Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Heated mirror from heated screen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Heated mirror from heated screen
Morning all Smile

It's minus 12 outside this morning and I've changed my mind... I really would like a heated wing mirror!

As I have a long large purple wire easily accessible for the heated windscreen, can anyone give a reason why I shouldn't take a spur off it and use it for the mirror too? Using the same heater switch would be perfect. The screen uses a 30A fuse and the mirror I'm looking at is rated 15A max. Guess I could uprate the fuse a bit if neccesary... Whistle

Otherwise I probably won't bother (lazy Dog)

Cheers
Matt

p.s. yes, I've searched (...a bit) Rolling Eyes

Have a terrific day all Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #115834 16th Jan 2012 9:24am
ken

United Kingdom 
Thats how mine are done

The main and only issue is the timer on the screen as there are times when I need the mirrors on a bit longer not a train smash as they say
Post #115844 16th Jan 2012 10:01am
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
sorry to jump on your tread,is it much of a job to fit a heated screen and mirrors to td5 which has none Big Cry

thanks
Post #115861 16th Jan 2012 11:11am
ZeDefender

ken wrote:
Thats how mine are done

The main and only issue is the timer on the screen as there are times when I need the mirrors on a bit longer not a train smash as they say

Great, thanks Thumbs Up
Do you stick with the 30A fuse? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #115862 16th Jan 2012 11:17am
ken

United Kingdom 
Yep no issues at all Thumbs Up
Post #115863 16th Jan 2012 11:19am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A little o/t but related to this question:- I am planning to fit a heated screen (plus probably heated mirrors) and was also thinking of connecting theme to the same switch (I can't use the HRW circuit since I have already used that for something else).

With the standard heated screen wiring, I know that there is a timer to switch the element off after a certain period, but can it also be switched off manually before the timeout, by means of a second switch activation? or is it always on until the timer times out?

Thanks.
Post #115869 16th Jan 2012 11:43am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Yes, by pressing the button again. Mind you, the timer is only about 10 minutes, IIRC. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #115870 16th Jan 2012 11:50am
ZeDefender

Update - heated mirror is now fitted and works a treat Thumbs Up
Gets pretty warm very quickly though - hope it lasts Whistle
Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #117771 23rd Jan 2012 3:28pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Right I fitted a heated wing mirror kit over Christmas but several attempts to get it working have all failed Big Cry

I did have one working and found I has a loose wire so connected it and just caused the working pad to stop Big Cry Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #117773 23rd Jan 2012 3:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
As well as buying the heated mirror elements, am I right in thinking you can also buy heated mirrors as a complete unit?
Post #117786 23rd Jan 2012 4:49pm
dgardel

Italy 
ZeDefender wrote:
Update - heated mirror is now fitted and works a treat Thumbs Up
Gets pretty warm very quickly though - hope it lasts Whistle
Cheers
Matt

Where you routing the cable? photos?? Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #117787 23rd Jan 2012 5:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

WarPig wrote:
As well as buying the heated mirror elements, am I right in thinking you can also buy heated mirrors as a complete unit?

I bought a complete mirror unit (not the bracket) and there is a cable (about 3' long) sticking out of it with 2 wires. Just mount the thing on the bracket ball. Whole unit was about 30 quid.

dgardel wrote:
Where you routing the cable? photos??

To route the cable, I drilled a hole through to the inside, just above where the door hinge fixes to the frame. There is just enough room here (you can see it's a bit "deeper" on the inside where the door seal bends). I angled the hole slightly upwards to encourage water to come out instead of in. The frame has two skins, so to prevent chafing, I made a sheath out of a bigger piece of rubber cable to pass through the frame (slanting slightly down) and sticking out a bit both sides. Everything was glued in place with polyurethane glue and sealed up with Sikaflex (brilliant stuff Thumbs Up )
As I have a heated front windscreen, the rest was easy. I just soldered the brown wire to the windscreen heater connector and drilled a small hole just above the top "fake hinge" bolt and used a self-tapping screw to fix the blue wire to earth. The mirror just works exactly the same as the windscreen Thumbs Up
Photos tomorrow if anyone is still awake...

p.s. Still trying to convince the wife to go back to Caorle this year Wink Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #117849 23rd Jan 2012 7:26pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
ZeDefender wrote:
WarPig wrote:

I bought a complete mirror unit (not the bracket) and there is a cable (about 3' long) sticking out of it with 2 wires. Just mount the thing on the bracket ball. Whole unit was about 30 quid.

Thanks, where did you buy the mirrors from?

Photos would be useful for me please Thumbs Up
Post #117858 23rd Jan 2012 7:42pm
dgardel

Italy 
ZeDefender wrote:
WarPig wrote:

dgardel wrote:
Where you routing the cable? photos??

To route the cable, I drilled a hole through to the inside, just above where the door hinge fixes to the frame. There is just enough room here (you can see it's a bit "deeper" on the inside where the door seal bends). I angled the hole slightly upwards to encourage water to come out instead of in. The frame has two skins, so to prevent chafing, I made a sheath out of a bigger piece of rubber cable to pass through the frame (slanting slightly down) and sticking out a bit both sides. Everything was glued in place with polyurethane glue and sealed up with Sikaflex (brilliant stuff Thumbs Up )
As I have a heated front windscreen, the rest was easy. I just soldered the brown wire to the windscreen heater connector and drilled a small hole just above the top "fake hinge" bolt and used a self-tapping screw to fix the blue wire to earth. The mirror just works exactly the same as the windscreen Thumbs Up

p.s. Still trying to convince the wife to go back to Caorle this year Wink

<thank you Ze, please take a photo " I drilled a hole through to the inside, just above where the door hinge fixes to the frame"

Thumbs Up Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #117860 23rd Jan 2012 7:48pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
BigRuss wrote:
Right I fitted a heated wing mirror kit over Christmas but several attempts to get it working have all failed Big Cry

I did have one working and found I has a loose wire so connected it and just caused the working pad to stop Big Cry

did you put the mirrors in upside down ?
Post #117869 23rd Jan 2012 7:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>