↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Amber engine warning light!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
markieboy

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Java Black
Amber engine warning light!
Hi all, after some help please.
On way home today Amber engine light on dash is illuminated all the time! Is there anything I can do to sort this? Or is it job for main dealer? Is it safe to still use or will it cause more damage? Puma is 2007 , and everything seems normal when driving?? Any advice gratefully received .
Post #90188 20th Sep 2011 4:43pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Could be something as small as a monitoring sensor but there is noway of knowing until you get it plugged in. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #90192 20th Sep 2011 5:06pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
well you need to know what the fault is. no one can answer your question without knowing the fault code, so if you dont have a diagnostic yourself, you need to go to a dealer.

if you have an android phone you can download an app called "torque" and also you need a bluetooth key for the diagnostic port. total cost about 120 sterling.
Post #90196 20th Sep 2011 5:48pm
markieboy

Off to the dealer I go then! Thanks for your quick replys boys!
Post #90201 20th Sep 2011 6:01pm
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
Markie,
Be interested to hear whether when they plug in to see if it is showing P1169 Fuel issue.
Just had mine replaced yesterday, when all were saying it was the EGR valve and something else.
Clearly as stated by previous person when they plug in it should tell them straight away hopefully mate, hope you are still under warranty or extended it.
Post #90203 20th Sep 2011 6:19pm
Lorryman100

Gil9713 wrote:
Markie,
Be interested to hear whether when they plug in to see if it is showing P1169 Fuel issue.
Just had mine replaced yesterday, when all were saying it was the EGR valve and something else.

All Confused I thought I hit the nail on the head with your problem? Whistle

As long as the defender didn't enter limp mode I wouldn't get in a panic over the MIL being illuminated. Chances are that after three driving cycles the lamp will go out unless the tested DTC keeps failing the tests. Chances are though it will be a sensor issue, (most likely MAF as your defender is 4 years old. I'm guessing this as there is no dtc code available). The only way to know for sure is to plug in a diagnostic tool and see what dtc is logged. You should also consider getting some kind of faultcode reader as the dealers usually charge one hours labour to connect it up and read the codes which is a 5 minute job. There are numerous basic readers like BigMike suggested, others to consider are Scangauge 2, Nanocom evolution, Bearmach Hawkeye etc.

HTH Brian.
Post #90226 20th Sep 2011 8:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Bri is definitely your man for fault codes and the like Thumbs Up
Post #90229 20th Sep 2011 8:31pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Does it reappear when you turn the engine off and restart it?
My TD5 does it often but resets next start.
Fault code reading always says crankshaft sensor. Have replaced it twice with no improvement.
Post #90232 20th Sep 2011 8:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
If it something like a MAF Sensor related code (P1103) it could well be gone by the time you get to your dealer. Three driving cycles and they reset automatically as mentioned!

Doh!!!! Just re-read the thread and Lorryman had beaten me to it! I know....If you snooze you lose! it is getting late... Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #90248 20th Sep 2011 10:43pm
markieboy

Thanks for all your help. Going to invest in fault reader like you all suggested! I'll let you know what outcome of the engine light was! Thanks to all!
Post #90436 21st Sep 2011 5:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Had exactly the same recently. so had AA out to look ( I was unwell at the time) EGR valve fault nothing to worry about cleared code and all sorted!
Post #92093 30th Sep 2011 10:53am
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
BigMike wrote:
well you need to know what the fault is. no one can answer your question without knowing the fault code, so if you dont have a diagnostic yourself, you need to go to a dealer.

if you have an android phone you can download an app called "torque" and also you need a bluetooth key for the diagnostic port. total cost about 120 sterling.

Hi, please could advise a bit more detail re the blootooth key. Thanks BM52
Post #99396 11th Nov 2011 7:03pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
found the android app: https://market.android.com/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en
found what I think is the cable but it is $ at a scary price....! need to get up off the floor and have another look around the web.

Question - do i need one with 1+ year of warranty left - hmmm. BM52
Post #99404 11th Nov 2011 7:42pm
Lorryman100

I don't know an awful lot about these cheaper scan tools so can anyone with one confirm that they are generic/manufacturer specific or only read generic OBDII DTC's?

0 = Generic (The diagnostic codes that are required by law on all OBD II systems are "generic" in the sense that all vehicle manufacturers use the same common code list and the same 16-pin diagnostic connector. Thus, a P0301 misfire code on a Ford means the same thing on a Vauxhall, Citroen, Toyota or Mercedes.)

1 = Enhanced ( Each vehicle manufacturers also have the freedom to add their own "enhanced" codes to provide even more detailed information about various faults. Enhanced codes also cover non-emission related failures that occur outside the engine control system. These include ABS codes, HVAC codes, airbag codes and other body and electrical codes.)

I know that the scangauge I have fitted only reads tested DTC's that illuminate the MIL and is restricted in what type 1 DTC's it shows. I do believe from looking at the scangauge site that its new generation of reader can also show pending DTC's HERE

Also when buying something like a generic reader/OBDII plug and cable, it also needs to be compliant with the Ford J1850-PWM protocol or it wont work on the Puma. Ford vehicles from 1996 to 2002 almost exclusively used the PWM protocol. From 2003 to 2007 Ford vehicles will either support PWM or CAN, my Puma is a 2009 model and it uses PWM/CAN. If you are going to keep the Puma for a while why not buy a Nanocom as it does everything you will need to keep on top of faults on your Puma?

Brian.
Post #99407 11th Nov 2011 8:08pm
Molusk

France 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alpine White
Lorryman100 wrote:

I know that the scangauge I have fitted only reads tested DTC's that illuminate the MIL and is restricted in what type 1 DTC's it shows. I do believe from looking at the scangauge site that its new generation of reader can also show pending DTC's HERE

Hello,
I a am about to get a Scangauge II, but I do need the device to be able to help me in fault finding. So how can I be sure the Scangauge I am purchasing is able te read and clear both tested and untested (pending) DTC?
Thanks for help,
Julien.

PS: what is the difference between tested and untested DTC? Are tested DTC faults about real defects that have still not been corrected, and untested DTC faults due to "one-shot" sensor value out of range for instance?
Post #115867 16th Jan 2012 11:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>