↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > French toll tags?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Norfolk-n-chance

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
So despite the best efforts of our wonderful ( Shocked ) Royal Mail, the Fulli tag has arrived, I was quite surprised by how small it is (I’ve heard that before somewhere..)
Anyway, they emailed a couple of days later and asked for a €1 payment and apparently all is good to go.
It came with 2 brackets to swap cars and the app seems quite clear and easy to use.

Roll on the holiday now! Just got a long list of jobs now, make a new cover and drawer for the “boot” fit seat rail extenders, make a more comfy lid for the cubby……
Ho hum, keeps me out of trouble I suppose! “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #995539 8th Jun 2023 8:32am
kestrel

Switzerland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Blenheim Silver
I travel once per year from Switzerland to Southern France and since last year I got the
https://www.bipandgo.com/en/
tag.
The nice thing is that they offer the possibility to only pay when using the the tag.

Last edited by kestrel on 1st Mar 2024 8:04am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1023074 31st Jan 2024 8:01am
Norfolk-n-chance

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Morning Kestrel!
Welcome to the forum!

I should have posted an update to this last year.
So the Fulli tag arrived and like a happy chap I set off with wife and dog from Norfolk to the Costa Brava.
“Don’t worry love” says I, “ this year I have done something wonderous, so you won’t have to be hanging out of the defender window to try and grab that little ticket anymore!”
(Brownie points earned! Wink )
Once we arrived at our first toll, I tapped her on the knee and said “sit tight love, watch this baby take all the stress out of it” and tapped the Fulli tag fixed to the windscreen exactly as the instructions.
Our turn comes and……
Nothing….
In a panic I snatch the tag off the windscreen mount and tell her to hold it out of the window her side to mimic a left drive car…
Nothing…
So, out of the window she goes to grab the ticket.
When we get to the payment point an hour or so later I assure her everything will be fine, we’ve got a tag it’ll work.
It didn’t..
Holding the tag up, out of the window, wave it about, nothing. So I get out and walk around to the pay machine and press the button. We’ve got a tag but it doesn’t work I tell the helpful voice.
“It is not functioning monsieur, you will have to contact the company”
Thus ensues a frantic scramble for a credit card to use, all the while being hooted at by irate French drivers who assume the stupid English have done it wrong.
She finds my credit card, great, slap it on the pad, nothing, not working. Try the Amex, doesn’t work, they don’t take it, of course not, no one does!
Try Apple Pay using the same credit card that wouldn’t work a moment ago, and.. green light!

Anyway, I contacted Fulli who didn’t get back to me until after we were sitting back at home in Norfolk! And they came up with a load of crap about I have to complete a direct debit instruction and send it to my bank before the tag will work.
They’d already had money from my bank otherwise I wouldn’t have the tag in the car. I also told them that the direct debit form they asked me to submit to my bank must be submitted by them, not me.
Let’s just say we’ve parted company.

But, I’ve now found out that Bip&Go have an account that you can pay for with your Amex (someone does take it) which I think makes them the only French toll company to accept a credit card for their tag.

Hopefully this will help anyone else going this year Thumbs Up “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #1023084 31st Jan 2024 10:20am
Moo

Ukraine 
I've been using Emovis for years travelling through France when we had our French home. Simple and Painless. Thumbs Up

As for Amex, we live on it as a family - points mean prizes Very Happy I never really have many issues using it when I'm travelling. I get the odd one but not many. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1023089 31st Jan 2024 11:00am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Hate to say it, but I think you are overthinking the whole toll thing. Technology is not your savior, it is just a trick to get you hooked and pay more. Forget becoming a member of any 'club' that provides you convenience. Less is more. Just pay with your card, its really not that big a delay and it means something less to keep track off.

I use Revolut for all my banking (yes you can sign up online in the UK too). You just get a debit card and it works typically everywhere, or as you say use your own bank card with a phone.

I lived in places where you have to take a tag because there is no other option, but at least mostly you can just fly by at 60mph, in France you still need to stop for that darn gate to open so I don't really see the benefit and i live in France.
Post #1023102 31st Jan 2024 2:45pm
Moo

Ukraine 
I find its just less hassle in a right hand drive car to have a tag, particularly when driving on my own. It also smooths things out and means less stop starting and queuing.

The tag costs about £10 a year and the toll is collected by direct debit. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1023104 31st Jan 2024 2:53pm
pistonfields

Switzerland 
oh I never thought about the hassle RHD cars experience with toll booths here in Europe. Laughing
Post #1023106 31st Jan 2024 3:10pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I use Emovis, it's been faultless for many years. I wouldn't be without it for motorway toll travel in France.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1023111 31st Jan 2024 4:07pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I'm with Texas, before we moved here I would use change on the return leg back to the UK to get rid of it and now we use a card - you'd be surprised though how many times a Defender and trailer would get flagged & charged as a lorry at huge cost, press the button, tell them your problem and it was adjusted there and then before payment - I guess they look at CCTV from somewhere as there is rarely any sign of humans in the booths.

Keith
Post #1023121 31st Jan 2024 5:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12