↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > European touring spare parts list
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Totally agree, it's also worth carrying the spares others have suggested even if you have no mechanical knowledge to fit them yourself as it will be much quicker for a local garage to fit your part than waiting for a replacement to be delivered.
Post #131556 15th Mar 2012 2:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mudrut

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Yep, that is a very good point. Whilst I will tackle a repair if I have to, some of the more complicated stuff is always better tackled in a comfortable workshop, but to be able to hand over the parts is very satisfying. Also, they are probably bought cheaper in the UK anyway.

regards

Ian
Post #131559 15th Mar 2012 2:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Mutual admiration society going on here Bow down Whistle
Post #131567 15th Mar 2012 2:25pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
spare serpentine belt arrived today. i couldnt believe how long it is. it is huge. Shocked

now tucked under drivers seat along with the spare light switch. hopefully i won't have to use either of them.. BM52
Post #133260 21st Mar 2012 9:57pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
belt
2 fuel filters
compressor
heavy duty (long) jump leads ( I got stuck behind a dead vehicle on a ferry and they were invaluable)
tyre plug kit (proper one not the ones with the tools which have plastic handles)

wouldnt bother with oil or washer fluid, you can buy it anywhere and if your vehicle is using oil get it sorted before you go.

small jerry can of clean fuel

basic tool kit - mole grips, spanners, big cable ties, super glue, duct tape, socket set, sharp knife

To be honest I carry all the above all the time for driving in england (except the fuel), it just lives in the vehicle, barely takes up room at all.
Post #133284 21st Mar 2012 10:38pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Just back from a week in Normandy and after nearly 1000 miles the Puma behaved faultlessly.
Now I am really looking forward to the long trip in August.

The only concern I had was the Total diesel I had to buy, caused the engine to sound very 'tappety' which went away after I filled up with Esso. BM52
Post #139078 13th Apr 2012 9:20pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I visit the in-laws in Germany about four times a year, and spend five or six weeks in Summer at my place in the South of France (yes, I’m retired).

If it’s just me and the missus I take my Morgan Plus Four, if accompanied or transporting anything bulky I use the Defender.

Surely the two most unreliable vehicles in the universe!

But ADAC membership means that in case of breakdown I’ll be towed to safety, and as for spares, what the heck is needed apart from a credit/debit card? Other than the legal requirements (bulbs, hi-viz vest, first-aid kit etc.), where would you stop - wheel bearings, shock absorbers, springs, differential? If I worried about things like that I’d rather stay at home…

Peter
Post #139308 14th Apr 2012 11:03pm
Surrey Rover

I spend a lot of time in France as I am bought a property there many years ago. It's a full days drive to get there and whilst I'm there I clock up a few thousand miles during the trip (in fact I am going on Monday but in the comfort of the Hilux Wink )

My list:

Paperwork
Spare keys
Jack and spare wheel, obviously
Fire extinguisher
Tow rope
Legal crap the frencies want - bibs, triangle etc
And nothing else.

Land Rovers are very reliable if serviced by pro's and not tinkered with by bodgers. In the last 8 years of doing these trips, I have only ever broken down once due to my own stupidity (petrol into diesel isn't a great choice), LR assist had me back up on running within hours and I was in the middle of nowhere.

IMO a good regular service is your passport to a stress free life, let the garages stock up with spare parts on your behalf, it shouldn't work the other way around, well certainly not for France anyway. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #139314 15th Apr 2012 5:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12