↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 13 pin towing electrics installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
13 pin towing electrics installation
I've spent all day fitting a 13 pin electrics kit to my 110 and can confirm that it's a right pig of a job Rolling Eyes The kit was part no. YWJ500050, which came from Dan at Duckworth Parts for a very good price.

I'm a big fan of Land Rover wiring kits as they're very well made and come with every last nut, bolt and cable tie that's required, which wasn't the problem:

Click image to enlarge

The first obstacle was threading the new loom through the hole in the rear crossmember. This was a complete non-event as it worked very easily:

Click image to enlarge

Next was mounting the socket. I should really have done this first as it was slightly awkward with the wiring loom in place. Still, a quick cardboard template later and three holes were drilled and rivnuts fitted. With the original 12N socket removed, the rear looks much tidier:

Click image to enlarge

Connecting up the regular lighting part of the loom was straightforward. The plastic shield was removed from up under the off-side wheel arch and the loom just plugged in (large grey plug at top):

Click image to enlarge

After that followed much crawling around underneath to thread the loom from the rear to up under the seat box. Grubby, but relatively straightforward, and then the fun began. The new loom includes a connection to the reversing light circuit that comprises a pair of male and female two pin plugs. The idea is that an existing loom joint made of matching plugs is split and the new plugs connected to each end. However, the existing plugs are located in the narrow gap between the side of the gearbox and the nearside chassis rail. The gap is just about big enough to get a hand in but not be able to see what you're doing at the same time, and the plugs are also obscured by a large flexible conduit. Oh, and the whole thing is concealed by a plastic undertray.

I removed the undertray (and I've left it off as it turns out it was damaged) and also released the end of another similar undertray further forward to give a bit more elbow room. I then proceeded to spend an hour swearing and cursing with grit in my eyes and mouth whilst I teased the existing plugs apart and the new plugs into place. I was almost at the point of removing the gearbox tunnel when the last one finally snapped into place. No pictures of this bit, unfortunately, as I was filthy and frustrated.

With that bit out of the way, I could complete the last part of the installation in the battery box. With the battery removed, a small bracket was fixed in place and the relay and fuse holders installed. The final task was then to re-install the battery and connect the new loom to the + and - terminals:

Click image to enlarge

Much to my relief, it all worked first time:

In conjunction with a two pin slider for an Alko towball, I'm now ready to use the 110 to tow our caravan on holiday Cool Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #152917 30th Jun 2012 7:17pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Rather you than me Rolling with laughter
Nice job Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #152970 30th Jun 2012 11:45pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Smile Lots of aches this morning from all of the crawling around though, including my fingers Big Cry Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #152990 1st Jul 2012 8:09am
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I dont know why land rover have the reversing light wired in at the gearbox, there is a feed for the reversing light in the gray plug in the rear wheel arch, i converted my standard 7n plug wiring to a 13 pin socket and gained a 12v feed and reversing lights all from that one plug at the back.
Post #153025 1st Jul 2012 11:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

That is odd. The 12N socket that I removed also had several wires that weren't connected. Darren

Post #153055 1st Jul 2012 3:51pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
That is odd. The 12N socket that I removed also had several wires that weren't connected.

Yes there is 9 wires in the gray plug but only 7 in the trailer plug, the other 2 are just in the loom.

Ive got all the wiring colours if anybody needs them, mines a 03 TD5 but dont think its changed on the puma.

Pete.
Post #153253 2nd Jul 2012 3:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
So, to bring this thread alive from caravanning link.....

Has anyone replaced BOTH trailer & auxiliary sockets for a 13 pin socket?
If so, anyone know what a job it is?
Post #160192 5th Aug 2012 7:59pm
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
I looked on a Puma MY2012 2.2 and Reverse & permanent live are present on the OE plug but not used on 7 pin. On the genuine Puma 13 pin electrics they are populated so plug straight in with just ignition live to "install" this could be done with a small VSR to prevent running cable to the front

Here is a suitable small VSR

http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/index.php?ma...cts_id=536
Post #160252 6th Aug 2012 8:20am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I just thought it's probably not worth doing as I have jet ski trailer and bike rack that I use, plus I tow a friends RIB too Confused
Post #160255 6th Aug 2012 8:28am
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
In your case all 13 pin will do for you is give you a more secure plug & socket system and improved weather resistance. You could also fit reverse lights to the RIB trailer Thumbs Up
Post #160256 6th Aug 2012 8:30am
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
II think its a pretty easy job using the standard plug on my 2011 puma.

I had a guy round to remove 7 pin and replace with 13 pin. Took him about an hour and looked like it was plug and play. A small 'something' (relay I think) was installed at the rear, but all wiring was available at the rear.

Cost £109 inc materials and vat (and new alko compatible ball)

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #160257 6th Aug 2012 8:31am
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
d j hutton wrote:
II think its a pretty easy job using the standard plug on my 2011 puma.

I had a guy round to remove 7 pin and replace with 13 pin. Took him about an hour and looked like it was plug and play. A small 'something' (relay I think) was installed at the rear, but all wiring was available at the rear.

Cost £109 inc materials and vat (and new alko compatible ball)

DJ

He installed a VSR as mentioned above and an aftermarket electrics kit, it is a bit more expensive but the OE sockets from landrover are fully sealed which is nice Thumbs Up
Post #160259 6th Aug 2012 8:33am
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
So the proper OE part removes the need to fart around down near the gearbox end and just plugs into the plug in the rear wheel arch?
Ta
C 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #160292 6th Aug 2012 12:29pm
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
mrandmrsh wrote:
So the proper OE part removes the need to fart around down near the gearbox end and just plugs into the plug in the rear wheel arch?
Ta
C

If you do not want to run to the front then check on your loom plug to see if the purple is present and if so you could wire this into a VSR to provide both your permanent and switched feed but you would have to consider you are then effectively doubling the load so no chest freezers plugged in etc Whistle
Post #160295 6th Aug 2012 12:46pm
pouf

Greece 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Re: 13 pin towing electrics installation
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

Click image to enlarge

let me ask you something D,
this yellow relay ''arms'' when you turn the key on or you have a switch?
is 2 fuses or 1, can't see well.
Tdci has 1 fuse and the same relay. it arms when i turn the key and i don't this that this is right Confused that's why i am asking for Confused www.newfoundland.gr
Post #164702 27th Aug 2012 1:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>