↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > auto td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ibexman

United Kingdom 
auto td5
Has anyone on here got td5 defender with compushift??? Im thinking of conversion driven normal hydraulic one was not impressed at all cheers Chris
Post #156744 19th Jul 2012 3:35pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Have a word with Dan on Devon 4x4

Yella 90 or something like that is his 'handle'!
Post #156747 19th Jul 2012 3:39pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Jeremy on here has a td5 auto g4 bad boy!
Post #156766 19th Jul 2012 4:59pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Yup, love it!
Post #156767 19th Jul 2012 5:02pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
PM received and replied
Post #156770 19th Jul 2012 5:17pm
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
Chris , read last months LRM and the Manx article... Wink Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #156793 19th Jul 2012 7:20pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Which copy is that ADE
Post #156797 19th Jul 2012 7:31pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
I fitted one to Pam's 90 and had some involvement in the development of the Compushift system for the ZF.

Personally I think the Compushift option is a good one, not because of the Compushift itself, which does the job but has some limitations, but simply because you can tune the electronic ZF boxes to match the power output of the engine and your driving style. I have driven a conversion that wasn't very well dialled in and had the wrong torque convertor and that didn't drive very well at all so it really is down to setting it up properly. The downside of a hydraulic system is that you're pretty much stuck with the shift pattern you've got - at least with an electronic one you can change it quite dramatically.

It's taken some time to fine tune since fitting it at the beginning of the year but it's almost there now with the shift points pretty much dialled in in all throttle and speed positions. I have a "map" written out now which works a lot better than the default map and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm due to help fit another one soon and will be able to enter my map straight in as a starting point. I can always keep tweaking it though Smile

I've toyed with the idea of building a Megashift to control the ZF but not done yet as it's Pam's daily drive. It should be possible though and would reduce the cost of a conversion quite dramatically...
Post #156806 19th Jul 2012 8:14pm
adafish

ibexman wrote:
Which copy is that ADE
, the one with the black G4 90 we had down unit.....with a bit of magic it flies along... Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #156816 19th Jul 2012 9:06pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
You mean VADER isle of man jobby Thumbs Up
Post #156821 19th Jul 2012 9:18pm
adafish

yep, thats our boy.... Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #156828 19th Jul 2012 9:37pm
T1G UP

davew wrote:
I fitted one to Pam's 90 and had some involvement in the development of the Compushift system for the ZF.

Personally I think the Compushift option is a good one, not because of the Compushift itself, which does the job but has some limitations, but simply because you can tune the electronic ZF boxes to match the power output of the engine and your driving style. I have driven a conversion that wasn't very well dialled in and had the wrong torque convertor and that didn't drive very well at all so it really is down to setting it up properly. The downside of a hydraulic system is that you're pretty much stuck with the shift pattern you've got - at least with an electronic one you can change it quite dramatically.

It's taken some time to fine tune since fitting it at the beginning of the year but it's almost there now with the shift points pretty much dialled in in all throttle and speed positions. I have a "map" written out now which works a lot better than the default map and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm due to help fit another one soon and will be able to enter my map straight in as a starting point. I can always keep tweaking it though Smile

I've toyed with the idea of building a Megashift to control the ZF but not done yet as it's Pam's daily drive. It should be possible though and would reduce the cost of a conversion quite dramatically...

Mega shift a 6 speed tdv6 box Dave?
Post #156834 19th Jul 2012 9:52pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
T1G UP wrote:

It should be possible if the tech details are available somewhere, MegaShift software can control up to 8 forward speeds so it's technically capable of doing it. The HP24 technical details are available as I have the technical manual for it but no idea if the 6HP28 details are available. It takes a lot of technical detail to do the job properly although some/all of that could potentially be reverse engineered from a working box in a vehicle.

If someone wants to supply me with a box and test vehicle I'm up for a challenge Smile
Post #156854 19th Jul 2012 10:24pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Yes, our TD5 TR 110 had compushift. Worked well but I don't think it was set up to it's best. We sold it before I could find time to look at it. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #156917 20th Jul 2012 10:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

davew wrote:
T1G UP wrote:

It should be possible if the tech details are available somewhere, MegaShift software can control up to 8 forward speeds so it's technically capable of doing it. The HP24 technical details are available as I have the technical manual for it but no idea if the 6HP28 details are available. It takes a lot of technical detail to do the job properly although some/all of that could potentially be reverse engineered from a working box in a vehicle.

If someone wants to supply me with a box and test vehicle I'm up for a challenge Smile

well all these high HP motors going in defenders and were still on manual boxes Big Cry as the ranger auto will fit on the 2.4 motor then that would be my goal. only a 6 speeder but better than a 4.

i see on the MSQ forum some of the guys are playing 7 speed lexus box
Post #156918 20th Jul 2012 10:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>