Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
So to summarise what you are saying, yes they are all over priced? 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #112810 6th Jan 2012 10:31am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 
maybe over priced to what a used car guide says.... But they arnt theirs to sell.

I guess it comes down to what every owner values them at, and what people are willing to pay for them.

If someone wants/NEEDS one, they will just have to pay what the going rate is.

If every Defender owner got together and said lets inflate the price by £2000, everyone looking to buy used would either have to buy new, pay the extra or choose another vehicle/model.

I guess when mosty people sell a Defender, the dont need to in a rush, so they would happily let it sit not selling for a while and command a high price.

I know if i sold mine, i would price it high for a few months to guage interest, then decide what i would let it go for, and if it didnt go, i would keep it.... Current:D4 HSE
Gone: BMW Z4MC
Gone: Defender TD5 90 CSW
Previous: Discovery TD5 ES (Gone)
Post #112811 6th Jan 2012 10:37am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
RRUK wrote:
So to summarise what you are saying, yes they are all over priced?

Then surely if there ALL overpriced you have your expectation set to high!

You want a rolls royce for mini money. Far more important is the actual CONDITION of the vehicle not how it looks or what tat someone has bolted on.

I gave you a perfact example in your other thread, a galvy chassis, 200 tdi with PAS for 3k ono. Your budget is 5k so thats 2k under, plus negociation.

Do you frequent any other landrover forums? This forum is predominantly for new...ish defenders. theres the odd ringer in here but on the whole it's about the PUMA.

Try lr4x4,landy zone,difflock, LRO etc etc etc. they run older defenders mainly and have a great knowledge base on the older ones including sales prices.They also have defenders 90 /110s for sale that do not get advertised on ebay etc.
Post #112813 6th Jan 2012 10:47am
Surrey Rover

I think most people must take a large tug on a crack pipe before they make up the price they think they are going to sell a Defender for.

Unfortunately this then starts a trend and then everything becomes over priced and hardly anything sells, the markets then awash with second hand Defenders and then the inevitable happens, the bottom falls out of it. The greedy are left with a Defender they can't shift and the others that must sell take a massive hit.

IMO the best time to buy is when there is nothing going on in the world that's new worthy. The media then switches their attention back to becoming obsessed about fuel prices. The Daily Mail will then as predicted print some doom and gloom story about 10,000% increase in the price of fuel over the next three years and bingo the market tanks and Defenders are back to a reasonable price to buy second hand. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper

Last edited by Surrey Rover on 6th Jan 2012 10:50am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #112814 6th Jan 2012 10:49am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I hadn't looked a those forums yet so thanks for that.

I am very realistic, I know that in my budget I wont get an amazing LR, but the fun part is making it much better, it's a project, not just buying a car to drive and forget. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #112816 6th Jan 2012 10:49am
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
When I sold my Td5 hardtop earlier this year, I was amused by the state of the 2nd-hand market. People selling similar vehicles (base model 90, 115k, FSH, VGC but not immaculate) wanted around £5.5k - £6k. I watched a few of those sit on various websites for months, coming down gradually in price.

It seemed the price they actually sold at varied between just over £4k and £5k depending on a few things - mainly the patience of the seller I think. Mine was in short supply because I'd already put a deposit on a new vehicle and needed cash. I put it on a certain LR website at 6am for £4.5k and it was gone by 11am for pretty much that figure. A dose of realism saves a lot of stress.

I had previously been offered £2k trade-in at a certain main dealer near the Scottish border... Rolling with laughter
Post #112953 6th Jan 2012 6:54pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
sold my 300tdi 99 130 on the clock 2 months ago.

bought it for £6600 7 years ago and sold it for £6000 and have had many call since asking for it.
Post #112970 6th Jan 2012 7:21pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
300tdi's fetch ridiiiiiiiculous money second-hand, no idea why really. Part of the myth about it being an 'iconic' engine that never breaks down, can be fixed with only a brick and a pair of tweezers, and lasts for 500,000 miles. None of which are actually true.

Anyway, yes late 300tdi's are worth more than early Td5s. I'd imagine late Td5s are worth more than early Pumas too. Normally it's the other way round! Says something about the mindset of people who buy Defenders.
Post #112996 6th Jan 2012 7:56pm
drewster

Wales 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
twopoint6khz wrote:
300tdi's fetch ridiiiiiiiculous money second-hand, no idea why really. Part of the myth about it being an 'iconic' engine that never breaks down, can be fixed with only a brick and a pair of tweezers, and lasts for 500,000 miles. None of which are actually true.

Anyway, yes late 300tdi's are worth more than early Td5s. I'd imagine late Td5s are worth more than early Pumas too. Normally it's the other way round! Says something about the mindset of people who buy Defenders.

this realy makes my day i am so happy i can pay my mortgage off Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #113015 6th Jan 2012 8:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Drewster, not in Brockenhurst you can't! Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #113069 6th Jan 2012 10:14pm
drewster

Wales 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
K9F wrote:
Drewster, not in Brockenhurst you can't! Laughing

i was hopeing to get at least 50k for my 97 csw lol Big Cry Big Cry Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #113076 6th Jan 2012 10:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RED-DOT

Scotland 
My local LR outlet are buying 90 Defenders from the web and classifieds as no one is trading in for new anymore but the phone for good serviced and non modified 90's never stops ringing.... I had a new TD5 90 in 1999 and a workmate had a 1995 Tdi and the difference in build and drive quality was huge and the new Pumas are much better too. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #113105 6th Jan 2012 11:12pm
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
300 tdis dont need to be fixed with tweezers coz they dont go wrong Rolling with laughter i will be buying a puma this year and its got a lot to live upto, 200 and 300 tdis have been super reliable never really actually leaving me strandad
ever ! and thats over many many miles lets see what the puma an do......
will keep the 300 for a while when the puma is purchased but having seen the recent prices i may offer to swap my 1995 for a puma , i should actually get a few grand too Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Have fun be happy
Post #113248 7th Jan 2012 5:51pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
There is a point about what collectively we think the market should be so we dont loose money - or at least not as much...why should sellers devalue the trending prices?

Anyway - i dont have a defender any more and each one i did have technically held its value whilst increasing age and mileage Mike
Post #113959 9th Jan 2012 11:58pm
Projectblue

England 
Time for realism.

There are those of us who have been around Defenders for years. We have loved them despite all their foibles and we understand their many flaws and live with them. For us, the current pricing of Defenders is questionable.

Then there are those new to Defenders. The buyers of british icons, lured by the traditional looks and Top Gear 'Best car ever' (or whatever it was title. They have money and understand that £30k for a car that does everything a Volvo estate does, but also goes off road, and doesn't have the stigma of a BMW X5 is good value.

Finally there is the trade. These are the dealers who take the risk at auction and purchase what they think they can sell at a profit, for they are a business. Their stock and the prices requested are led by the market and whatever they paid for it. Easy to forget that 2 years ago Land Rovers were plummeting faster than the reputation of News of the World. No one complained then.

So the market drives Defender prices. Like houses, people stick a price tag on them and hope for the best. If you have the money you buy. If you don't and have patience, you wait. If you have neither, you complain.
Post #116203 17th Jan 2012 4:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>