↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Worst campsite yet!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Worst campsite yet!
Callow Top in Ashbourne. Awful, truely awful.

Just returned from a weekend at this site, never again. Pitches are really cramped and packed together, clientele appeared really rough and most had green mould all over the fronts/roof of their vans, loads of drunken noise into the early ours of the morning. Bin area was a disgrace, one big skip piled high with rubbish. There was even a gypsy style wedding taking place on the Saturday night, fat bird in a pink wedding dress Shocked

With my 16 year old Defender and 8 year old caravan Im normally found oggling over everyone elses caravans, but not this time. Even I felt posh Laughing

Whats your worst caravan site?
Post #172769 2nd Oct 2012 8:14pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Sounds dreadful - my worst nightmare of camping / caravanning.

I tend to look for camp sites here -
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

Lots of details about the sites, and web links o the sites own webpages if they have them.

Most importantly many of the sites listed have recent reviews. Looking at the reviews for Callow Top you may not have decided to go there in the first place if you'd read them!

We stayed at 3 sites listed when away at the end of August. One of them (a small CS) was lovely (weather was foul though which spoilt it) and the other, a bigger site next to a pub, was as described although not as much our 'cup of tea' as the first one, it was very well maintained and the owners friendly. The third one, again, was as described but although it was relatively small and there wasn't a huge number of people there, I think we fell unlucky that there were some young people staying in one of the pods that were less than respectful of the peaceful setting than you would expect from the type of camper the site aims to attract. There was also a family with young children who were allowed to run around our tent (plenty of space elsewhere to run!) when we were in bed both in the evening and then first thing in the morning.

Otherwise the reviews pretty much matched what we found. Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net

Last edited by Pam W on 2nd Oct 2012 8:36pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #172777 2nd Oct 2012 8:29pm
WarPig

I do use that site also, but I take their reviews with a pinch of salt. I once posted a negative review on there and they refused to publish it, asking me for some positive points to 'balance' the review. I couldnt offer any positive points, and they never published my review. Not exactly independent me thinks Confused

But then thats one of the enjoyable aspects of caravanning, taking the rough with the smooth. But I reckon Ive had my share of rough for this decade! Very Happy
Post #172782 2nd Oct 2012 8:34pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
I just edited my post and added a bit about another site. Problem was with just one or two groups who were not of the same 'mind set' as us, otherwise as I say, all 3 were there or thereabouts with the reviews.

Having said that, I would never completely trust any review - the proof of the pudding and all that. I think the ukcampite is a good starting point as you get to trawl through lots of places. We hate big sites - anything over about 50 pitches is OUT for us, hate hardstandings, etc. So from that point of view I'll sift out any that look like not being our thing. After that it is really pot luck whether you go on a good day or a bad day! Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #172786 2nd Oct 2012 8:40pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I've had quite good success using TimeOut Camping book "our favourite sites in Britain" - contains a range of big/small sites but focus is on camping in mountains, lakes, near beaches or forests
Post #172797 2nd Oct 2012 9:00pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
W'pig.... That's where the Disco3 forum guys meet..
Ever likely you feel posh, all your electrics work, your suspension isn't sagging and you don't drive an ugly p.o.s Laughing
Post #172820 2nd Oct 2012 9:57pm
WarPig

I didnt realise that Laughing
Post #172886 3rd Oct 2012 9:10am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
theres a foot path we use which goes around the edge of Callow Top, it nearly always has an 85% scutter to 15% decent people ratio,and seems to be getting worse.

ps. the big pink thing was going for milking ! 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #172914 3rd Oct 2012 11:30am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
At the moment I'll only ever go to Caravan Club or CC affiliated sites and Certified Locations. I often find that the cheaper the nightly rate the more scumbags who just want to drink and shout all night ! Its worth paying (usually not a lot ) more to avoid the riff-raff. I sound prudish but I like a nights sleep
Post #173459 5th Oct 2012 9:06pm
WarPig

I agree rossy. We normally stick to CC sites but this site suited our particular trip. Until we got there that is Shocked
Post #173495 6th Oct 2012 1:00am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Same here. CC mostly at the moment (reliable when you've got little 'uns).

That said, stayed in the CC outside Exeter in July - Rubbish. It's basically a bit of waste ground next to the race course. Toilet block (singular) is OK but nothing special. The wind, however, whips right through the exposed site and there's nothing to break it up.

Fortunately we were only there for a quick overnight stop on the way down to an amazing site in Cornwall otherwise I'd have been very disappointed. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #174596 10th Oct 2012 2:47pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Wow...Callow Top Camp Site...How that must have changed!

We had my Brother's first (on 2nd marriage now) stag weekend based there. Decent pub on site, reasonable cycling thereabouts, it was great Thumbs Up Very Happy But...wait...that was about 20 years ago Rolling Eyes Wink

Must have taken a turn for the worst... Sad Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #174599 10th Oct 2012 2:57pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
MartinK wrote:

Must have taken a turn for the worst... Sad

Yes, thats what I heard, they reckon it started about 20 years ago after a stag weekend........ Whistle Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #174658 10th Oct 2012 7:27pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Rolling with laughter Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #174672 10th Oct 2012 8:09pm
WarPig

I blame the tenters. There must be 4 huge tenting fields as well as the caravan fields and I'd hate to be there when at full capacity (unless they alternate fields to let the grass regrow?). The pub is probably to blame as well. Its appears to be exclusive to the site and attracts the wrong type of people. But then again, thats probably why they go there?

Once you've left the site everything is great. Great cycling/walking, lovely villages etc. Its just a shame you have to return to the site at the end of the day!!

Funnily, when booking in at arrival the staff give you a voting form to help get them into the top 100 list of campsites Rolling with laughter
Post #174684 10th Oct 2012 8:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>