↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Stereo upgrade suggestions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Captain Speaking

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Stereo upgrade suggestions
The Old Dragon seems to have the standard LR radio and single CD and I'd like to slot-in something with MP3 connection and better sound.

The Defender Accessories brochure doesn't seem to show any other options, nor do Duckworth Parts on their excellent site.

I'd like to keep a LR-branded unit if possible. Any suggestions chaps?
Post #149267 8th Jun 2012 10:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
LR branded you won't beat what you've already got there is no upgrade as such only aftermarket. Aftermarket premium brands in my opinion are just as good and better than the LR one. With the removed radio you could either keep it or sell it I got 80 for mine on E-bay. As regarding which unit it depends on what you want to get I would imagine for a few modern things i.e. ipod and bluetooth you could probably get for around 100 good quality. Personally I would go for Kenwood but I am biased of course as that is what I have all be it my system would be overkill for what you want (well over 450+) with dvd ect. You could also fit some premium aftermarket speakers this also would improve sound again personally I have 4 x 10cm Kenwoods around 140w peak each. If you would like any help with anything or details feel free to contact me by PM with any questions ect you may have. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #149270 8th Jun 2012 10:32pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi "Captain Speaking". You do realise that tha LR branded radio/cd player as fitted in the XS models can use an mp3 data cdr produced on a computer. Do you have that capability? LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #149273 8th Jun 2012 11:14pm
Captain Speaking

Technology hitherto only dreamt of in a Defender! Rolling with laughter

I had no idea this was feasible, but anyway mine is only County spec Big Cry
Post #149278 8th Jun 2012 11:48pm
Marius

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Much has been said on this.

- I upgraded the speakers to 4'' alpine. Same size better quality. Didnt wana cut anything to fit larger ones.
- Alpine head unit with IPOD connector at back, MP3 CD, Front USB and Front Aux input
- Alpine active sub. Mounted behind the centre cubby facing backwards

I can honestly say I have NEVER looked back. Drowns out all the rattles nicely Smile
Post #149306 9th Jun 2012 8:26am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Captain ... do a search there's loads of threads on this ...
Post #149309 9th Jun 2012 8:35am
IanW

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Car stereo
Installed a Pioneer head unit in the Puma a couple of days ago. On offer from Halfords at 89-90. Single cd player, mp3 and USB on the front, and bluetooth with microphone. Phone good and clear and iPod perfect. Sound quality better than the LR offering, and it fits on the loom without an adapter. Ian One wife - livid
Post #149317 9th Jun 2012 9:17am
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
Decent sound insulation will "improve" the performance of any system and increase driver comfort.

We tend to use Dynamat but agian there are cheaper alternatives.

Once "Dynamatted" you will notice a decrease in road noise more constant cabin temperatures and less road noise along with a nice thud more like a german car when you close the door.

Down side is to do the job properly so roof, floor, bonnet and doors takes 4 - 5 days as all the interior needs to come out. But this is why it is more effective than DIY noise mat kits.
Post #149321 9th Jun 2012 9:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Basically what you need is the 'XS' version of the Landrover head unit - it looks exactly the same as yours but has an aux input socket on the front to plug an iPod or any other device in to. It will also play MP3 format CDs. Look on ebay etc as lots come up when people upgrade - usually about the 50 mark. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #149332 9th Jun 2012 10:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
JSG wrote:
Basically what you need is the 'XS' version of the Landrover head unit - it looks exactly the same as yours but has an aux input socket on the front to plug an iPod or any other device in to. It will also play MP3 format CDs. Look on ebay etc as lots come up when people upgrade - usually about the 50 mark.

Only trouble is with that is although you are right in what your saying of course but there is no HU iPod control so when changing song ect it has to be done by iPod so really it's a case of selecting what you want before setting off and keeping it that way. Not exactly safe to change on route so to speak. Then again if some one wants to keep OE equipment / the look then it's a good alternative. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #149342 9th Jun 2012 11:14am
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
My 90HT came with a nice plastic blanking plate in the dash. I too went to Halfords and bought a Pioneer radio/CD/ipod-usb DEH 3300. They have them, or something similar, on offer at the mo. Dead easy to fit, all the connectors/wiring were already in the dash and to the speaker positions.
I bought a 150mm ipod/usb connector lead from ebay to plug the ipod into it with.
There's a photo in my gallery somewhere.

It has bluetooth also. Smile
Post #149357 9th Jun 2012 12:42pm
Captain Speaking

You guys are the best - thank you.

The Pioneer from Halfords sounds like a good starting point and I can always go up from there.

It's tempting to fit something non-LR and better spec but I wonder how attractive they are to n'er-do-wells these days? Blimey, it's like being back in the 80s, worrying about having your stereo nicked! Laughing
Post #149365 9th Jun 2012 1:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Captain Speaking wrote:
You guys are the best - thank you.

The Pioneer from Halfords sounds like a good starting point and I can always go up from there.

It's tempting to fit something non-LR and better spec but I wonder how attractive they are to n'er-do-wells these days? Blimey, it's like being back in the 80s, worrying about having your stereo nicked! Laughing

You could declare it to your insurance and have it covered Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #149371 9th Jun 2012 1:51pm
Paul Rover

United Kingdom 
I'm looking to install a DAB radio in my Puma Station Wagon. Has anyone done this and can recommend a good unit?
Post #149390 9th Jun 2012 5:29pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
I've got this Sony effort in my TR, bought from Halfrauds for the grand total of 100 Very Happy

Sounds fantastic and in a stroke of total brilliance there's no CD player. It has a slide out tray for your ipod instead - so the ipod gets sucked into the head unit out of the way Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Even with the standard speakers it seems alot clearer Thumbs Up
Post #149407 9th Jun 2012 8:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>