Home > Technical > Gearbox problem?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WF10

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Gearbox problem?
First post, so here goes!

Bought a '10 plate 90 a few weeks ago, but only really started to use it over Christmas break. I have noticed that gearbox is good when cold, but when warm after about 15 miles the synchro seems weak on upchange from second to third and I can "feel" the dogs engaging. On downshift from fourth, no problem.

If I go back and complain, am I going to get the old excuse, "they all do that"?

Do they all do that?

It's done less than 4000 miles.
Post #111414 2nd Jan 2012 12:12pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
If it's downshifting OK you already seem to understand how to change your gear changing style from a car to a Defender so that can be crossed off as a possible cause (e.g. changing gear slowly and not accelerating until the clutch is fully out!). Mine is also just under 4000 miles and I don't experience your symptoms so no it's not "normal". The gearbox/clutch does seem to be the achilles of some TDCi's Neutral
Post #111416 2nd Jan 2012 12:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
The 6 speed gearbox on the Puma, combined with it's 3.5Ton towing capability means there is not a smooth ratio change from 1st to 6th.
6th is basically an overdrive, and in order to get things moving when towing 1st and 2nd ratios have been lowered. This means there is more of a gap between 2nd and 3rd and if you change gear as in a 6 speed Car gearbox then you can beat the synchro and , as you stated, this would be more apparent when the drive train is warmed up.
I came from a Mazda RX8 to a Puma and had the same problem on changing up from 2nd to 3rd as you seem to have. But I have now modified my driving style a la Defender, and slowed my gear change from 2nd to 3rd. Instead of 2nd to 3rd in one movement - 2nd to Neutral to 3rd with clutch in. Some let clutch out in neutral. Then clutch out. I can still beat some of the posers away from the lights but once in 3rd or 4th on a hill then they're gone, in my rear view mirror.
Remember it's a Defender, not a GTi, but it does have some advantages. Try it, it could just be you haven't adjusted your driving style yet! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #111420 2nd Jan 2012 12:49pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
there are a couple of threads on the go at the moment on this and people are possibly tired of me saying this but ....
try changing the gearbox oil for 2.2 litres of lovely Castrol SMX S ! I did mine within a few hundred miles of the 110 leaving the factory only because there were many posts on Gbox problems and a couple of guys did tests on the factory oil with alarming results (ATF used etc during assembly). When I drained mine despite it being so new it was chock full of swarf and glittery metal particles. I've done 4000 miles now and even when warm (boy does that gearbox get hot) theres no crunching or roughness in the gearchange.
I am totally hamfisted with mechanical matters so oils + filters are the only jobs I'd tackle myself and its a bit fiddly but quite possible. Might be worth a try.
Welcome to the forum by the way Very Happy
Post #111425 2nd Jan 2012 1:22pm
WF10

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I am fairly used to Defender gearboxes, I have had Defenders since about 1994 and have had Land Rovers since about 1972. I have tried changing technique and can lessen the problem, but can't stop it completely.

I had been thinking about a different oil, I can only assume that the oil in the gearbox is the original that it left the factory with. I will take up the suggestion of the Castrol SMX S and give it a try.

I suppose if all else fails I've still got 18 months warranty left!

Cynical, me?

Barry
Post #111433 2nd Jan 2012 1:40pm
WF10

I tried all the usual ways of driving style change to try and get the gear change brtter but it was always hit or miss whether the change was going to be good or bad!

After reading all the advice given, I decided to change the gearbox oil almost as a last resort. Drained the oil into a clean drip tray and immediately noticed how "tired" the oil looked, very brown and streaky. Was also not very happy at the amount of fine metalic particles that came out with it. Refilled the gearbox ( a delightfull job!) and went for a drive. Staggering difference, it's now a job to make a bad gearchange!

I used Ford 75/90 that conformed to the WSD specification in the handbook at about £15/litre!

In view of the amount of rubbish that came out at 3500 miles, I would reccomend anyone to carry out the oil change as a matter of course!

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
Post #116298 17th Jan 2012 9:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1