Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Modifications
You might have seen this before:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/thre...o-Kinshasa

It's a cracking (long) read, but I found myself shaking my head quite a bit (albeit from an armchair). And lets not get into a LR/Toyota debate.

There's no doubt they'd have benefitted from a winch and lockers, but reading this site and loads of others it seems to me that "we" are modification crazy - buying things and putting them on vehicles because we think we "should" have them or just because we want them. Is the purpose of an overland trip to travel? Or to use the vehicle you have so lovingly modified? or is the vehicle the tool you use to get you there, and the modifications solely for the terrain you will encounter and the conditions?

Thoughts?
Post #109701 24th Dec 2011 11:58am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Mike, both LR and Toyotas are very capable machines as they come 'out of the box' Thumbs Up

People look at me dumb founded when I say I do NOT recommend a lot of kit on our red 110 as they do not NEED it.

Your NEEDS come first. One person NEEDS can be completely different to another persons needs.

If your need is to go to Dorking supermarket Razz then a standard vehicle will do. Crossing middle of Siberia in middle of winter then you might NEED a few modifications.

NEEDS first followed by WANTS within your BUDGET

A good read Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #109727 24th Dec 2011 1:22pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I'm a HUGE fan of ExPo Cool

I spend Wwwaaayyyy to much time on there, Mrs Greeni (Kate) always asks if I had my "fix" today !!

I've subscribed to the Overland Journal too Whistle
Post #109729 24th Dec 2011 1:46pm
paulgrs2

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 110 200 Tdi PU Baltic Blue
Re: Modifications
BigMike wrote:

There's no doubt they'd have benefitted from a winch and lockers, but reading this site and loads of others it seems to me that "we" are modification crazy - buying things and putting them on vehicles because we think we "should" have them or just because we want them. Is the purpose of an overland trip to travel? Or to use the vehicle you have so lovingly modified? or is the vehicle the tool you use to get you there, and the modifications solely for the terrain you will encounter and the conditions?

Thoughts?

Does baffle me some of the stuff and modifications some people do, spending thousands of quids. Don't get me wrong some are good and make life abit more comfortable in the field but others I just think are a waste of money and must be just a pretty addition.
Post #109730 24th Dec 2011 1:53pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I think it's fair to say, to most people.... it's a hobby !

Nothing wrong with people collecting 'trinkets' to bolt on their toys Cool

When I had my fully winched, lockered, 35" simex, caged up 90, I ached for a standard 90!

Back on topic...
Post #109736 24th Dec 2011 2:04pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Im aching for another IBEX but cant justify 20 odd grand Big Cry Big Cry
Post #109742 24th Dec 2011 2:27pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
we're planning a trip south next year. would like to camp and get as far south as Morocco with the family.

I'm happy that the 110 will do it without a single mod. Although there will be mods to make the journey easier.
Post #109747 24th Dec 2011 2:34pm
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
In my limited travelling experiance the easiest trip with the least hassle was in an unmodified 110.

As Brendan says, its needs and wants. You can get by without any modifcations at all, but I realised a long time ago that any fool can be uncomfortable, so for me things like a fridge and awning are wants that I have come to need. Whenever I go away and camp without them I miss them.

I have taken a different approach with my 110. I have kept everything mechanically Gen LR, and as may of the additions have been fitted with that in mind.

Some items hae been changed - the stereo is a prime example. After a couple of days in the desert our CD player gave up because of the dust, so I now have a solid state head unit that plays an ipod safely stored in the cubby in a protective box. 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #109759 24th Dec 2011 4:18pm
T1G UP

Ok moving on from the OP what would be your first mods?

Mines looking like seat runner extentions,

fitting my sparco steering wheel,

mantec storage
Post #110639 29th Dec 2011 9:35pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
All back to Brendon's NEEDS and WANTS Marcus

I NEEDED to make wild camps as comfortable as possible, hence storage solutions to take 60% of the stuff i would never need , Rack and roof tent, awning, fridge, etc etc

Then security without looking like a securicor van ! Load guard, window guards, privacy glass, Lockable cubby, and drawer etc etc

Next was vehicle NEEDS/WANTS,,, Axel, steering and fuel guards, RAI, winch (used a few times !!) Tyres, power systems,

Then travel comforts, WANTS were cruise, nav, proper stereo etc California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #110651 29th Dec 2011 10:00pm
T1G UP

thinking of everyday improvements for my bus Tim. I can do the wants bit later....this list is comprehensive!

i need the seat back further.I need my smaller wheel on, i need a sensible / flexible storage system in the rear for everyday crap the family dog require aswell as doubling as overland fit storage later.

Also on the list is improved ICE, sound deadening, some tints, a re map and a host of man up parts
Post #110653 29th Dec 2011 10:09pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Right, i was working on the below, as per the topic / section
Quote:
Expedition & Overland > Modifications

plus

T1G UP wrote:
we're planning a trip south next year. would like to camp and get as far south as Morocco with the family.

I'm happy that the 110 will do it without a single mod. Although there will be mods to make the journey easier.

T1G UP wrote:
and a host of man up parts

So, got your work cut out then Rolling with laughter California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #110656 29th Dec 2011 10:19pm
T1G UP

TJ101 wrote:
Right, i was working on the below, as per the topic / section
Quote:
Expedition & Overland > Modifications

plus

T1G UP wrote:

T1G UP wrote:
and a host of man up parts

So, got your work cut out then Rolling with laughter

Meeoww....Ah well, could be worse, could be Walfy!

This is our main vehicle so must perform daily duties aswell as the further afield stuff. So the mantec storage cages along with a little sliding tray and boxes will do the same, for us, as a £600 mobile storage system AND fit the shopping / dog / horse stuff etc. The rear security comes along later. I like the spec of your 110 Tim, considered and reversable mods. It suits my needs but i can tot up the $$$$ spent and right now i'm not spending all that whilst i got another house to sell and move.
Post #110659 29th Dec 2011 10:28pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Different people will have different needs due to many different reasons.

One of the essential needs for the majority of people planning trips is a CARGO BARRIER.

Only have soft items loose in the passenger compartments. Hard items should be well secured in the passenger compartments.

When things go tits up, it happens fast. Get clobbered around back of head with loose pillow/fleece etc does not matter. Have a loose shackle/fire extinguisher/lump hammer hitting you around back of head at mach 5 and it will hurt

STORAGE, think carefully about it. Tea brewing kit needs to be handy, it does not matter if it takes 30 minutes to get your spare fuel filter out. Keep a few tools handy, stanley knife/adjustable spanner etc. Does it matter if it takes 30 minutes to get your hub spanner out or a full socket set out? If you need those items you will not be going anywhere fast so a bit of time getting them out is not a big issue.

Remember a standard Land Rover is a very capable machine out of the box, and excess weight is a travelers enemy!

Travelling solo you have to be more self reliant then travelling in a convoy.

Different people have different budgets. Consider your medium term needs as well as your short term needs.

Brendan
Post #110664 29th Dec 2011 10:37pm
T1G UP

leeds wrote:
Different people will have different needs due to many different reasons.

One of the essential needs for the majority of people planning trips is a CARGO BARRIER.

Only have soft items loose in the passenger compartments. Hard items should be well secured in the passenger compartments.

When things go tits up, it happens fast. Get clobbered around back of head with loose pillow/fleece etc does not matter. Have a loose shackle/fire extinguisher/lump hammer hitting you around back of head at mach 5 and it will hurt

STORAGE, think carefully about it. Tea brewing kit needs to be handy, it does not matter if it takes 30 minutes to get your spare fuel filter out. Keep a few tools handy, stanley knife/adjustable spanner etc. Does it matter if it takes 30 minutes to get your hub spanner out or a full socket set out? If you need those items you will not be going anywhere fast so a bit of time getting them out is not a big issue.

Remember a standard Land Rover is a very capable machine out of the box, and excess weight is a travelers enemy!

Travelling solo you have to be more self reliant then travelling in a convoy.

Different people have different budgets. Consider your medium term needs as well as your short term needs.

Brendan

I can buy a LR cargo thing for £252...is that the cheapest? I've ask for a mantec price,i need an idea on seat runners without lifting the seat to much.
Post #110667 29th Dec 2011 10:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>