Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > European touring spare parts list
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
European touring spare parts list
Hi,

Whenever I have travelled around Europe in an ordinary euroboxes I have'nt really worried about carrying spare parts but in a Defender I was wondering if it is sensible to carry a few items that could make a difference especially if LR dealerships a few and far apart. This year I will only be going to France but we will be doing quite a tour and expect to cover about 2500 miles. Excluding all the normal stuff [inc breathalisers now] what do you recomend.

So far I have:
    2 litres engine oil
    windscreen wash
    bulbs, various
    light switch [AMR6104]
    fuses
    alternator belt, need to find part number

Any more recommendations?
Thanks BM52
Post #131426 14th Mar 2012 10:37pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Before getting too carried away, has anything gone wrong with your motor in the last 2500miles? Give it a good service a few days before you go, take some oil by all means but you're not travelling to the outskirts of beyond, garages and shops are quite commonplace. There's very little point in worrying about something that may not happen, just go and enjoy yourself Thumbs Up
Post #131429 14th Mar 2012 10:44pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
2,500 miles in a relatively new vehicle in a relatively civilised country and you are worried about what spares to take?

If your vehicle is well maintained what would you take with you if you were doing a long trip in the UK?

If your vehicle is less then 3 years old LR Assist extends to Europe.

A decent tool kit. A good jack PLUS axle stand.

A mobile phone PLUS a good contact with your local LR garage.

IF push comes to shove your local garage can get most LR parts to France within say 48 hours.

Go and enjoy yourself.

Brendan
Post #131434 14th Mar 2012 10:48pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
IIRC you need a Reflective Jacket & Warning Triangle (there's a fine if you don't have them).

I also believed a full set of (external) bulbs is a legal requirement in some European countries?

Since I had a fuel filter problem with my TD5 (Disco), I carry a spare Fuel Filter.

Just a thought - 2 litres of oil is a lot...does your truck burn a lot of oil???

I always carry a smallish toolkit. Multitools, gaffa tape, insulating tape, cable-ties, spray-lube, a spare (second) locking-wheelnut-key.

GB sticker & beam benders (although I wouldn't bother with the beam benders or mask the lights unless you plan on travelling much at night - Johnny Foreigner in the UK seems happy to dazzle us all Rolling Eyes ).

Fire extinguisher & first aid kit ?

I'm also heading to Europe by motorbike in July. I can't carry much over my holiday luggage, but as my bike's out of warranty, I'll be travelling with full RAC cover...

Have fun! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 14th Mar 2012 10:56pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #131435 14th Mar 2012 10:49pm
bm52

Been around Europe many times with little problem but on one occaision recently i had an AC compressor go on the way down to Italy. i was near Strasburg and had to leave the car there for the hols as a spare part was not available and continue by train. The Censored of it was the hols was meant to be a cruising road trip in a Saab Conv. Ended up as a stationary hols in a hotel, mind you it was on Lake Garda but the whole point of the hols was meant to be a slow cruise via Austria on the way down and via France on the way back. Instead we sat in a train carraige Sad BM52
Post #131438 14th Mar 2012 10:52pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Fire extinguisher
Map
Tyre compressor
Decent tow rope (not a Halfords/Ebay special)
Jump leads(you never know) 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #131440 14th Mar 2012 10:57pm
JWL

So you were in a convertable, the air con compressor packs up and you ended up "stranded". Pretty much most of us would have whipped the belt off and carried on and enjoyed the sunshine Thumbs Up
Post #131441 14th Mar 2012 10:58pm
bm52

JWL wrote:
So you were in a convertable, the air con compressor packs up and you dnd up "stranded". Pretty much most of us would have whipped the belt off and carried on and enjoyed the sunshine Thumbs Up

the serpentine belt on the Saab ran everything with a pully on it, no replacement available - hence stranded. not even a shorter belt to bypass the AC compressor. Life's a b**** sometimes. BM52
Post #131442 14th Mar 2012 11:01pm
JWL

Ah, bet if they'd followed GM instructions it could have been bypassed Laughing
Post #131451 14th Mar 2012 11:27pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
A good service and membership of one of the big German Motoring organisations (ACE or ADAC). half the price of the UK firms and twice the cover with no European restrictions.
Post #131488 15th Mar 2012 9:28am
mudrut

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Hi BM52

I am going to stick my neck out and disagree with some of the above comments........

As above, it's true that there should be little difference between driving a long distance abroad in the course of a holiday and, say, the driving done in the last month or so. I guess, though, that your concern is the higher mileage in a compressed timeframe and the major inconvenience of a break down on the continent when parts can be 48 hours away compared with minutes down the road or the next morning.

I don't believe that anyone on here treats a trip abroad as lightly as a trip in England. We all take a bit more care checking things and having done so, can enjoy the journey in a more relaxed state of mind(ish!)

I agree with the service comments, but add to have it done a few days before is probably tempting fate. For instance, I leave for Sweden next Friday, so my vehicle has been serviced and is now having a few hundred miles put on it so that any new 'features' introduced during the service will be ironed out before I leave.

If you advise the age and model of your vehicle, I would be happy to suggest some inexpensive spares that you could carry.

The serpentine is a good idea. You never know when they are going to fail - but if they do, its always at the worst time. I had one fail on me in Gothenburg on the way home a few years ago and I wasn't carrying a spare - believe it or not, because I had given my spare to someone else before I left and didn't replace it. It cost me two extra days waiting for a replacement to arrive at the nearest LR dealer. (Did I feel stupid? Big Cry )

regards

Ian
Post #131548 15th Mar 2012 2:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Carry as many spares as you can think of and the bit you havent got will stop you.
Thats what happens at work, even though we carry most parts in stores, there is allways a bit that catches you out.

Id say, take nothing, risk it and get drunk every night so you dont loose sleep worrying about it!
Post #131550 15th Mar 2012 2:43pm
mudrut

^^^

Definitely what he said! Laughing

regards

Ian
Post #131552 15th Mar 2012 2:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Mountain_man wrote:
A good service and membership of one of the big German Motoring organisations (ACE or ADAC). half the price of the UK firms and twice the cover with no European restrictions.

Everyone should join ADAC !

Much cheaper than RAC or AA, far more flexible in terms of age of vehicle and size AND they cover all of Europe (including the UK) in the price unlike the AA and RAC who load there premium if you want to travel abroad - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Thumbs Up
Post #131553 15th Mar 2012 2:53pm
mudrut

Whoever you are with, if you need to call them, you are already into delays and expense which is doubly annoying when you are stuck for the sake of a £3 component.

regards

Ian
Post #131555 15th Mar 2012 2:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>