↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My New Defender (L663) > D240 110 v D250 90…
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

D240 110 v D250 90…
My D250 90 HSE is 3 months old today so how’s it fairing compared to the D240 110 First Edition I had before it?

Well…………. By this stage in its life the D240 had been into the workshop 3 times for several days at a time to try and locate the source of a leak in the offside rear passenger door onto the seats. There were another 12 visits to fix a leaking front screen, numerous A and B pillar rattles and cure rain water marking on the seats in wet weather. Then there was the 3 months it got left in the dealer’s back yard waiting for a new offside rear quarter panel to replace one I severely bent and then found they were on back order!
The 90 has has one visit to the dealers already, lasted about 10 minutes and was collect the roof crossbars I ordered. OK it should have gone in to have the missing privacy glass I ordered but was not on the car when it arrived. In the end I took a refund and have lived without gangsta glass in the rear. The back does get noticeably hotter on a sunny day than I recall the 110 getting with the privacy glass fitted but I’ve. Used the remote control “pre-conditioning” on the very few days that I have left the car parked out in the sun away from home. The 90’s cooled seats have been getting good use. I’m not sure that the PVC covered seats (yes I know they are called something stupid but they are vinyl in reality) are so comfortable as the half leather of the 1st edition on hot days and after a 3 hour drive I got numb bum cheeks in the 90 that I never had in any previous cars driven for a similar non-stop time.
The small boot hasn’t been an issue for me but the inability to fold the rear seats flat is a poor “feature” - my electric Mini has a bigger and more practical boot and a totally flat boot floor when the rear seat are folded. However………… the Mini’s back seats are unusable even when they are up as there is next to no leg room for anyone bigger than a baby seat user whereas the 90’s rear seats have acres of leg room if you can contort enough to get into the rear! Oddly I had two passengers recently when helping to set up an off-road “orienteering” run, one a young lad sat in the front to jump out to put the markers in the ground and the other was a lady who uses a walking stick to get around and who’s husband drives a TD5 90. I was amazed that she got into the back not problem at all despite a disabled leg. The seat motors though are deadly slow - in fact no faster than I recollect from the Evoque Coupe I had, don’t `lR ever learn from passed mistakes?
The 90 I find doesn’t feel as “planted” on the road as the 110 - whether it is because mine has the optional air suspension or it’s the shorter wheelbase I don’t know, also when I first had the 90 it took me a couple of weeks ownership to stop the feeling of car sickness that I have never had in any other car, I’m over that now.
The car has used about 3mm of the dipstick’s length of oil - the D240 never used a drop between oil changes. This maybe because I will admit to driving the D250 a fair bit harder on road than I drove the D240, the silky smooth engine and the bags of additional torque of the D250 over the D250 make it great fun to drive really quite fast - it can more than keep up with the traffic in the outside lane GP on the motorway!
I do miss the vast (but rarely used) interior of the 110 5 seater especially the huge under floor space in the boot where I could keep all my off-road recovery gear permanently in the car out of sight, it took a fair bit of hunting to find some storage crates small enough to fit into the boot of the 90 but B&Q had some that just fit.
I don’t feel short-changed buying the 90 after the 110 even though it was in the end £12,000 more than I paid for the 110 with less standard kit but I don’t like the colour body paint treatment on lower panel trims of the XS that would have got me most of the First Edition goodies in a 90.
So really I’m back to the days of when my 1996 TDi300 90 was basically a toy for off road use most of the time (and for trips more than 100 miles for which the Mini isn’t great) and the Mini gets used as my (as of today ) old age pensioners daily runner that in the last month has cost exactly £3.48 for paid for electricity to cover 350 miles, all the rest having been fed in from my solar panels. Over the same period I’ve covered similar miles in the 90 but they have included 4 days off-road and cost a lot more for fuel!
In a month I’m off for a whole day off-road in a Munro EV………….. pity it’s such a monster but I’m sure that it will be great fun seeing how much electricity it burns through in a day out on the hills!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #997354 24th Jun 2023 10:33am
Tim in Scotland

Here’s my B&Q storage system in the boot - unfortunately I cannot now mount my tailgate picnic table as there is next to no clearance with the boxes when the door is closed……. Maybe if I replace the 90 in the future I should go for a commercial or H/T to get the boot space and a flat boot floor.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #997360 24th Jun 2023 11:22am
Oswiperus

United Kingdom 
Agree with you there about the gloss black lower plastic trim on the X Dynamic, I thought I was the only person who doesn't like it! I went for the SE for that reason. 110 D300 SE Tasman blue
Post #997467 25th Jun 2023 1:24pm
J77

Scotland 
I’ve had all 3 and the gloss black trim ain’t too bad, it’s holding up pretty well so far.

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #997481 25th Jun 2023 5:33pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Your new 90 looks great, l've got a 2022 90 Commercial in basic specification (coil springs, cloth seats, steel wheels)
And even in this specification it's a lovely vehicle. l agree the D250 engine is an absolute honey, even when towing the caravan it's never left wanting for power.

l do have a few options such as the leather steering wheel, centre console, cold weather pack etc but l had to un-tick a few options when LR increased the price by £4,000.
l've since fitted side steps, they are pretty much essential.

Click image to enlarge
Post #998198 1st Jul 2023 6:08pm
kenzle8a

If Munro sold it as a chassis without the body so you could at least graft a Landy onto it, I think it would be a winner, as it stands it just puts me of my dinner. I know form and function and all that, but it really is a pigs ear of a dogs breakfast of a design.
Post #998200 1st Jul 2023 6:19pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
What, the new Defender?

l think the side profile is great, rear is good and front less so (if you're comparing the design to the old version)
l guess it's not for everyone. There's always the lneos Grenadier which is much more like the old Defender.
l love the look of the Grenadier, but sadly it's not been certified as a Commercial Vehicle with the HMRC so l couldn't put it through my business.

Putting the Defender through my LTD Company has saved me £14,000 in tax.

Last edited by lightning on 2nd Jul 2023 3:59pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #998269 2nd Jul 2023 2:59pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
He’s talking about the Munro EV mentioned a few posts above.
Post #998271 2nd Jul 2023 3:03pm
kenzle8a

Re: D240 110 v D250 90…
Tim in Scotland wrote:

Click image to enlarge

I was referring to that ^ it’s quite something to make something look that awful. I’m quite a fan of the new Defender.
Post #998272 2nd Jul 2023 3:06pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Ah, so sorry

Not sure l like that vehicle either, but there will be those that do. My first impression is that it needs bigger wheels, those look lost in the arches.
Post #998282 2nd Jul 2023 3:58pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Think I'd rather wait for the Ibex EV.

The Ibex isn't a looker but the Munro version looks like it's hit every branch of the ugly tree on it's way down

https://www.ibexvehicles.com/techspecs/ 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #998350 3rd Jul 2023 10:17am
Tim in Scotland

I believe that the Munro isn’t aimed at the private/ family buyer but more at commercial users whose old style Defenders are now reaching the end of their serviceable life and who need to buy electric for corporate reasons - they aren’t too worried about what it looks like but more that it can do what an old Defender can do but as an EV. It also appears that the various light pick-ups that the utilities have been buying aren’t up to the use that the utility companies give them. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #998355 3rd Jul 2023 11:17am
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
Tim,

I would be interested on your thoughts on the Munroe.

Like you say people who need it won't care what it looks like. Easy to fix if you bash a panel.

Hope they can meet demand.
Post #999886 13th Jul 2023 10:42am
Tim in Scotland

I’ll put something in the “Off Topic” section after the day out with the guys from Munro at the end of the month Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #999906 13th Jul 2023 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1