↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > non desirable car features and options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
See what happens if you get a splash of mud or bird .... on the screen where the sensor is and see what happens.
Whistle
Auto lights is a good idea though as it's easy to forget in well lit areas at night! Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #176547 17th Oct 2012 4:36pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Green Machine wrote:
HATE auto wipers, do my head in! Got them on the Golf and you can pretty much guarantee they're always doing exactly what you don't want them to! Starts drizzling gently, no wipers, no wipers, still no wipers . . . stops drizzling . . . wipers on full whack. Brilliant. In fairness, they do work OK most of the time, but light rain and darkness seem to be a bit of an issue for the sensor. What really bugs me about it is that VW have given me 'sensitivity control' on the wiper stalk, right, so that's a variable intermittent that doesn't work properly then. Give me a good old variable intermittent any day of the week!

I had them on my D3 and I have to say that they worked very well, speed went up with road speed, seemed to do just what I would have done, having said that it's not a must have gadget really, but fun for the first couple of times. I did find the auto on lights handy except when entering a long tunnel when they would come on and I always thought it looked like I was flashing the guy in front!

Again not a must have gadget.

I like :
heated seats - keeps the Mrs happy
electric windows - lazy Censored

don't like:
rear (or front) fog lights that come on in bright sunshine, ok when its foggy though
anything electric that goes wrong and costs a load of cash to fix!

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #176548 17th Oct 2012 4:41pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
custom90steve wrote:
With this so called stop start stuff. How the hell do you run any aux electrical items such as an Amp or a a power inverter or such like with a high current draw. To my mind it just doesn't work out right. Say your in stop start traffic what happens then... music go off every time you stop. Rolling with laughter Surely it'd kill the battery keep stopping and starting all the time on top of a current draw.

Thud

We has MSS on our Merc lorries at work. Nothing goes off except the engine - all the electrical gubbins continue to work. They do blip off momentarily on start up, the radio cuts out for a second or two but its no big issue really. My understanding is that if it was really cold, heater on, lights on, loads of extra bits like sat nav, phone charger, then the engine will not cut out even when you stop so as to keep up with electrical demand. Likewise, I think if it was sat for a while (for example a traffic jom) the engine will come back on if it detects a battery drain.
Post #176599 17th Oct 2012 7:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Dislikes....Traction control....... You can't do 'stunts' Laughing
Post #176625 17th Oct 2012 8:19pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
anything with a Skoda badge on it Rolling with laughter

and stop/start, EGRs, Cats, DPFs, chrome all make me Big Cry
Post #176670 17th Oct 2012 9:30pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
GREENI wrote:

I discovered you can but not with you in control Whistle
Post #176671 17th Oct 2012 9:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Three wheels isn't very desirable Whistle Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #176672 17th Oct 2012 9:31pm
Tony

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Stop-start technology, imagine all the cars that'll break down at junctions and in queues when the starter motors and batteries start getting tired! The manufacturers can't have much faith in it, I believe it can be turned off in most (all?) cars.

Pointless dash displays that tell you when to change gear. I hired a Golf that had this 'feature' last year, but it also had a tacho, so why fit both? The display was constantly telling me to change up a gear when I could see a hill ahead or traffic lights changing to red etc. Really annoying!
Post #176815 18th Oct 2012 2:05pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
When people start talking about 'auto this, auto that' I just think why?

When it rains I move my right finger 1 inch,

when it gets dark/ tunnel I move my left finger 2 inches

Is it REALLY that hard?... reminds me of the film 'shoot em up': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ibs6gyABz8

Some gadgets I do find handy though:

Heated seats- keeps the passenger happy.
Heated windscreen- AWESOME in cold conditions
Central locking and electric windows- more about convenience but makes life soo much easier.

Don't likes...... As above really- gadgets that make driving easy- the less you have to worry about the less you have tend to concentrate which ends up in accidents.

Don't even get me started on the enviroment

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #176818 18th Oct 2012 2:37pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think it all has to do with the big deception that we're making cars "safer" and as a result making the roads "safer".

In practice we are actually de-skilling the job of driving by removing decisions from the driver, making it possible for people who are more and more stupid to drive and believe that they are capable of doing so safely.

In fact, to make the roads truly safer we need to remove incapable drivers, and one way to do this would be to make cars so astonishingly complex to drive that only a few people can do work out how to do so.
Post #176821 18th Oct 2012 2:51pm
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
GREENI wrote:

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Aftermarket parking sensors bought from the local motor factors that you can 'fit yourself in 10 minutes'. Usually easy to spot, the sensors all wonky stuck to the back bumper with untidy wires going up through the boot... Fun to stop quite close behind them in traffic and watch them get annoyed trying to shut them up.... Whistle

Parking sensors on small cars annoy me, yeah on a Disco (or even a Freelander) they'll come in handy, but do you really need them on a Fiat Panda??
Post #176841 18th Oct 2012 4:05pm
megatoad

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Dislikes : ABS Shocked Yes I know, brilliant with all wheels on the same surface, but when you are going down a country lane and the n/s wheels hit mud its like you lose all braking control and dont know where the car is going to go, especially Land Rovers.

Electric cars, or at least the reality behind the cost to the environment of their construction especially to do with batteries, the waste in energy to charge them and their range

Overbearing systems that go "BONG" at you leaving you searching for some reason for the warning.

SatNav, a useful tool, occasionally, but no one knows WHERE they are or going, they just follow the machine, if I am going long distance then I study the route on maps, and streetview, I then know roughly where I am going and what are the waypoints, satnav is used for the final navigation through oneway systems etc.

Over the top ICE systems with amps and base boxes, a waste of space and over the top.

Climate Control, is it just me or can you never get the right airflow environment, I like warm feet, but a/c briefly warms the car then sits at a temp that is too cold, too cold, ... ... .. then suddenly a Sauna.

Air Con, I virtually never use it, I think I used it twice this year in the 110.

Chrome, heavily tinted windows, slammed suspension, low profile tyres.

BMW's

What I like :

Criuse Control, PAS, heated seats & windscreen, Turbo Diesels (for those who have experienced ancient gasping oil burners) light clutches, Disk Brakes all round

Crumple Zones (I still suffer from a bad back after hitting some idiot broadside when he U-turned right in fron of my 109)

Things about which I am somewhat ambivalent:

Auto Boxes, when you are in slow traffic in a manual and your knee is aching, however when you are in an Auto and blasting down a windy country lane you just wish you were back in a manual and could choose what gear and when,

Traction Control, the 110 is the first motor with it on, not quite convinced yet as I havnt used it (well once on Violets Lane it flickered on while the river flooded round the bottom of the doors) Cant quite see why a Defender needs it, especially having seen a RR and D3 roped together with all 8 wheels spinning on a muddy field, then a humble V8 CCV motor yanked em both off in the same pull Rolling with laughter He who dies with the most toys wins Smile

Defender 90 & 110, S1 80", Disco 1, S111 88
LRSOC & CVLRC
Post #176859 18th Oct 2012 6:42pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I would definitely want an auto, other than that I don't miss anything else really. A bit more sound proofing and maybe a decent security system would go a miss......
Post #176866 18th Oct 2012 6:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I like really basic cars, after driving clapped out Minis for about 20 years any sort of electronic assistance just seems rude. The biggest offender is anti-locking brakes, every time it kicks in we both let the brake off and end up hurtling down the road: fudge off will you, I'm driving. Hopefully I can unplug it in the Defender if it's too keen.

The two things I'd rather not do without are central locking, for quick security when you find yourself in less desirable places and air-con because driving a tin box in 40 degrees is awful without it. All the other stuff I could take or leave.
Post #176893 18th Oct 2012 7:54pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
For me electric windows in a defender are an essential in a defender, unless you are tall or an orang utan it is incredibly difficult to stop and talk to a passerby on the pavement. Central locking falls into this bracket too.
Can't personally see the point of lights that come on automatically because I am sensible enough to use my lights in gloomy conditions but I would like to enforce them on people driving silver or grey cars who think they don't need lights.
The totally pointless thing that I love in the smart is the outside temp gauge, I know I don't need it but I do like to know how cold/warm it is
Barbara
Post #177435 20th Oct 2012 3:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>