Start 25M:

Click image to enlarge

It has a nice big 5 inch screen, covers all of western Europe and includes free maps for life for only 100 from Halfords. Very pleased Mr. Green

When I get around to it, I plan to fit a socket behind the dash and route the cable up through the ash tray for a more semi-permanent install, but that'll have to wait until after hols. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #258163 12th Aug 2013 2:32pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
bpman wrote:
update for dezl760 - the "helpful" software updater is busy, this checks garmin's website and tells me if there is a new version available... so far I have run 2x 5.3gb European map downloads plus a firmware upgrade, thankfully their updating process is smoother than parrots !

Overall, still pleased with the unit, this week I used it in "that London", I like the congestion charge and environment zone warnings. also when you get close to your arrival point, it flags up car parks ... how good is that Thumbs Up

I have tested the parking camera but not had time to do much else with it ... lots of work going on at "casa BP" at the moment.

I've found that, unlike my 1440, house names keyboard stays ABC, though all others go QWERTY. Also, & more annoyingly, the space button stays deactivated until all the listed places in its memory have been offered & rejected.

I'm unsure as to whether this is a fault, or Garmin trying to be more user-friendly. The more auto-dumbed-down software gets, the harder it is to enter anything without the "how about these first" hurdles to jump. Confused Mad Banging Head Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #259602 18th Aug 2013 12:39pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Steve - you still happy with the Garman unit, where do you have it mounted? any pics? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #276413 24th Oct 2013 7:40pm
bpman

Yes, very happy with it, the free traffic is very useful

I'll bring it along to the Exmoor day you can have a play with it
Post #276453 24th Oct 2013 8:54pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
that would be good cheers Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #276492 24th Oct 2013 11:44pm
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I use a Nexus 7 with navigator app (free) works well and no data connection required! Thumbs Up
Post #277671 29th Oct 2013 12:05am
bpman

last week I purchased a garmin garage for my satnav, on amazon for about 60, on garmin website for about 100.

it plugs into the obd2 port and then connects via bluetooth to the satnav (dezl760). it then gives you a bunch of extras on the satnav including temperature, boost pressure, mpg.. probably about 20 additional things. I've tried it on my 07 puma and my beemer 123d, works fine.

it also traces and resets any fault codes recorded and generates excel files with trip info, speed, distance, start/stop times, mpg etc. Great if you drive for a living and do monthly expenses.
Post #278740 2nd Nov 2013 10:05am
termohe

Belgium 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
bpman wrote:
but i struggled to find any decent electronic mapping for Europe.

Have a look at Oziexplorer. You can find all maps of Europe online
Post #279336 4th Nov 2013 1:18pm
bpman

ran an update onto the dezl today, worked ok but whilst loading I had a browse around the garmin website, the "basecamp" application is now installed on my spectre laptop, it allows me to share maps from the satnav and process gpx files etc.

I'll be doing some route planning in a couple of weeks for the summer, this will come in handy Thumbs Up
Post #299412 16th Jan 2014 8:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678