↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Handy app
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pom

Handy app
Lastpass, it stores passwords for any site and auto enters them to save having to remember them. It also syncs desktop, iPad and iPhone so works anywhere.

And it's free!

Pom
Post #115580 15th Jan 2012 4:42pm
krispe

Australia 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Re: Handy app
pom wrote:
Lastpass, it stores passwords for any site and auto enters them to save having to remember them. It also syncs desktop, iPad and iPhone so works anywhere.

And it's free!

Pom

Been using it for a couple of years now, very useful and it is highly recommended from many a serious computer guy.
Security is second to none. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Kris
Post #115798 15th Jan 2012 11:47pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I personnaly don't trust such Apps. At the end of the day it remembers what your logon details for sites are......... how do you know that it isn't transmitting all your details over the net? Can it be hacked?(pretty much everything is breakable).

If I keep my passwords in my head I know they are more than safe Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #115879 16th Jan 2012 12:46pm
pom

you must have a good memory!

I've got no chance of remembering 30 add 22 character passwords!

Pom
Post #115912 16th Jan 2012 4:40pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
I was thinking the same as Glyn. What about if someone nicked your phone ? They'd have access to all your passwords etc.

I only ever store passwords on my home desktop and even then only for sites like forums etc that don't have any personal details like bank/card details, NI numbers, etc.
Post #115964 16th Jan 2012 7:55pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Most of the time I just click "reset password" - that way I get new ones E-Mailed to me and don't have to remember anything Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #115972 16th Jan 2012 8:08pm
pom

Pam W wrote:
I was thinking the same as Glyn. What about if someone nicked your phone ? They'd have access to all your passwords etc.

I only ever store passwords on my home desktop and even then only for sites like forums etc that don't have any personal details like bank/card details, NI numbers, etc.

It doesn't work like that.

1. they need to correctly guess a 4 digit code in 3 attempts to do anything with the phone.
2. Lastpass requires you to login to it each time its used so nothing is stored on your phone.
3. Lastpass themselves don't know what your passwords are as they are hashed/encrypted.

Pom
Post #115979 16th Jan 2012 8:20pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Apparently, "they" can hack anything.
I've seen Mission Impossible - nothing's impossible - well, except the mission - er sorry, I'll shut up now Embarassed Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #115983 16th Jan 2012 8:35pm
balrog

I have a few reservations with this kinds of application that stores passwords for you. And they are always ahead of you because they can just have a script running that will send them the passwords you store in it.

Though if it has been used and suggested by a lot of people, then I might as well oblige. I would prefer writing it in coded form on my notepad than have this password storage that just gets more attention.
Post #116055 16th Jan 2012 11:14pm
pom

Notepad is the absolutely worst place, pc is pinched your smoked.

With last pass there isn't a single password stored anywhere on your computer. Forget about scripts it's not 1989 war-games!

Pom

Ps I used to play Warhammer many moons ago as well.
Post #116064 16th Jan 2012 11:41pm
Glynparry25

pom wrote:
Notepad is the absolutely worst place, pc is pinched your smoked.

With last pass there isn't a single password stored anywhere on your computer. Forget about scripts it's not 1989 war-games!

Pom

Ps I used to play Warhammer many moons ago as well.

If it isn't stored on your computer.... where is it stored, who administers it, who has access to it?

If it is all 'online'...... If you are using mobile internet, who's satelite/ mast is it using? Mobile signals are not very secure at all..... The second you log on to a 'public' network all your information passed can be intercepted.

The only way this can be safe is if you use an encrypted laptop over a secure network (would cost £1000s a month) and you used an App that was administered by the secret service.

I would say your passwords would be much safer on your computer in an encrypted folder that you require a password to access.

Or..... as mentioned have it in a seperate notebook (as in pen and paper) without the username and the passwords written in your own secret code.

Since working at a millitary security unit I have had my eyes opened to the possible threats out there..,.. and most of them involve computer geeks that gain access to information that they can sell or use to get money to fuel their star trek and warhammer addictions.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #116083 17th Jan 2012 8:25am
ken

United Kingdom 
Ahh thats Pom's secret he’s gets us all to put our passwords on this App he hacks it then goes into our PC's to get the answers as Google’s running out of answers

Whistle Wink
Post #116086 17th Jan 2012 8:33am
pom

Glynparry25 wrote:
If it isn't stored on your computer.... where is it stored, who administers it, who has access to it?

It stores your passwords on the Lastpass server as a hash so no-one except you can decrpyt/access them.

Glynparry25 wrote:
If it is all 'online'...... If you are using mobile internet, who's satelite/ mast is it using? Mobile signals are not very secure at all.....

It's an SSL connection, same as when you login to the bank. Not easy at all to break for joe public.

Glynparry25 wrote:
The second you log on to a 'public' network all your information passed can be intercepted.

All wifi is susceptible to being compromised, would you log into paypal or your bank on a public wifi ? Common sense still applies.

Glynparry25 wrote:
The only way this can be safe is if you use an encrypted laptop over a secure network (would cost £1000s a month) and you used an App that was administered by the secret service.

I would say your passwords would be much safer on your computer in an encrypted folder that you require a password to access.

Or..... as mentioned have it in a seperate notebook (as in pen and paper) without the username and the passwords written in your own secret code.

Since working at a millitary security unit I have had my eyes opened to the possible threats out there..,.. and most of them involve computer geeks that gain access to information that they can sell or use to get money to fuel their star trek and warhammer addictions.

Glyn Dog Sheep

Windows 7 supports encryption by default (bitlocker) you just need to enable it. Files can be brute forced or rainbow tabled relatively fast these days, its the absolutle worst option from a security point to have them stored on a stealable PC/laptop. Second worse is a notepad which again once pinched anyone with zero skill and resources can use. I know that at GCHQ it is a sackable offense to write down anywhere login credentials.

I wouldn't say the Military or any other government agency are any good at infosec to be honest or they wouldnt keep losing cd's and sticks full of info Mr. Green They are good at keeping the UFO stuff secret though as it aint on computers....

Pom
Post #116115 17th Jan 2012 10:50am
Glynparry25

You get all this for free!!!!

So how come banks, paypal etc spend millions on security evry year when they could just go to iTunes apps and get it for free?

Millitary computers that hold protectivly marked material is fully encrypted and as yet I am unaware of anyone being able to gain access to information above Restricted (same goes for USB sticks and CD/DVDs). At the end of the day there will always be a 'human factor' such as forgetting the laptop on a train, having it stolen from a secure car, not encrypting files etc.....

My work password is long, doesn't make sense at all and is changed far to often, but I am now, over time getting better at being able to remember it along with combinations to several securit cabinets. If there was something out there that could remember it for me it would make things easy but it brings in another possible threat (with it being internet it makes it possible for anyone in the world to access).

I don't write any work passwords/ combinations down, but some others are. If the notebook (which is in my possetion 10hrs a day and then locked in a secure cablinet the rest of the time. If I were to loose it the first train of thought will be to change my passweods.... just as you would do with your bank cards if you loose you wallet.

Password in head = Only you know/ can access it.
Password in notebook/ computer= Induviduals who steal your notebook/ computer can gain access to it- but there is something physical you have lost so know your security is at risk and can take action.
Password stored on net= Anyone in the world can gain the knolwedege and gain access to it and the first you know about it, it is too late.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #116138 17th Jan 2012 12:22pm
pom

They dont operate for nothing! The freebie service is just that. Their paid service lets you use lastpass across platforms (ipad, mac, android etc).

Remember all encryption can be brute forced its just a question of time needed.

Pom
Post #116155 17th Jan 2012 1:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>