↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Solar chargers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
The question for me is does the CTEK solar charger come with its own panel or do you have to purchase a panel separately? If so, where do you get a suitable panel from?

Thanks,

Mark
Post #172507 1st Oct 2012 7:10pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Pope what panel do you want, I can get most sizes and makes. However for the cost I would probably go for a small suitcase generator and fire up occasionally. Gives you a lot more options in the long run.

The panels that you see on most houses are now in the 250w / 37voc / 8 amp range and measure 1.67m x .997m probably a bit overkill for your needs. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #172554 1st Oct 2012 8:48pm
pope10001

I think you're right Landlord a 1kw silent Honda Genny would probably be the best idea.
Post #172560 1st Oct 2012 9:10pm
pope10001

I think you're right Landlord a 1kw silent Honda Genny would probably be the best idea.
Post #172561 1st Oct 2012 9:11pm
Landlord

Have a look at the Hyundai suitcase generators. Good spec and cost a lot less than the Honda equivalent Thumbs Up 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #172568 1st Oct 2012 9:23pm
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
chopcat wrote:
T1G UP wrote:
Personally i don't have a solar charger but these look good

http://www.ctek-chargers.com/?gclid=CLrMspm-vq0CFWIntAod92Dc_Q

can you plug solar panels in to them then?

Yes they have a built in solar regulator so you just need a panel.
Post #172890 3rd Oct 2012 9:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
pope10001 wrote:
The question for me is does the CTEK solar charger come with its own panel or do you have to purchase a panel separately? If so, where do you get a suitable panel from?

Thanks,

Mark

You have to purchase a panel seperately, however the panel does not need a regulator as that is built into the CTEK - Landlord is your man for the panels!!
Post #172891 3rd Oct 2012 10:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
specific ctek
there are only specific ctek solar regulators / chargers that work with solar panels so if you are proposing to use one make sure it is one of the dual ac/dc versions which are about double the cost of the 240v chargers.
Post #172926 3rd Oct 2012 12:36pm
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
Re: specific ctek
chopcat wrote:
there are only specific ctek solar regulators / chargers that work with solar panels so if you are proposing to use one make sure it is one of the dual ac/dc versions which are about double the cost of the 240v chargers.

Agreed Thumbs Up

My posts were regarding the D250S which is a DC to DC split charger
Post #172927 3rd Oct 2012 12:38pm
Landlord

mobilecentre wrote:
pope10001 wrote:

Thanks,

Mark

You have to purchase a panel seperately, however the panel does not need a regulator as that is built into the CTEK - Landlord is your man for the panels!!

Cheers Tim

I have considered the solar charging issue and use with expedition vehicles. There are a number of pros and cons but one of the major considerations, as already mentioned, is the use of the vehicle for charging low powered items. We're all driving a mobile deisel generator which for most applications is more than suitable for our needs. Ths downside is if camping and not running an engine for days on end.

For charging batteries to run fridges etc for extended periods a reasonable sized solar panel is required and it must have uninteruppted sunlight to be most efficient. Any shading will dramatically reduce its output. Furthermore the orientation to South (Northern hemisphere) is critical and likewise the elevation of the panel to the sun is important to get the best yield of power per day.

I have considered importing something similar to these but more for commercial use where they can be left unattended without regular refueling

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...CCcQ9QEwAg

if anyone wants to discuss the use of solar drop me a PM and I will try to help Thumbs Up 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #172929 3rd Oct 2012 12:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12