↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > SAAB gone bust! what you gona do now Zag!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
SAAB gone bust! what you gona do now Zag!
http://www.mindfulmoney.co.uk/9293/economi...wrong.html

can't see them coming back...sign of the times. Censored cars anyway!
Post #108696 20th Dec 2011 3:00pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
The problem is or was GM not wanting sell off it's "technology/inovation" part of SAAB cheap to the Chinese. Talks were going on and on without agreement.

Parts are still coming through and many parts are made outside of SAAB, quite a few parts are also common to other vehicles.

I've been a member of the SAAB owners club since I was 7 years old and have had about 20 SAABs but real SAABs ended with the 900 which was a long time ago as you know. GM didn't help the company at all, poor marketing, development etc it just became a big Vauxhall, it used to be a quirky, quality product incorporating some very good ideas, .

I buy them now as they are cheap. We bought our 05 SAAB for 4K when it was 4 years old (27K new!) and it will carry on for another 8-10 years until it bites the dust. Very cheap motoring Very Happy It's the last of the old 2.2 diesels which is better than the newer 1.9 and it was in production for maybe 10 -15 years so parts will be readily available. It soooo boring though!! We did the same with a 9000, bought for £3.5K and it 8 years ran it into the ground - that was a good fast quality motor. Even 50K Jags don't have that quality interior anymore.

Honker who works for Vauxhall can explain this better. Most cars are made from the same stuff whether it be Kia or RR. Seen the poor quality plastic in Discoveries...shocking. OK when it's cheap but you don't get value for money in these 30K plus cars in comparison.

Defenders are different they last forever have a variety of uses and are cool, RR's/Discoveries are just cars that will fade away when outdated, look at there older second hand values compared to Defenders. See what i did their Wink

Last edited by Zagato on 20th Dec 2011 3:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #108705 20th Dec 2011 3:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I'll do you a good deal on pre owned XF Zag Wink 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #108709 20th Dec 2011 3:38pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I'd pay for the engine but not the rest Thumbs Up

For me it's about value for money and I have to how ever bad and boring the SAAB 95 is it's a far better product then the Defender Rolling Eyes It's reliable, doesn't rust, doesn't leak, warms up when in traffic, still noisy Laughing all mod cons etc etc it;s just boring like most modern cars to me. Does the job and cheaply but you need enthusiasm in life Wink Still can't believe I paid 28K for a car when you don't need to spend more than 5K but when you can a lot off against tax, I made 10K from the sale of my Jag replica so it only really cost me 18K and it will last me a lifetime AND I love jumping into it every morning....why not!

Last edited by Zagato on 20th Dec 2011 4:05pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #108712 20th Dec 2011 3:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grockle

I've got a 2.7d engine at £16,950.00 which would come with a free body Wink 2.4 90 XS
Post #108713 20th Dec 2011 4:04pm
walfy

I think SAAB have bigger fish to fry than their auto division. They have more fingers in more pies than you would expect. THe car was only a small part of the empire. They have a few lucrative contracts with several Army's around the world UK being 1 of them 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #108715 20th Dec 2011 4:11pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Grockle wrote:
I've got a 2.7d engine at £16,950.00 which would come with a free body Wink

Laughing for that I would have one of these Very Happy

Or this an AC Ace replica

What I would really like for 15K is a Fergus Mosquito Aston Martin Ulster replica. Only 3-5 were built. I was offered first refusal on it a month ago but havn't got the money. I have thought about selling the Defender but can't do it Sad 15K is top money for it as well and i like to buy and sell with a bit of profit at least Wink
l

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Zagato on 20th Dec 2011 4:22pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #108716 20th Dec 2011 4:12pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Just like Alfa who got "GM'd" they went from innovative, stylish cars to dull Euroboxes.

Wife's uncle has a 9-3 TiD - it had the same engine and almost the same chassis as our old Astra 1.9CDTi 150 (estate), was slower, had worse spec, yet cost about 30% more new. No wonder they struggled.

A shame though. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #108718 20th Dec 2011 4:13pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
The early GM SAABs were terrible. The build quality and design was appalling. The early 93 suffered many things but cracked bulkheads were one of the worst. I said goodbye to SAAB along time before GM took over Rolling Eyes If they had gone to Porsche when they were interested it would be a different picture Sad
Post #108721 20th Dec 2011 4:26pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
A tribute to SAAB. Eric Carlsson and his wife Pat Moss (sister of Stirling!) Imagine that little 2 stroke winning RAC rallies over the likes of Porsche etc Wink

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #108722 20th Dec 2011 4:33pm
Honker

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Tis a great shame. They were still a good brand.

As to why all the deals fell through, well maybe its because in China , Buick have just sold their 3 millionth car with a joint venture with the SAIC ( Shanghai Automotive) and Wuling Motors ( I know sounds all Water Margin like).

The best seller is the Buick Regal which is based (80%) on the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia.

The current Saab range is mostly underpinned by Opel/Vauxhall product. The new 9-5 is a stretch wheelbase Insignia.

So if Saab was sold to another Chinese company (Pang Da and Youngman) they would take with it the intellectual property of the product currently used by Buick in their JV with SAIC. Bit of a snag there. Pro sell off people would point out that those 2 companys are not car manufacturers but distributor/coachbuilder, but they still have access to IP.

The Saab name reverts now back to Saab AB...and as walfy says they'll look to their other 'business.

Does mean the more interesting Saabs ( 99 turbos) suddenly become even more collectable.

Stu
Post #108725 20th Dec 2011 4:42pm
walfy

A bit of trivea. At a recent HR meeting with my HR boss she went through the SAAB history and evolutions. THe AB bit is just the Swedish version of "Ltd". Or that was how she explained it in 1/2 Swedish 1/2 English 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #108727 20th Dec 2011 4:47pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
SAAB - Svenska Aeroplan Aktie Bolaget - Swedish Aeroplane Corporation Thumbs Up

Unfortunately good SAAB 99 TURBO's are few and far between as they rusted so badly around the wheel arches etc Sad Fantastic car though, and great memories of being thrown around in the back seat as a kid when I was driven around a rally track in one Very Happy Nearly threw up on the beautiful red upholstery, there has never been a better interior Wink .

SAAB of course where the first people to develop the Turbo successfully for use in cars. The gearboxes couldn't really handle the power though and this lasted through to the 900 range Rolling Eyes
Post #108732 20th Dec 2011 5:18pm
Grockle

Zagato wrote:
Grockle wrote:
I've got a 2.7d engine at £16,950.00 which would come with a free body Wink

Laughing for that I would have one of these Very Happy

Or this an AC Ace replica

What I would really like for 15K is a Fergus Mosquito Aston Martin Ulster replica. Only 3-5 were built. I was offered first refusal on it a month ago but havn't got the money. I have thought about selling the Defender but can't do it Sad 15K is top money for it as well and i like to buy and sell with a bit of profit at least Wink
l

'ere Zag,the AC Ace replica (Accrington registration) in the photo isn't that owned by Fergus Mosquito's sister Bluebottle ?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2.4 90 XS
Post #108744 20th Dec 2011 5:52pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Your a beer ahead of me Grockle, give me ten minutes, I'll catch you up and we'll be talking the same language Whistle
Post #108749 20th Dec 2011 5:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>