Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Loadspace Bulkhead Removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Evil Elsie

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Alpine White
Loadspace Bulkhead Removal
Hello 😁,
What's the deal with these Bulkhead removal bars..?? Are they necessary..??
They're going to contribute very little to the structural integrity.

The genuine LR one is small bore steel tube with multiple bends - it's not going to do anything structurally. An aftermarket one that I've looked at was even worse, a 'C- section' profile - also with bends. Sharp edge protection at best...

My 110 van has the bulkhead behind the front seats but a Station Wagon doesn't have a bulkhead at all - or does it have something different..??

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated..

Cheers, Dave 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1017888 9th Dec 2023 4:01pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
The genuine bulkhead removal bar is kind of triangulating the area, with the lower truss being part of the tub. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1017905 9th Dec 2023 6:12pm
Evil Elsie

Thanks Dinnu..πŸ‘πŸ‘
Realistically though, how structural is it..?? Is it needed considering that a Station Wagon doesn't have one..??
I'm considering cutting my Bulkhead down - just a few inches.
I take your point about the gen. LR one and how it affixes to the tub floor but nearly all of the aftermarket ones are more of an edging strip - there for sharp edge protection.

Cheers, Dave. 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1017918 9th Dec 2023 7:39pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
I wondered the same thing. Is it perhaps for rigidity when carrying a load as a "van" would be? (whereas the SW wouldn't be carrying anything other than people) or also a strengthening point so that your load doesn't come flying through the cab should it shift? The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1017925 9th Dec 2023 7:58pm
Dinnu

Evil Elsie wrote:

Realistically though, how structural is it..?? Is it needed considering that a Station Wagon doesn't have one..??

Assuming that you are referring to the B post or C post of a 110 SW, I believe that the B post is steel, and there is quite some steel in the C post of a 110 SW. But not too familiar with 110s.

Frankly speaking, I think there is not much 'structurally' anywhere in a classic Defender body. I have cut the bulkhead off a 90HT, though cannot remember if the sides became flimsy or not after cutting, however I still installed an aftermarket removal bar that was a good copy of the genuine one. Just think what will happen after a 1000 door shuts.

I do not think Land Rover would do anything for the sake of doing something! 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1017926 9th Dec 2023 8:10pm
Evil Elsie

Ianb - the only thing that I can think it's for is, as you suggest, to stop a load carried in the back contacting the back of the seats.

Dinnu - please don't think I'm arguing with you (I've read enough of your posts to know that you've forgotten more about Defenders than I'll ever know) but I'm trying to understand.

My logic goes as follows (and probably where I'm going wrong - this is a Land Rover - there is very little logic);
A convertible car with a monocoque chassis requires extra bracing in the chassis as a part of the structure has been removed (the roof).
A 110 Station Wagon has a big hole in each side, top to bottom, where the rear passenger doors go. This must surely reduce the structural integrity and make it weaker.
To mitigate the fact that there's two big holes 'they' fit a chunky frame for the doors.
One cancels the other out.
We're then left with the fact that there's no Bulkhead.

Is the purpose of the bulkhead purely to stop a load hitting the back of the front seats..??

As you point out Dinnu - there's very little structural strength in the body. Thin Ali panels with hardly any creases, folds or radii.

Has anyone ever just cut it out completely or even just lowered it..?? Any negative effects..?? Did the front doors still close ok..??

Cheers all.. πŸ‘πŸ‘ 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1017977 10th Dec 2023 12:27pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Is there any reason you wouldn't want to fit the curved shaped edge (from MUD or others)?

I find its a shame they're such a pricey "thing", but I'd probably still do it anyway, if only for just a tidy finish. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Post #1017978 10th Dec 2023 1:07pm
Evil Elsie

No, no reason at all - other than price...

There's lots of really cheap options for edging strips to provide a clean, safe edge. Some of these 'replacements' are nothing more than this - but for Β£100+. Seriously, look at some of them (not going to name names...) - there's no strength in them - they're just glorified edging strips.

I could default to the 'just buy one and fit it then I'll know it's right' but would it be wrong in the first place..?? If the bulkhead isn't needed then neither is 'replacement'.

With the amount of Defenders out there and the amount of 'modifications' (that's being too kind to some of them) carried out, has anybody bought one that had the bulkhead cut out with no replacement fitted..?? Anybody been Censored about and the replacement just fell off/ came away in their hand and they thought 'well, that was doing nothing' etc, etc.

Cheers, πŸ‘πŸ‘ 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1017984 10th Dec 2023 2:52pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
The bulkhead is also there because otherwise if you have a truck cab roof there would be a big hole behind your seats and nowhere for the cab to mount.

Other than the later station wagon models where they did away with it, all 90s use the same tub so the bulkhead forms part of the back of the cab on some models.
Post #1017985 10th Dec 2023 3:01pm
Dinnu

Agree that the kits sold as bulkhead lowering or bulkhead reduction bars are overpriced for what they seem, although never seen one in real life. These bars leave a bit of the bulkhead all the way to the cappings, so the integrity of the tub is still maintained.

I am not sure if a HT tub can be compared with a DC or SW tub around the door slam area. As said, the 110 tub has steel reinforcement and is joint to a bit of a short bulkhead since the 110 DC/SW tub goes to the foot well level rather than the seatbox level. That said, I am not very familiar with 110 DC/SWs.

In ships and boats, bulkheads are designed to give structural integrity to the hull. But difficult to know if the same principle was applied to the Series 1 tub, or if it was just to separate the load area from the driver and passenger area. From a design point, it would look weak with the bulkhead removed. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1017990 10th Dec 2023 5:32pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Quote:
In ships and boats, bulkheads are designed to give structural integrity to the hull

Crikey, I dead to think of the outcome if LR had anything to do with ship design....copious tubes of tigerseal needed!
Post #1017997 10th Dec 2023 7:12pm
Dinnu

Rolling with laughter [/quote] 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1018000 10th Dec 2023 7:35pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
@Evil Elsie
Totally agree with you there. I would like to remove the bulkhead for a bit more leg space and the bulkhead removal strips are probably the only thing price wise that restricts my efforts.

I actually saw a video in the past (Defender build), clocked it but then moved on without thinking.
Look at the video from the very start and look behind the guy, that defender just has a square cut out the bulkhead, I assume for the seat to move... Better view at 1:34
&ab_channel=TrueBlueTravellers

Perhaps that is the answer - Perhaps you already assumed the answer correctly. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Post #1018008 10th Dec 2023 9:25pm
Evil Elsie

Retroanaconda - an excellent point. I hadn't thought about the fact that it be needed as a 'closing piece' if a truck cab was fitted..πŸ‘πŸ‘

Dinnu - I absolutely agree with you that it would look weak if the whole bulkhead were to be removed. I'm thinking of only cutting 3" or 4" from the top. That would unfortunately remove the capping ( which is probably the only strength there) but would be no different to using one of those useless looking Bulkhead reduction bars.

Dinnu and Diesel Jim - I actually work in Shipbuilding and am directly involved with Structural testing and integrity of Bulkheads - although on a much, MUCH larger scale than LR bulkheads. The thought of Land Rover making any kind of Submarine or Surface vessel made me laugh. You would need to smear the whole vessel in Tigerseal (not a bad idea - it would help with Sonar). Its a constant battle (that I'm losing) just to keep the rain out of my 110...

Ian - I really can't decide if I like that solution of not. I'm leaning more towards the 'not'....
He's got a 'trike' solution (trikes have all of the disadvantages of a motorbike (exposed to the elements, difficult to see, vulnerable when not seen) and the disadvantages of a car (can't filter, don't lean over when cornering, just not as fast/fun). He's cut a big lump out of his bulkhead which has removed any strength it may once have had (capping) but left most of the bulkhead in place (I'm only jealous 'cos he's got a much nicer 110 than me - and more money πŸ˜„πŸ˜­πŸ˜„).

When the weather warms up and I've stopped the rain coming in i think I will cut a few inches from the top of the bulkhead. If the Landy starts doing strange things (stranger than normal) i can always fab up some steel tube with a bend at each end.

I'll report back 'if and when' next year....

Cheers all πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘,
Dave.

oh, and enjoy the Winter Solstice.... 😁🍺😁 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1018037 11th Dec 2023 10:39am
Ianb

United Kingdom 
I'd agree it's not the best appearing effort, just another example of someone toying with the bulkhead in a way that is not traditional - the usual "bulkhead removal bars". The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Post #1018040 11th Dec 2023 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>