↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My SVX in Action -The Video
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mhasting2004

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Looks like it was a good day out. TC definitely makes a big difference from what I could see and I've been impressed so far with my Puma over my old TD5. It drives like a diesel! Hated how easy it was to stall the old girl.

Question: On the last video where you were coming down the hill what gear where you in? I ask as it seems you were riding the clutch and brake or was this the dreaded surge some talk about? I've seen another video on youtube from SA that blames the throtlle override (but honestly IMO that video is more about the fact he cross axles it going down not TC stuffing up) and am curious what your experiance was.

I was taught 2nd low both feet on the floor for steep decents and only hit the gas if you loose traction.

Cheers

Mark
Post #9984 21st Apr 2009 4:19am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
mhasting2004 wrote:
Looks like it was a good day out. TC definitely makes a big difference from what I could see and I've been impressed so far with my Puma over my old TD5. It drives like a diesel! Hated how easy it was to stall the old girl.

Question: On the last video where you were coming down the hill what gear where you in? I ask as it seems you were riding the clutch and brake or was this the dreaded surge some talk about? I've seen another video on youtube from SA that blames the throtlle override (but honestly IMO that video is more about the fact he cross axles it going down not TC stuffing up) and am curious what your experiance was.

I was taught 2nd low both feet on the floor for steep decents and only hit the gas if you loose traction.

Cheers

Mark

I met the guy that you watched on YouTube by chance the other day (he lives in the Cape) and discussed his reaction to the puma. He has a big L.Cruiser in the drive and a real "know it all attitude." I wouldn't make much of his opinion. Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #9985 21st Apr 2009 6:29am
mhasting2004

That was pretty much my first impression also CapeLandy. Its pretty obvious what actually is happening if you watch how much the trucks struggle at the same point going up. The Cruiser had cross axle diff locks and thats the only reason IMHO that it did not do exactly the same thing as the Puma. TC is reactive and cross axling going down hill is beyond what it can handle.

I've done exactly the same thing as him in my old (non TC) TD5 and its only the ground effects suction caused by the rapid contraction of the sphincter that kept me from rolling into a tree (that and touching the brakes Smile Rolling with laughter )

I'll test mine out this weekend and see how she goes on the steep loose stuff.

Cheers
Post #9986 21st Apr 2009 8:10am
kljw

Scotland 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Auto Santorini Black
mhasting2004
i have had the svx converted to an auto box, for reason that i am parcial paraplegic, so not riding the clutch, but holding the car on the brake due to the idle jack trying to make the svx run away with its self. Cheers
keith
puer claudius
Post #9989 21st Apr 2009 8:55am
mhasting2004

Fair enough Keith.

Makes sense now as auto boxes are great for everything except trying to go slow down hill. I still remember the faces on the guys driving V8 auto discos during a training course, something like this.... Shocked ! Even with the aircon on and anything else to get some load on the engine they would shoot off down hill alot faster than us with a gearbox.

Cheers

Mark
Post #9994 21st Apr 2009 9:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12