↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > chips.....and I'm not talking fish
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
chips.....and I'm not talking fish
I've wondered this for ages and I'm sure there's plenty of others out there that have too.

so we all know that the likes of BAS and Alive have plenty of very happy customers (there might be others too but these chaps seem to get the most publicity and I'm sure for very goo reason - I don't doubt that for one minute.

however I'm also quite sure that the likes of LRJ have at least one or two employees that a quite capable too........so why don't their cars come with equally good maps.

is it a conspiracy so as not to put the likes of BAS / Alive out of business......(does Pete / Gary have to pay a retainer to ensure they don't make a good job of the maps) ?

I'm sure they have good reason to keep the power down however when I hear reports stating how much smoother the car runs and even better economy then I just can't work it out ? Confused
Post #153420 3rd Jul 2012 3:13pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
fitting it in the market place, reliability, long term effects, performance at extremes of environment and maintenance, fuel quality i expect all play an important part. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #153435 3rd Jul 2012 4:14pm
Yorkshire90

United Kingdom 
Re: chips.....and I'm not talking fish
When you say LRJ I take it you mean Land Rover Jaguar?

If so, Land Rover vehicles from standard don't come with the more powerful fuelling maps like you can buy from people like BAS etc as they have to take into consideration the future life/conditions the unit will be exposed to.

Poor servicing, low grade fuel etc.

I'm certain Land Rover could produce vehicles like this straight out of the box, however they probably wouldn't last as long with people who don't treat their vehicles appropriately, hence resulting in poor reliability tales.

Also, people like Pete Bell tend to dominate quite a large part of the market because they are the best in the field and what they do.

Best remapping equipment (software/hardware) knowledge and tolerances of the vehicles in question etc.

In fact, quite a few tuners act as an intermediary for the remaps coming from Pete at BAS. Myself being one of them on numerous occasions.

The "Smoother" thing only comes down to the power. I don't think remaps make our cars smoother... they're smooth from standard... If anything I believe it can make them "sharper" and more responsive. Maybe that's where the "smooth" part comes in... "Big green" 2000 Td5 90 IRB Developments modified (2004-2011)

Discovery 3 TDv6 GS Auto 2011-2012 *Missed the Defender too much*

IRB Developments rebuild: Project Ice cube 2012-......

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic11056.html
Post #153436 3rd Jul 2012 4:23pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Don't forget there are stringent emissions regulations too.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #153437 3rd Jul 2012 4:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I'm sure others will chime in soon but

- development cost: overhead of LRJ is bit more bigger so where to invest it in, a low margin low volume end of life model or a spanking new high margin high volume model
- universal vs customer specific, tune needs to fit all, everywhere
- reliability also legally, look at ncap ratings for the normal product now add 50hp and ask yourself how good that would look after x-crashes as manufacturer.
- upgrading power = upgrading drivetrain = upgrading safety systems = mercedes G = 3x the price = maybe 1/3rd of the customers = economic failure.

but for sure also
- market positioning of the product, its not that hard to outrun a standard RRSport if you really want. but doing this as a constructor in your own line-up is a bit daft isn't it?
- economics, with the budgets they have, and the way they put it in the showroom i really have the impression they throw in what fits the budget for that bunch of lunatics which still wants to drive it after all those years without real evolution in its design.

an last but not least

- legal issues esp the utterly stupid so called euro eco-laws to comply with, based on lobbying of groups with economical interest rather than a healthy portion of reason. Lost the US market on same fake safety and emission BS 25 years ago, now its europe's time.

pfew, feeling better already, thanks for the opportunity to rant a bit

Very Happy

edit: seems i'm not the only one... Rolling with laughter beaten to it
Post #153438 3rd Jul 2012 4:31pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
As said, LR need to supply a standard tune that will meet regulations, fuel quality, etc in all markets. As with suspension it is the best 'all round' compromise out of the box.

Tuning (when done properly) is a specific, tailored set up dependant on what the customer wants the vehicle to be good for. This is the key reason why the cowboy tuners and plug in boxes can cause problems.

There is also the risk that a tuned engine will not last well if it is thashed by an owner with no mechanical sympathy. Talking to Phil (IIRC) on the BAS stand the other weekend he said they had declined to remap some vehicles that weekend as they felt the owners requests would lead to engine damage. That IMHO is the sign of a good tuner. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #153441 3rd Jul 2012 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i believe its JLR too. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #153465 3rd Jul 2012 7:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1