↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Interior light problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
simonpuma90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Interior light problem
I have a problem with my interior courtesy lights if I turn them on they work fine but they are not coming on when opening the doors I have checked and tested all door switches does anyone know if there is a relay somewhere for this function
Post #132987 20th Mar 2012 11:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
I assume that you've checked there's power to the door switches and also the light? I would imagine that if there is a relay that it'd be under the drivers seat.(can't guarantee it though) Also check that it isn't the switch it's self that's at fault. Is this on a Puma? Thumbs Up (edit) just noticed your name obviously for a Puma Thumbs Up

Last edited by custom90 on 20th Mar 2012 11:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #132992 20th Mar 2012 11:25pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I once found that the rear door switch on mine wasn't working and there was power there. Took it out pushed it a good few times and played around with it a bit and a small touch of oil and worked perfectly then. Must have jammed.
Post #132993 20th Mar 2012 11:27pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
I thought there is always power to the interior lights. The switches are in between the lights and the negative (earth) so may be there is a earthing problem... Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #132999 20th Mar 2012 11:39pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
VeeTee wrote:
I thought there is always power to the interior lights. The switches are in between the lights and the negative (earth) so may be there is a earthing problem...
I didn't know that Embarassed Regardless the circuit needs to be checked that it isn't broken. Fuse would also need to be checked. But I have no idea of location off the top of my head Neutral
Post #133001 20th Mar 2012 11:42pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I have found that the switches on all LR products get a bit of blue crud between the contacts of the door switches and with only one screw holding the switch in place it is an easy fix. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #133027 21st Mar 2012 1:32am
custom90

United Kingdom 
RED-DOT wrote:
I have found that the switches on all LR products get a bit of blue crud between the contacts of the door switches and with only one screw holding the switch in place it is an easy fix.

Got a feeling it's copper verdigris that get to the when there's wet weather.
Post #133072 21st Mar 2012 11:35am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
had to clean the contacts on ours with wire wool then coated the connectors in vasaline 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #133080 21st Mar 2012 12:11pm
simonpuma90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I have had all the door switches out cleened up and coated in vaseline also when out I did a test on them with a multimeter all perfect I have a constant power to all lights and they both work when switched to on but still nothing with the door pins the only other thing I have thought of is they run thro the alarm ecu maybe there could be a problem around that area
Post #133328 22nd Mar 2012 9:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
simonpuma90 wrote:
I have had all the door switches out cleened up and coated in vaseline also when out I did a test on them with a multimeter all perfect I have a constant power to all lights and they both work when switched to on but still nothing with the door pins the only other thing I have thought of is they run thro the alarm ecu maybe there could be a problem around that area

As has already been said, there's no live at the door switches. The door switches switch a Purple with Blue trace wire (Grey with White trace for driver's door) to earth.

This signals the Alarm ECU to turn on or off the interior lights. The Alarm ECU does this by providing an earth path for the interior lights, which have a permanent live to them.

You can test the functionality of the Alarm ECU by earthing the wires at the door switches, this should switch on the interior lights.

Download and have a look at the Circuit Diagrams (pages 54,55, 58, 59 & 60) that Danielle has made avaialble, here -

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic11725.html

. Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #133347 22nd Mar 2012 10:58am
CarlW

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Just a thought, the interior light switches off after a certain time to preserve the battery. If one of the door switches is permanantly shorting the Alarm ECU signal wire to earth (OR there is a short on this wire and it's permanantly grounded somewhere) then the alarm ECU will have switched the light off to preserve the battery and until the earth (or short) is removed from the signal wire that alarm ECU won't reset.

With all the dors closed my suggestion would be to check if the alarm signal wire is permanantly shorted to earth

Another test would be to try and disconnect the signal wire from the alarm ECU (I've no idea where that is!) and then reconnect it to see if the interior light comes on for a couple of minutes before the alarm ECU goes into battery saving mode again

Carl MY11 110 XS Station Wagon in Stornoway
Post #133535 22nd Mar 2012 9:51pm
cradgebank

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Forgive me for asking the obvious but you have got the switch on the light fitting in the "remote" position, the light fitting switch is 3 way, 1) ON, 2) OFF, 3) Remote.

By the fact the light is working locally, then you do not have a supply / fuse problem, the light only has 1 fuse that is located in the fuse box under the steering column.

For all three door switches not to be working sounds doubtful, but if you have not already, try removing a switch, disconnect the wire and short the wire to earth, ensuring the light fitting switch is in "Remote".

If that doesn't work I would remove the light fitting and test the fitting switch, if that is ok, it sounds like you have a broken wire somewhere between the fitting and the remote earthing points, i.e. Alarm and door switches. Richard

Either a 90, 110 or 130.
Discovery 5
Post #133630 23rd Mar 2012 12:59am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Have you replaced the bulb recently? Just thinking that when I replaced mine, the light would work ok if switched it one for the light switch, but not from the doors opening. Turns out a wire had popped off the back of the contacts when I removed the light to change the bulb. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #133664 23rd Mar 2012 9:17am
Yellodisco

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Hi, I had a similar problem when fitting interior LED - blew the fuse. Replaced the fuse in passenger compartment and light working again, both from doors opening or on manual switch. HOWEVER, the interior light now only works when the ignition is on, whereas I'm sure before it used to work as soon as you opened the door. Any ideas? Thanks, alan
Post #183020 7th Nov 2012 9:56pm
Yellodisco

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Hi, can anyone advise, is there some sort of secondary circuit that keeps some things powered up without key in ignition. Since I blew the fuse in the passenger compartment (and replaced it) the clock only works witht the ignition on and the radio loses its presets each time ignition is off, as well as problem mentioned earlier where interior light now only operates with Ignition on, not as soon as door opened. It's a 1999 TD5 90' thanks, alan
Post #184796 13th Nov 2012 9:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>