↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2007 Puma Fuse 30 Keeps Blowing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jcw

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
2007 Puma Fuse 30 Keeps Blowing
I’m looking for some help with an electrical issue - fuse 30 (10A) blows instantly each time a new fuse is inserted.

I’m assuming a short somewhere, so have identified the load side of the fuse holder and checked resistance to ground (using the door check strap bolt) which hovers around 06.5 with the multimeter on the 200 setting.

I’ve then unplugged the clocks, radio, clock & both interior lights in turn and whilst the resistance reading fluctuates slightly, I’m not seeing a noticeably large increase which I believe would indicate the faulty circuit?

Happy to be corrected if this test approach is not correct

Is there a way to test for a short from the other end, i.e. at each connector?

Everything else not related to fuse 30 is working as it should, all switches / controls / engine / central locking etc.

Any suggestions very much appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #994827 2nd Jun 2023 10:51am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
I had similar and it turned out it was as the previous owner had spliced the CB off of the interior light... The Constant live was touching one of the other connectors (assuming earth via the metal mounting bracket) and causing a fuse to blow as soon as inserted.

Removed the CB and all of the spliced wiring and the problem went away, as all of the connections using the OEM loom are concealed in a plastic connector.
Post #994831 2nd Jun 2023 11:40am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
You've done what I'd advise first and removed the components on the circuit. Sounds like the loom has rubbed or been damaged and shorted somewhere Sad

One place to check before stripping down further is to remove the right hand A pillar cover and check the loom hasn't been caught by one of the screws.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #994832 2nd Jun 2023 11:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jcw

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Thanks both - the wiring & connectors to both interior lights look to be untouched in terms of any butchery and I have the drivers A pillar off and there’s no obvious damage from the two screws.

Further testing and I need to sense check something - there’s continuity between the earth and + feed wire at both interior lights and the radio power connectors (unplugged) which, given the fuse is removed, I’d not expect? (confirming the short) - I haven’t tested the clocks or clock as there’s no easy way to access the pins.

As it’s on at least three of the components that use this fuse, would this suggest any short is before the loom separates and indicate where I should start looking?

Hope that makes sense!
Post #994833 2nd Jun 2023 12:14pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Your meter will pick up a short on any branch after the fuse, as all the branches are connected together electrically.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #994850 2nd Jun 2023 2:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Millerdark

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
Not sure if you have checked the Interior Light Courtesy Door Switches. My drivers door switch cable was the cause for my fuse blowing.
Post #997562 26th Jun 2023 12:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1