↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Fuel pump leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Fuel pump leak
I had the day off Friday and I took the opportunity to put my 110 up on the ramps to give a few things a check over before it went into the dealers to have its last warranty service. While it was up there I spotted the fuel pump on the near side of the engine had fuel leaking from it. It looks like it maybe from where the sensor is. I phoned the dealers to say when I brought it in they would now have to look at it also. An hour later they were back on the phone saying that some parts that were on order for mine still had not come in (sidesteps as mine have rusted through) so they don’t want it for the mot and sevise until the end of the week. I said that was ok but they must tell me in an email that mine is safe to drive? They said “phone Land rover assist”, I did and the chap came out next day and told me to take it into the dealers Monday morning and he would get me a hired car.

So my question to you all is: has anyone had this diesel leak before? Has anyone heard of it?

Thanks

Boy
Post #136247 2nd Apr 2012 1:02pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
not had it on ours Justin. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #136272 2nd Apr 2012 2:22pm
Lorryman100

Do you know where the leak is specifically Boy? It is common for the fuel return pipes to become brittle and split as they are made from a plastic/rubber material, these are the return pipes for excess fuel to be returned to the tank from the fuel pump and injectors via the fuel cooler. Also the fuel inlet pipe is very close to the block and this too can suffer from heat damage so is worth checking. The two electrical connections in the pump are for the temp sensor (bottom connection) and the VCV (Volume Control Valve) mounted at the top. If the fuel temp sensor is where the leak is then you should get a new pump as these are not replaceable, only the VCV is replaceable.

The grey plug is the VCV and the fuel temp sensor is the green plug. The silver pipe and nut adjacent to the VCV on the left is the HP fuel supply to the common rail and the grey is the fuel return pipe, both worth a check.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This picture shows the fuel return pipes which are connected to the fuel pump, common rail and each injector. If you look at the bottom of the picture you will see the HP fuel pipe coming up from the pump and into the common rail. Beside it is the fuel return pipe and it is the grey coloured one. If you follow its path you will see where it splits up and tees of to each individual injector and the common rails pressure limiting valve, then back into the fuel cooler return pipe.

Click image to enlarge

HTH Brian.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #136273 2nd Apr 2012 2:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Boy

Brian

hard to tell with just a mirror and tourch but the dealers have jsut rung me and said its the gaskit. I assume this myust be a the gaskit between the pump and block. Waiting for parts.

Boy
Post #136276 2nd Apr 2012 2:43pm
Lorryman100

Thumbs Up Glad they have found the cause. It gets a bit worrying with issues like this, the closer it gets to the end of the warranty period. Evil or Very Mad
Post #136278 2nd Apr 2012 2:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Boy

My warranty runs out on April 9th and I am a little worried about the decission I have made not to go for the LR extended warranty.

Boy
Post #136284 2nd Apr 2012 3:28pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
[quote="The Boy"]My warranty runs out on April 9th and I am a little worried about the decission I have made not to go for the LR extended warranty.

you've got until the 9th to take out the extended warranty ya know. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #136285 2nd Apr 2012 3:33pm
The Boy

[quote="Grockle"]
The Boy wrote:
My warranty runs out on April 9th and I am a little worried about the decission I have made not to go for the LR extended warranty.

you've got until the 9th to take out the extended warranty ya know.

Have been thinking about it but right now I don't think I can afford it. I may of course live to regret that discission Laughing
Post #136291 2nd Apr 2012 4:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1