Home > For Sale & Wanted > Defender prices not being attained
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Defender prices not being attained
Have you noticed that s/h Defenders are not selling?

I'm watching tens of dozens on eBay, Autotrader and Piston heads, and so many are not selling and being relisted. I've even had sellers calling me back several times asking if I am still interested at lower prices Shocked

The reason? The owners think they are worth more than someone is willing to pay. Plus the fact we didn't get all that snow and tundra weather that was forecast back in October means that the anticipated 'value-add' of having a LR didn't materialise.

It's certainly a buyers market out there, trouble is, if the seller thinks it's worth more and won't negotiate, no deals will get done. Shame, especially as I have cash burning in my pocket for the right car. There's a nice TD5 with high miles for sale on this forum but I can;t stretch to what the owner wants for it, but it's a lovely car Big Cry 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #112351 5th Jan 2012 11:20am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Things always slow down over Xmas and the New year, it will pick back up again soon and we are not in the clear yet for snowy weather! Something nice will eventually come along for you at the right price, the recession will help Wink
Post #112362 5th Jan 2012 11:48am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ken

United Kingdom 
Snow what bad weather Big Cry
Post #112364 5th Jan 2012 11:49am
pom

just traded mine in, got 250 quid more than i paid for it 18 months ago!

first motor i ever made money on.

Pom
Post #112365 5th Jan 2012 11:51am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
trouble is when you turn up in a 40k rr to look at a 4k 90 they no you got a few more $ than you say!
Post #112366 5th Jan 2012 11:51am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Ah, yes that is true but then if the 40K RR looks like its not been washed for 6 months and I get out in a boiler suit it may alter their perception!

My RR gets used for its proper purpose, I'm not prissy about it, and its gets loaded up with muddy people, dogs, stuff, logs, chainsaws and earns its keep. Sometimes I think it looks better when its filthy than when its spanking clean. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #112403 5th Jan 2012 1:09pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 
i agree all LRs look better when they are muddy etc, but if it was me, being a bit younger than maybe some people on here and you turned up wearing a boiler suit in a dirty Range, i would first think fair play,

But i would also think that you have a fair bit of cash as you can afford to not worry to much about a 40K car if you see what i mean.

For instance, if i bought a 40K car, that would be a large expense for me so i would want to keep it in as best condition as possible etc etc.

Like you, my 90 is used, leave the dogg jumping around in it, its always dirty on the outside etc. I guess the difference is about 30K worth of car. Current:D4 HSE
Gone: BMW Z4MC
Gone: Defender TD5 90 CSW
Previous: Discovery TD5 ES (Gone)
Post #112416 5th Jan 2012 1:37pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
RRUK wrote:
Ah, yes that is true but then if the 40K RR looks like its not been washed for 6 months and I get out in a boiler suit it may alter their perception!

My RR gets used for its proper purpose, I'm not prissy about it, and its gets loaded up with muddy people, dogs, stuff, logs, chainsaws and earns its keep. Sometimes I think it looks better when its filthy than when its spanking clean.

You see i think thats what a defender is for! they are a working vehicle. If you have enough coin to wreck a FFRR then you shouldn't be messing about with an old defender

Come sale time the FFRR will be worth alot less than a tidy one as know one wants to buy a knackered car, let alone the best luxury 4x4 ever.

hurry up and buy something anyway as it's turning into a Zag thread Rolling with laughter
Post #112420 5th Jan 2012 1:53pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Laughing Mmm clean Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Here's a contradiction in images. A nice but scruffy old bloke I know with a beard and no teeth lives in a rickety wooden house which he made years ago out of railway packing cases. Outside he has old cars, tractors, trailers etc and his sheds/caravans are full of lawn mowers, chain saws, over 80 stationary engine (3K plus ones and some real big bggers!). It's all kept a bit of a secret, you've never seen anything like it, he has a 30' long wall of shelving with just gaskets, chains, carbs, etc etc as he used to run a lawn mower repair business.....

Anyway he runs around in a 35K RR Shocked must be a shock seeing him get out at the supermarket Laughing He was offered it for 5K in a will from a wealthy employer that had passed away. I wouldn't touch the blimmen thing with a barge pole all the suspension went on it recently so I am guessing it will be just left languishing like all his other old motors in his garden/field.
Post #112431 5th Jan 2012 2:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
westfield106

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
agree with rruk. i too am on the look out for a defender and have been watching a few on ebay and autotrader.
i recently agreeg a sale with a forum member for a very nice 09 plate xs but he decided not to sell after he viewed several 110's that were overpriced !!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
i missed out on a 90 xs on autotrader as hadnt sold my d3. the 90 appeared on a forecourt near to me priced at 3.5k over what it was advertised on autotrader Shocked Shocked Shocked needless to say it is still for sale.
eventually the right 1 will come along (i hope).
Post #112509 5th Jan 2012 5:17pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
That or we find one which is 60% right and MODIFY the hell out of them! Twisted Evil 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #112510 5th Jan 2012 5:27pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
people all think they are worth those prices, but actual sale prices are a lot lower
Post #112519 5th Jan 2012 5:55pm
drewster

Wales 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Any one fancy a 300 tdi CSw for 15 k lol
Post #112529 5th Jan 2012 6:38pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Noticed three sold last year for 12-13K, very nice low mileage examples Thumbs Up A lot cheaper than getting someone to re-build one for you Thumbs Up
Post #112535 5th Jan 2012 6:46pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
FFS Anything is only worth the price a potential buyer is willing to pay for it. What's the point of bleating on about inflated prices? Defenders command high prices due to availability, heritage and a myriad of other reasons. Hell if I were selling mine I'd inflate the price as well in the attempt to obtain 'top dollar.' But I'm not, and as a result don't really care! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 6th Jan 2012 7:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #112743 6th Jan 2012 12:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>