↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Freedom of Speech on the forum
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 13 <123 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
jasong4110

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Java Black
I must say that I have also been disappointed that over the last couple of months this forum seems to have turned into a e-shop for forum sponsors and their products. It is not just the £60 bits of metal but many other things.

The worst bit seems to be when someone comments on the price of something, and get shot down in flames by the sponsors supporters... It interesting that when an item gets posted up that represents value for money certain sponsors are quick enough to point out why 'it's crap' and why you should not buy that and buy their product often at three times the price.

However when the shoe is on the other foot comments quickly get heated personal and threads often get deleted!!

I know that the sponsors pay for this forum however I also feel there should be some parity, otherwise users will get disenfranchised and vote with their URL's then everyone looses out.

Jason.
Post #186205 18th Nov 2012 10:28pm
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
I think we should be careful of the generalisation of forum sponsors. It is unjust as there are many individuals who happen to sponsor the forum that offer a wealth of knowledge freely to this site. A lot of this bulks up the credibility of the posts that are present on this forum and give people like myself who aren't mechanically minded the confidence to undertake often small adjustments to our vehicles with confidence, preserving that feel good factor of owning One of these epic vehicles. You can't buy that from their websites.

Yes some people (including myself) get a bit carried away but then I believe that it is a small percentage of the postings within this forum and offers often a comical value to people's perceptions and understandings.

My glass is half full. ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #186214 18th Nov 2012 10:54pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Okay - here goes...

I am fine with dealer-sponsors on the forum, insofar as they pay to support the forum in order to peddle their wares (not forgetting that many are private members/fanatics anyway). I also benefit from information about those wares (albeit a bit one-sided) and discount if I take the bait. However, I also believe that if a dealer-sponsor is allowed to politely "push" a very expensive product on a public forum, I should be allowed to politely and publicly "push" back, and ask why it's so expensive.
I would hope said sponsor would then go on to explain in detail why it was so expensive*. If his explanation was reasonable and well founded, I would applaud his excellent taste. If it was something like "it's just quality you pleb, but you wouldn't appreciate that, would you", I would assume he couldn't give any reasonable explanation and hope other members got the message too.

It needn't go further that that!

I am entitled to my opinion and others are entitled to ignore it.

As for "expensive German metal" - Rammstein albums are quite cheap and more to my taste:

Thumbs Up

*I'm pretty sure a good dealer thoroughly researches his goods before stocking them so he knows and can explain precisely what features make them more attractive vs. the opposition.
p.s. for "his" above, please read "his/hers" Whistle Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...

Last edited by ZeDefender on 18th Nov 2012 11:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #186226 18th Nov 2012 11:32pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
I would say that the in general I like this forum and appreciate the views put forward irrespective of whether I agree with them or not.
Most forumites are more than capable of spotting a "marketing post " and can choose to ignore it so it drops off the page quietly.
Any one that wants to buy the emperors new clothes is free to do so and can wax lyrical about them, that is fine by me but in no way influences my purchasing decisions. Equally if a sponsors wants to exercise their free speech and slag the competition I will not be swayed by that.
Only abusive or threatening posts should be blocked in my opinion.
Post #186230 18th Nov 2012 11:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wslr

United Kingdom 
I'm not a sponsor because it is too expensive. If I had to cover this sponsorship then I'd be pushing my products. I don't think you realise just how much it is.

Also, you've probably noticed none of the sponsors have commented. I doubt this is through embarrassment. More likely they feel they can't reply as they have been branded sponsor status and as such, have a hand tied behind their back.

In short, they can't win.

Personally, each to their own. Who cares if the product is cheap or expensive? I know who I trust and who I can buy from. If the quality and product are good, I would buy it.
Post #186232 18th Nov 2012 11:52pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
but it would be nice if the sponsors are allowed to explain why a product is expensive - it may be quite relevant. To do so, they have to be asked and if a sponsor advertises publicly, questioning and discussion should also be public (otherwise a forum is useless). Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #186233 19th Nov 2012 12:00am
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
JJ wrote:

Agree entirely. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and, so long as it is inoffensive, they should be able to express it. We're all grown-ups and we can all make our own decisions. Some may argue that the forum sponsors are biased towards their own products - of course they are! They're trying to sell them, and what's more, they're paying for the privilege. I am not aware of any site sponsors that don't make a positive contribution to the forum, and many of them offer sound advice and knowledge to other forum members, as well as some good deals.

Most of the time we all get along just fine! 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #186234 19th Nov 2012 12:07am
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
I do like quality and im pretty fussy when it comes to bits for my 90- The expensive German range i think we all figure is Entreq and Nak, yes the prices are quite a fair bit but trust me when i say this the quality is out of this world. I purchased a britpart stainless grill for my 90 i hated it in every way possible ( but this is me) i was honest when selling it and a forum member brought it from me and loves it. i have know gone on to purchase a grill/surround kit from Brendan which comes from Nak at almost 5 times the price of the britpart grill Shocked but wow is all i can say its finished so well and everything fits perfectly. I know bits seem alot and some stuff i dont agree with but quality in my eyes is a must especially on a land rover were nothing fits right Whistle Laughing with the handfull of bits i sell through the forum im always willing to give advice as on many occasions when someone has asked for something i have gave honest advice and in some cases have turned them away from that certain product im trying to sell on. Cheap is not always the way but a bargain can always be had Thumbs Up Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #186240 19th Nov 2012 12:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Re: Freedom of Speech on the forum
Lorryman100 wrote:
[now I don't really bother with this forum anymore other than visiting it occasionally

... Clearly noticed that and a real loss of one of the best tech experts ever seen on here... Sad You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #186246 19th Nov 2012 4:26am
ken

United Kingdom 
I truly believe that it’s a testament to the members of this site that the only moderator is Martin on Defender2
Disco3 RRsnort ,BabyRR Freel2 & fullfatrr all require active moderation let’s keep it that way
Thumbs Up
Post #186251 19th Nov 2012 9:10am
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Re: Freedom of Speech on the forum
RRUK wrote:
I just want it recorded officially that I am becoming increasingly disappointed with the members' inability to have freedom of speech and to be able to voice their own opinions.

I understand that everyone can buy whatever products they like from whoever they like, but there are certain members on here that slate you if you dare mention certain products, manufacturers or suppliers, and it seems your face only fits if you buy other certain products, from key sponsors on this forum.

I've had my opinions deleted from threads, and I don't feel that what I said was out of turn in any way, it may have been in the wrong section, but I should still be allowed to voice my opinions.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way, and it's really disappointing because in general all Land Rover fanatics out there are great guys. From the stuff I read on this forum it's increasingly putting me off posting or even coming to the forum, and that's a great shame.

You should try coming onto the Range Rover forum, a nicer bunch of inviting people you couldn't hope to meet, we welcome everyone, no matter what age their L322 RR, and there's no hidden agendas or sponsor pressure. And guess what? We don't all want to buy the most expensive add-ons we can find from one manufacturer because they are so "engineered", we like value for money.

Anyone else got an opinion?

Well said.

Quote:
Then there is the biggest cause of contests on this forum, remap suppliers!!!!!! A subject that involves me going up into the loft to don a flak jacket, before daring to comment on any aspect of that particular subject. That plus the comments on certain other posts means that now I don't really bother with this forum anymore other than visiting it occasionally, or to answer a pm and maybe posting my opinion and stating that, to dispel any sycophantic ramblings from a misconstrued slant against my choice of supplier over theirs. I like this forum a lot which is why I probable keep coming back instead of just deleting the bookmark, and just maybe I'm hoping it goes back to the way it was before.

Again this is just my own opinion whether it is right or wrong.

Agree.

Quote:
I must say that I have also been disappointed that over the last couple of months this forum seems to have turned into a e-shop for forum sponsors and their products. It is not just the £60 bits of metal but many other things.

The worst bit seems to be when someone comments on the price of something, and get shot down in flames by the sponsors supporters... It interesting that when an item gets posted up that represents value for money certain sponsors are quick enough to point out why 'it's crap' and why you should not buy that and buy their product often at three times the price.

However when the shoe is on the other foot comments quickly get heated personal and threads often get deleted!!

I know that the sponsors pay for this forum however I also feel there should be some parity, otherwise users will get disenfranchised and vote with their URL's then everyone looses out.

Again agree.

I hardly post these days mostly because what has been written above, sad really.

I have many products sold by some sponsors here, some are very good some not. I have a modest income and try to send it wisely so when a product turns out to be less than expected you can't say anything or else you get immediately jumped on in a big way.So if a member asks "is this a good product?" they will get 10 "yes it is fantastic and worth every penny" but nobody can post "well it for me was a waist of money because .....".

I visit here less and less and mainly because it seems a forum run by the sponsors and their mates which is a real shame. Now that said I would like to say that some of the sponsors should not be tared with the same brush. I feel a little sorry for these guys as in my eyes they don't deserve it.

Sorry if this upsets some of you but I rather feel I have nothing to lose any more.

Boy
Post #186260 19th Nov 2012 9:59am
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
My name is Tim and I am a recovering site sponsor

Yes it is very difficult to reply to this thread objectively and without fanning the flames

I sell good value for money items some of which are expensive

Wherever possible we try to source and manufacturer in the UK and do so for most of our brackets and metalwork. We also assemble all of our wiring kits in the UK. The majority of our lighting comes from the US through our choice over China.

I try to help on as many topics as possible and admit if I feel one of our products would help then I will mention it.

I am not a box shifter and actively get involed with every level possible of the product from design to physical installation in order to better understand it and help the customer.

I sometimes get it wrong Big Cry

I really do not want to be tarred and feathered

We have been involved with forums and sponsorship since 1996.
Post #186262 19th Nov 2012 10:11am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Any my two-penneth...

IMHO any issues involving animosity with sponsors is very minor. It happens (probably slightly more than it should...), but it's a very small percentage of threads on here. Otherwise this is a fantastic forum for Puma (and to other Defenders), and I hope the relatively minor spats don't cause too much unrest in our community.

For me personally, all my interactions with fellow forum members - personal and trade/sponsor - have been excellent. Some trade/forum sponsors (example's I've had dealings with: Brendan/Leeds, Defenderbits/Andrew, Dan/Duckworths) have been excellent, and have involved both great advice and competitive prices. And as jasong says "the sponsors pay for this forum"...

Advice and help (and for sale/wanted) dealings with other fellow members have been awesome, and have increased the ownership value of my Defender...it's like one big club owning an icon Thumbs Up

So - please let's keep the minor spats in context, and keep enjoying this forum "club" with all of it's helpful members. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #186263 19th Nov 2012 10:16am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
but it would be nice if the sponsors are allowed to explain why a product is expensive - it may be quite relevant. To do so, they have to be asked and if a sponsor advertises publicly, questioning and discussion should also be public (otherwise a forum is useless).

Green Machine wrote:
JJ wrote:

Agree entirely. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and, so long as it is inoffensive, they should be able to express it. We're all grown-ups and we can all make our own decisions. Some may argue that the forum sponsors are biased towards their own products - of course they are! They're trying to sell them, and what's more, they're paying for the privilege. I am not aware of any site sponsors that don't make a positive contribution to the forum, and many of them offer sound advice and knowledge to other forum members, as well as some good deals.

Most of the time we all get along just fine!

I agree, and I wrote a well thought out piece that was then deleted before anyone could read it. In essence it said this:

The reaction of a sponsor to a forum member saying "that products is really expensive" should be a calm and considered one, and maybe, just maybe, offering an alternative product to the member, showing that he understands we all have different needs, requirements and budgets. It certainly should not be one of a condescending nature, slagging that person off because they clearly don't understand what an engineered product is and they have no taste and can't afford quality parts. It is NEVER about what you can afford, but what you are willing to pay. I could go out and buy a new Range Rover tomorrow if I wanted to, but I choose to buy them a few years old and SAVE money. I work Bloody hard for my money, unsociable hours, travelling the globe, so when I spend some of it on parts, I am very selective.

For example, I personally don't see the advantage in me buying an Entreq mud flap bracket for £100 when I can buy a pair of OE ones with mudflaps for a quarter of the price, even though the Entreq unit is so well 'engineered' it will outlast my vehicle and my ownership of it, so it's just a waste of my hard earned disposable income. I am not keeping the vehicle for life. An OE one, with a coat of Hammerite or stone chip will last as long as I need it to, and if it did rust through I could then afford to replace it. The Entreq unit could also just as easily be ruined or damaged off road, so I see little point in paying more for something that I don't need to, no matter how amazing the quality and how nice the lettering on it.

Just because that's MY way of thinking doesn't mean it applies to everyone sure, but if the person selling the expensive gear is a verbal bully towards me just because I express an opinion he doesn't like or agree with then that's wrong, and that person should be taken to task, and there should be no reason why we shouldn't all be made aware of their anti-social attitude. But then if that gets deleted from the forum before anyone else can comment, that is also wrong.

Whilst I am fully aware that forums sometimes need sponsors to keep them going, the forum owner (i.e. Martin) needs to recognise who is a good sponsor and who isn't. It's not all about the money they pay, it's also about how they are perceived, what do forum members think of them, do they add value or detract from the perception of my forum to it's members. Since I spoke up, you should read some of the PMs I've had in support of standing up for myself, they make interesting reading and all say the same thing. I have merely highlighted a real issue that has been there for some time it would seem. A forum that is run by the Sponsors for the sponsors and their clique group is pointless. It's just a load of sycophantic Yes men, all slapping each others backs and crowing about their latest product. How boring is that? It's certainly not what I use a forum for.

There are many great companies out there in the Land Rover arena who would make great sponsors, one of the best I've seen is Duckworths Parts. Dan offers all the forums some great deals and he is a pleasure to deal with. Sponsors like that are worth ten of the 'other type'. And guess what makes them a great company to deal with? Customer Service.

I could go on and on, but having read everyone's comments it seems 95% of us feel the same. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #186264 19th Nov 2012 10:18am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Morning all.

Thank you all for your comments regarding the site and how it is run, and how site sponsors mix with forum members. It is a real shame that only raising a matter in public gets members to share their opinions, rather than contacting me with feedback so I can deal with issues as they happen.

Those of you who have been around Defender2 or any of my other sites will know that it is not my policy to delete discussions at the drop of a hat - the thread in question which was the catalyst for this thread to be started was a genuine one-off case and if I may, I'd like to explain the course of action in that case.

What actually happened was that a sponsor posted in their own forum that a new product was for sale. In amongst the questions regarding specification, etc, developed a (somewhat heated) discussion over pricing, which I felt was not appropriate in that thread. I split the thread out, renaming the pricing discussion "Aerial pricing discussion" and placing it in Off Topic as my perceived best fit.

I'm sure a number of people saw the thread in this state: still in existence but split from a sponsor's listing.

I then received a complaint, both via PM and on the public forum, that the thread appeared to make out one member as the instigator of the pricing discussion, when in fact (and unknown to me) this members comments were made in jest towards a good friend. Rather than start editing the thread and removing some members' comments and leaving others, which I hope you'll agree is not acceptable, I removed the thread from public view. With the benefit of everyone's hindsight there are no doubt a number of other options, but I took what I thought to be the best course of action at the time.

Moving on from the singular case and onto the matter of the forum in general.

Again, those of you who know this forum or my others will know that moderation is used extremely sparingly, with a bias towards tidiness rather than suppression. Messages are genuinely only removed when offensive or when a thread degenerates into pointless arguing. That this is still possible with the volume of messages and users is a huge credit to the membership, who by-and-large do get on well.

I have absolutely no problem with the existence of threads discussing pricing of kit from sponsors. This has happened a number of times before, particularly when comparing sponsors' remap pricing to cheap eBay offerings, and these have all remained in place on the forum. This kind of feedback is important to sponsors, however I don't think it is best placed in immediate response to a sponsor listing a product for sale. This is in much the same way that public "spoiling" replies to For Sale posts aren't allowed.

So there is absolutely no pressure from sponsors to remove threads or for me to protect their interests, I hope that they wish to sponsor and take part on Defender2 because they like the forum as it is, without a view to "getting their own way".

I openly admit that I don't spend all day every day reading every new post on Defender2 - testament to its generally trouble-free atmosphere - would ask that, wherever possible, anyone who feels that posts or threads have overstepped the mark do take a few seconds to drop a report in so my attention is drawn to it. This helps address issues as they occur, rather than letting matters fester and resentment set in.

We have a range of members on the forum from those building up brand new 110s and 130s into the ultimate expedition vehicle, through those using Pumas for work, to those with a Tdi or Td5 (or older) as a toy or project. This is no different in reality to, say, fullfatrr.com, comparing an early 2002 Range Rover owner to a prospective owner of a new 2013 model.

All of these owners have different requirements and budgets, and I think it's important to realise that there will not always be agreement between everyone over what is the "best". Constructive discussion is definitely encouraged, but I see little point of bitter, argumentative posting and I hope most agree with this.

I appreciate that there is a balance to be sought between the use of the site by its members and its sponsors, and this is not always so clear cut as "members here, sponsors here" as many sponsors are enthusiasts too. I've tried to improve matters from a few months ago by introducing the individual sponsors' forums which I hope has balanced the promotional activity by sponsors within the other forum areas.

To make it clear, sponsors don't apply any pressure to have posts removed or discussions biased - I simply will not do it. Any decision to tidy the site is mine, and mine alone.

I realise there are those who would prefer there to be no sponsorship activity on the site at all, and those who would be completely happy with an enormous list of sponsors promoting in every possible place. I would hope that this site maintains a healthy balance between the two. It could be very easy to attract extra sponsors by cutting the sponsorship rates to the floor and flood the forum with advertising, but that is not something I will do, so I hope that people therefore realise why the rates are what they are.

There is absolutely no way that I can please everybody but I do, genuinely, try my very best and I am sorry if I've fallen short in some peoples' eyes. I'm not out to run a forum that people don't want to be a part of.

Martin  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #186271 19th Nov 2012 11:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 13 <123 ... 111213>