↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Replacement aerial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ben2012

Replacement aerial
The aerial on my 2000 td5 90 is broken and needs a new one, the question is.. Do you have to change the coax cable all the way back to the head unit or can it be cut and joined through? Also ive priced an oem one up from the dealer and its not a fortune so is it best to stick with that or change to a different type? Many thanks Ben
Post #132436 18th Mar 2012 11:44pm
cradgebank

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Yes, you have to change the coax all the way back to the Head unit, what I would recommend is buy a coax extension cable and route this from the Head unit to the engine bay, that way if you ever have to replace it, its only a few minutes job.

I would stick with the OEM aerial. Richard

Either a 90, 110 or 130.
Discovery 5
Post #132452 19th Mar 2012 1:12am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
If you have a CB, you could combine both. I have and the result is fantastic, much much better than the OEM. There is a link on this, a search may find it.

Merlin
Post #132576 19th Mar 2012 5:21pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Remove radio, cut old coax at base of wingtop aerial, tie a bit of string or fishing line to cut end, pull through to radio, attach new coax and pull through to radio... 15 minutes max. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #132803 20th Mar 2012 1:00pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
If you want a rubber one I see that Maplins have got a so called "All singing and dancing" one for a fiver as they've got a sale on at the moment.
Post #132804 20th Mar 2012 1:13pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Be carefull if using the same antenna for a CB & car radio, the output power from the CB could destroy the front end of the car radio as it will be exceptionally higher than the normal recived power from a radio mast.

I fitted a rubber antenna from Halfords, works fine and looks ok for a tenner.
Post #132807 20th Mar 2012 1:21pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Why do they just not integrate it into the glass like they have being doing in all other products for years? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #132808 20th Mar 2012 1:21pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Because that would be moving with the times, and non of us landy lovers like that sort of thing.

Andy
Post #132835 20th Mar 2012 2:38pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
RED-DOT wrote:
Remove radio, cut old coax at base of wingtop aerial, tie a bit of string or fishing line to cut end, pull through to radio, attach new coax and pull through to radio... 15 minutes max.

Is there really no way of joining more coax in the engine bay? I want to fit my new CB/FM aerial at the weekend and haven't really checked properly yet Whistle Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #132837 20th Mar 2012 2:49pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, you can join the coax in the engine bay. Places such as Maplin sell coax aerial female connectors which can be fitted to the cut end of the existing aerial lead, saving the trouble fo replacing the whole cable.

I know, because this is what I did...... initially!

The trouble is that these connectors are not suited to the harsh environment under the bonnet of a Landrover (although they're probably fine in the passenger compartment) and will corrode and eventually disintegrate fairly quickly. Mine lasted about a year then became more trouble than it was worth.

In the end, I took out the old lead and ran the lead from the new aerial all the way to the dash. It was surprisingly easy (mine is a Puma not a TD5) and I wish I had done it to start with.

On the Puma the distance from the point where the cable passes through the bulkhead to the radio is not far. If you cut the old lead at the base of the aerial, secure the new lead's connector end-on to the cut end of the old lead with duct tape, withdraw the radio from its slot (no need to disconnect the power) then feed the cable through from the engine side until the connector/tape/joint is through the grommet, then pull from the dash side, you can do it with no additional dismantling - on a Puma, at least. WHole job takes about 15 minutes to do!
Post #132845 20th Mar 2012 3:12pm
ZeDefender

Cheers Thumbs Up
Good thing about forums like this is that they stop me being lazy Laughing
Sorry - even more stupid question now Embarassed Do you need a special tool to remove a standard Puma radio (with aux)?

p.s. that was a lazy question Whistle Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #132849 20th Mar 2012 3:19pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
Cheers Thumbs Up
Sorry - even more stupid question now Embarassed Do you need a special tool to remove a standard Puma radio (with aux)?

p.s. that was a lazy question Whistle

Yes & no. Some people have managed to get it out in a diy fashion of screwdrivers ect. Been there tried that and failed also risk damaging the radio itself doing so too. You need a double pronged radio release key two of them and it'll be much easier! Look here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISO-Cage-Radio-R..._847wt_932
Post #132872 20th Mar 2012 5:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:

On the Puma the distance from the point where the cable passes through the bulkhead to the radio is not far. If you cut the old lead at the base of the aerial, secure the new lead's connector end-on to the cut end of the old lead with duct tape, withdraw the radio from its slot (no need to disconnect the power) then feed the cable through from the engine side until the connector/tape/joint is through the grommet, then pull from the dash side, you can do it with no additional dismantling - on a Puma, at least. WHole job takes about 15 minutes to do!

That's a good idea. Thumbs Up This is what I'm hoping to do when I have to replace one of the heater cables from engine bay to rear of dash. Think it'll work>?
Post #132874 20th Mar 2012 5:34pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
ZeDefender wrote:
Cheers Thumbs Up

p.s. that was a lazy question Whistle

Get yourself a thick wire coathanger or 6" (15.294cm for young folk!) of mild steel fence wire, a pair of pliers, and s small flat, square, or triangular file, and make a pair of extractor tools. Takes all of 10 mins and will last a lifetime.
Post #132893 20th Mar 2012 7:07pm
ZeDefender

That's more like it - just need a decent picture of how I have to file - off to look now Thumbs Up
Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #132907 20th Mar 2012 8:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>