↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 2012 MOT Changes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
2012 MOT Changes
Somebody was asking about changes to the MOT for 2012, so I thought I'd post this summary that I found on the AA website:

Quote:
The main changes from 2012

Electronic parking brake
Electronic parking brake controls are now included and must be present and not inappropriately repaired or modified - repair obviously likely to adversely affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle or modification that has seriously weakened the component.

(The 'inappropriately repaired or modified' check is to be applied to a wide range of systems and components throughout the vehicle.)

The car will fail if an Electronic Parking Brake warning lamp is illuminated to indicate a malfunction.

Electronic Stability Control
Checks of antilock brakes will be extended to include Electronic Stability Control if fitted. The tester will check for the presence and correct operation of the ESC malfunction warning light together with looking for obviously missing, excessively damaged or inappropriately repaired or modified components and electrical wiring, as well as an ESC switch missing, insecure or faulty.

Warning lights
As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

Headlight main beam warning light
Electronic power steering warning light
Brake fluid level warning light
Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light
Air bag warning light
Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light

Steering & suspension
The new test includes a check on the presence and correct function of the steering lock where fitted as standard.

Missing, or split/damaged dust covers on steering and suspension ball-joints will result in failure if they will allow dirt to enter the joint.

Power steering fluid level must be above the minimum level indicated on the reservoir.

Lighting
Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

Electrical wiring and battery
An insecure battery will be a reason for failure as will a battery that is leaking electrolyte.

Visible wiring that is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short will also result in a failure as will wires bared by damaged insulation.

Trailer/caravan electrical socket
There will be a basic security/damage check of 7-pin sockets,

13-pin sockets will be subject to a full electrical connectivity check and incorrectly connected or inoperative circuits will result in failure.

Tyres
Tyre pressure monitoring systems fitted to vehicles first registered after 1 January 2012 must be working correctly and not indicating a malfunction.

Supplementary restraints
The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.

A seatbelt pre-tensioner fitted as original equipment but missing or that has obviously deployed will be a reason for failure.

Seatbelt load limiters that are missing where fitted as standard or folding webbing type limiters that have obviously deployed are also reasons for failure.

The vehicle will also fail if an SRS malfunction light is missing, not working or indicating a fault.

Speedometer
The car will fail if a speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, inoperative, has a dial glass broken/missing or cannot be illuminated.

Seats
It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft.

Doors
A rear door that cannot be opened from the outside using the relevant control is a new reason for failure.

Doors must be easy to open and close – hinges, catches and pillars will be inspected.

Towbars
Inappropriate repair or modification to the towbar assembly will be a reason for failure if judged likely to affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle/trailer.

Exhaust
A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.

Fuel system
Damaged or chafed fuel pipes will result in failure.

Lots of stuff to think about... Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #109441 23rd Dec 2011 2:28pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Re: 2012 MOT Changes
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Somebody was asking about changes to the MOT for 2012, so I thought I'd post this summary that I found on the AA website:

Steering & suspension
The new test includes a check on the presence and correct function of the steering lock where fitted as standard.

best sort mine out then! tyres touch the radius arms!

LandRoverAnorak wrote:

Missing, or split/damaged dust covers on steering and suspension ball-joints will result in failure if they will allow dirt to enter the joint.

ball joint is split too - and its only 12mths old!

LandRoverAnorak wrote:

Exhaust
A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.

so all those non cat front down pipes..... Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #109491 23rd Dec 2011 4:19pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
jst wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

Steering & suspension

best sort mine out then! tyres touch the radius arms!

LandRoverAnorak wrote:

ball joint is split too - and its only 12mths old!

LandRoverAnorak wrote:

Exhaust

so all those non cat front down pipes.....

thinks thats most peoples issues james.

with regards to the cat apart from a visible check is there anyway they can tell the cat is there and woring on a diesel?
Post #109492 23rd Dec 2011 4:27pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
dont think so.

i wonder when DPF removal will result in a failure too? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #109494 23rd Dec 2011 4:35pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
a Censored for quite a few on here:

Exhaust
Post #109495 23rd Dec 2011 4:42pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

Steering & suspension
The new test includes a check on the presence and correct function of the steering lock where fitted as standard. ..

You will find, that is the mechanical lock on the steering system, not the lock to lock of the wheels

There is a certain Volvo model that rub on hard lock, and has been passed by both Vosa and Volvo as ok Shocked California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #109496 23rd Dec 2011 4:48pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Reading the MOT Inspection Manual, the section that "A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure is for Spark Ignition Engines

The 2012 manual is at http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%...Manual.pdf
Post #109537 23rd Dec 2011 6:20pm
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm sure I read somewhere that they were considering failing vehicles that had been remapped. Quite how they'd be able to do this for ever type of vehicle I don't know. Maybe that's why it's not been pursued.

Pete
Post #109541 23rd Dec 2011 6:33pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Europe is also pushing for measures to prevent power-train and other modifications on motorcycles as well.. W*****s.

A lot of the MOT changes are being driven by harmonisation with EU legislation (some of which appears to defy logic - i.e. 13 pin trailer sockets are to be electrically tested but 7 pin ones only checked for secure fitting)
Post #109544 23rd Dec 2011 6:55pm
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
XS Pete wrote:
I'm sure I read somewhere that they were considering failing vehicles that had been remapped. Quite how they'd be able to do this for ever type of vehicle I don't know. Maybe that's why it's not been pursued.

Pete

This kind of testing is well beyond the scope of an MOT station, and probably always will be.

I do think that the PM emissions limit should be tighter, as this will ensure tuners will take more care to keep smoke to a minimum.
Post #109548 23rd Dec 2011 7:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

Alive Tuning wrote:
XS Pete wrote:

Pete

This kind of testing is well beyond the scope of an MOT station, and probably always will be.

I do think that the PM emissions limit should be tighter, as this will ensure tuners will take more care to keep smoke to a minimum.

does raising the boost level help with the smoke
Post #109549 23rd Dec 2011 7:12pm
Alive Tuning

T1G UP wrote:

Yes it does, but there are limitations.
Post #109550 23rd Dec 2011 7:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

Alive Tuning wrote:
T1G UP wrote:

Yes it does, but there are limitations.

good to know. would a stage 2 be ok without a cat smoke wise
Post #109554 23rd Dec 2011 7:28pm
Alive Tuning

Very much so. Puma's generally run cleanly unless they're pushed hard. In that case we'll fit a bigger turbo and that cleans it up again. Mr. Green
Post #109557 23rd Dec 2011 7:37pm
Defender SVX

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
Looks like more business for the local ACP (any car passes) type of guys Rolling with laughter .

The UK MOT is a joke it only represents the vehicle for one day and is wide open for manipulation and deceit.
I personally am one for strict constant maintenance and check my things at regular intervals so I was well alarmed I took the SVX this year for it's first MOT to the cheapest local I could find (only 3000 mile from new) and guess what? It failed on rear shockers Rolling with laughter As it was due some warranty work at the stealers I reluctantly asked how much for an MOT from them? £29 was the reply and it passed straight away with the de cat and remap Whistle

Ive worked in garages and assisted with MOT and alot depends on who you are and the general look of the car which isn't IMHO fair therefore the new rules like the old rules will be only a problem to the stranger or honest guy! The scroat with the dodgy mondeo and his red diesel will be un affected again. Confused Formerly mao99999
16 Focus RS Nitrous Blue.
11 FFRR TDV8 Vouge SE Black Black.
08 DEFENDER SVX SOFT TOP (SUPERB)
08 DEFENDER 110 DCPU Stornoway grey (Overland Exploration Unit)
05 Fiesta ST 150 Van
04 Jaguar XKR 4.2 Supercharged V8
02 DEFENDER 90 TD5 (next years soft top project)
95 DEFENDER 110 CSW 300 TDi Phoenix black
95 DEFENDER 90 HT Monti Carlo blue COUNTY 300 TDi
67 109" SERIES 2a TUNED 200 TDI
64 DAVID BROWN 990 rat look
55 86" SERIES 1
Post #109578 23rd Dec 2011 9:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>