↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Tent Recomendations?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Have you looked at the tentipis ?
Very fast to put up - faster than an oztent if you put up guys.
Breathable cotton fabric - cooler in the sun, water proof in the rain.
Storm proof - wind just blows around them.
Tall for head room.
Have a fire inside if its cold (took mine to Norway and it was minus 25)
Packs in to a duffel sized bag

Photo taken in the Alps
Post #140717 21st Apr 2012 4:59pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Tentipi gets my vote Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #140718 21st Apr 2012 5:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRSoffroad

England 
yep i like Tentipi but also like Oztent Confused have the chance to use both back to back from Ian at Mudrut

both have there plus and minuses
Post #140947 22nd Apr 2012 7:56pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
There's a vast differene between a decathlon/khyam etc and Hilleberg. If it's for summer camping in light conditions then sure, anything will do. I it's for two people, any weather, strong wind, torrential rain, snow, whatever - then you need something like

Hilleberg
MSR
Helsport
Terra Nova

Plus a few others. Car camping the weight is unimportant, and tentipi is ok but a Helsport Varanger is better and more robust. Also the hat system on the helsport is better than the tentipi so when you have a stove in there you don't get wet in torrential rain. Tamarak Outdoor sell them and have one up in the shop to look at.

If it's as the question "two people, some gear" then I would say MSR Mutha Hubba. Get the footprint too. Also Hilleberg Nallo 3GT is an awesome tent (£££)

No need for a giant tent (why are these all the rage these days? Huge bloody thing taking up 4 site pitches) and a lot of the tents mentioned here are frankly crap in any serious weather. Martin mentions force ten - one of the originals and still one of the best
Post #140953 22nd Apr 2012 8:07pm
RLD

United Kingdom 

Helsport Whistle RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #140974 22nd Apr 2012 9:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I just got some Fabsil gold today and treated my G4 Igloo of a new waterProof coat... Ready for next weekends downpours !
Post #140976 22nd Apr 2012 9:10pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Like many items there is a wide range of tents with a wide range of specifications and prices. Festival tents will start at about £20 and are basically disposables after one fine weekend camping, up to £4,000 (correct £4,000) for a Terra Nova Heavy Duty Cosmos tent which sleeps 8 people.

Basically people have to decide what they want from a tent. Lightweight for back packing or vehicle based so weight and size not a major issue?

Weather conditions in anticipated use? Extreme weather at 20,000' in winter conditions or just summer use on organised campsite in Europe?

Is standing room important or are people still agile enough to crawl into a pup type tent?

How much sleeping room/living space is required?

Do people need a stand alone tent or a tent system where various accessories can be zipped on?

Budget considerations? Can you only afford a budget tent or is £4,000 for top end Terra Nova just petty cash or something in between.

One thing which is certain there is no one right tent for everybody and for every condition. We have a range of tents and will take along the tent we deemed to be most appropriate for the expected conditions.

Brendan
Post #140980 22nd Apr 2012 9:14pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Spent many a night inside one of these, they even have space to park your landie under Very Happy
Post #141023 22nd Apr 2012 11:37pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Reasonably priced Cool tents on here. Tipi tent for £550 + extension and equivalent Oz Tent of their own make for £550, + shelter tents, awnings etc Thumbs Up

http://www.greenoutdoor.co.uk/products

How many tents can you hide in the loft Whistle Laughing
Post #141103 23rd Apr 2012 2:17pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
A couple of interesting 2nd hand...
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vango-fo.../100516873
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/tentipi-...e/98751548 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #141164 23rd Apr 2012 5:55pm
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
MartinK wrote:
I'm a big fan of the original Force 10.

Click image to enlarge

So much so that I have two! They just last forever. Spares are everywhere. They make a great second-hand buy because they last so well. I've even used mine at 4000m in the Alps!

With my old Discovery at Ullapool:

In Wales:

A couple of years ago we were camped in a storm in North Wales, under Tryfan, only a handful of tents survived, and 3 of them were Force 10's!

Compared to a nylon tent, they're so breathable that they never get condensation.

The disign is simple, and as such they're really quick to erect. If it's raining you can also take the inner down first whilst the outer still keeps you dry Thumbs Up

Incidentally, Vango is an anagram of Govan where they were originally made in Scotland Thumbs Up Like our Land Rovers, an old design that still works well today. Bombproof & versatile Thumbs Up

My Oz tent has survived a few rough nights at that exact campsite, even when my Wild County 4 season failed. We ended up with a few refugee's from some decent dome tents which had fallen over.

Great location for a trip up Tryfan! 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #141185 23rd Apr 2012 7:00pm
Mark_110DCPU

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
We have camped at that site too - in a cabanon pyramide tent. Great tent an similar in concept to the ten tips etc. just takes hours to peg out! [:O|===|O:] 2001 110 TD5 Doublecab
Post #141197 23rd Apr 2012 7:25pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Higgers wrote:
Tentipi gets my vote Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

How does the tent fit around the chimney, is it heat/fire proof or is there a gap. If a gap, wouldn't rain run down the inside or maybe that's not a problem.

How does the tent cope with cinders or is the stove designed not to produce any?

I suppose the stove could only be used when your well away from other campers!? Or do they recommend a low smoking emission fuel?
Post #141308 24th Apr 2012 7:33am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Tipi Tent here for £550 http://www.greenoutdoor.co.uk/products/tip...[Technical Drawings]/1/

55% hemp and rest canvas, says no need to waterproof - a lot cheaper then other makes - what do you think?

Wonder about making one - I mean how hard can it be Shocked
Post #141310 24th Apr 2012 8:01am
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Zag,

Chimney goes up through a little hole that can be velcro'd shut when not in use. The main chimney itself has a heat exchanger, it gets warm but not enough to damage the tent, bear in mind that the stove can glow red hot at times.

Never had a problem with cinders shooting up the chimney, however the main stove has a clever door that allows air to be pulled through and circulate around the stove - not sure if this helps but its impossible for cinders to be spat out through the vent.

Smoke - yes, something that we fell foul of. I never though it'd be a problem, but we got complaints. We were burning compressed wood chip briquets which smoked like Censored but when we swapped to seasoned timer it wasn't too bad, that said we are looking at anthracite although that might burn too hot - i'm waiting for a reply from tentipi.

Cheers

Ian
Post #141448 24th Apr 2012 7:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>