Home > For Sale & Wanted > [For Sale] 110 Td5 Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
[For Sale] 110 Td5 Station Wagon
So have my Td5 110 SW up for sale.

I built this back in 2010, (4th one I've built now) it was going to be my "forever car", but as always, things change and I need a vehicle more suited for work - longer distances travelling and motorway work, plus needs to be LEZ compliant for the towns/cities that are going that way.

Chassis:
It's built upon a new old stock ex military armoured chassis. ex Snatch or NI patrol vehicle. I had to cut off the under body support bars but all the rest of the plating is there, and the bracings around the rear spring mounts and outriggers.
It is heavy.... After I got it galvanised it weighted in at 274 KG. but doesn't twist!
The "donor" vehicle, eventhough the chassis was rotten, was a 1992 "J", so this is now what my 110 shows, eventhough I built it as a 2005 spec with the updated dashboard.
Rear military bumperettes are fitted, along with a Dixon Bate adjustable height towbar, with a slider and 50mm ball.

Bodywork:
The body panels came from a couple of sources; an abandoned 110 project that was parked in Allisports old yard (middle doors were brand new), and IRB who sourced me the bulkhead, engine and wings.
All the panels (apart from the bulkhead) were shotblasted then a bare metal respray was done in metallic Epsom green. Initially it looked absolutely perfect but I guess the bodyshop didn't prep that well, as there's a fair bit of bubbling on the edges and under the rear cappings, which really lets it down.
Rear tub and B pillars came off of a new Td5 from that chap in Wallingford that has lots of ex factory parts, as were like brand new.

The B pillars were also blasted and galvanised, so there's no worry there of things going wrong.
It has a P&P full external cage, with internal passenger hoop.
There are also galvanised box section side sills, with standard LR drop down steps.
A Mantec rear wheel carrier is also fitted.
Rear windows and safari door (later Td5 type with the rubber glass seal) have got tinted film on, to keep prying eyes out.
The roof panel is the early external ribbed type which I quite liked as a nod to the original donor vehicle, with the factory sunroof (twisty knob type)
A genuine LR full height cargo/dog guard is fitted behind the rear passenger seats.

After 13 years and 80k ish miles of general use and laning, the bodywork isn't pristene. certainly not shabby or a wreck, but would need some TLC if you wanted it to be a show vehicle.

Service:
Last month it had a visit to Dan's Garage/Wrex racing, where an Ashcroft recon R380 was installed (with the HD 5th gear bearing), new clutch, rear crank seal, the Gwynn Lewis discovery drop arm conversion, new ball joints, front pads and a full service.
It also has already HD steering arms.
I fitted a new 110N battery this week and also a brand new Delco MAF sensor as it had started smoking a bit and was down on power. Back up to full speed again now!
Talking of power, it also has an IRB 190BHP ECU tune along with a VGT turbo and Allisport boost box and Allisport full width intercooler.
standard Td5 exhaust is fitted (I did have a "sports" V8 stainless one grafted on there for a while, but got fed up with the droning. Once I swapped back to the factory Td5 unit I noticed no difference in performance at all!)
A reeconditioned PAS box was fitted about 5 years back (I have a folder crammed with every invoice/receipt since I built it, plus hundreds of photographs during and since the build)

Suspension/Axles/drivetrain:
Suspension is a mix of military "Wolf" XD rear springs, and standard 110 front springs along with Old Man Emu nitrocharger dampers all round, plus OME steering damper.
Factory antiroll bars fitted front & back
I did have a Husky winch fitted (keeping that for my next vehicle) and as a result I had HD front springs (AKA 90 standard rears) fitted. I'll include these in the sale should the future owner want to fit a winch... the handling was a bit "strange" with HD fronts and no extra weight up front.
Mantec camel trophy spec Dural steeting guard up front to protect the steering rods.

There is an ARB RD56 air locker in the front axle (standard shafts and CV's though) all plumbed into the ARB compressor and dash switches.
when I built it I had a Salisbury rear axle which I got an ARB locker fitted to, but after a few years it started whining a bit, so I sold it and fitted a later Td5/Puma axle with the intention of throwing in a rear locker, but it never came to be, so the air pipe is there above the axle ready to fit.
One pice rear halfshafts are also fitted.
It's sitting on factory Boost alloys with 235/85/16 Continental CC tyres, in very good condition. Also there are 2 unmounted tyres of the same which are 99.9% new.
As mentioned Dan's garage have just installed the Ashcroft recon gearbox which is settling in nicely and very quiet! I also fitted an ex discovery 1.2:1 transferbox some time back; along with the IRB190 tune makes the vehicle fly along quite nicely.

I also fitted 1 piece rear halfshafts about 2 years back. I went for Britpart as people seemed to consider them to be OK... and so far they're right! no issues at all, and a lot less backlash.

Electrical:
As I'm a service engineer/electrician I kind of went overboard with the electrics. I did have a carPC installed running memory map and all other stuff, but this got superceded by a basic smart phone! so all that was removed but the cables are still in place. Up in the rear roof section I have a custom built "speaker box" housing a pair of old skool 6x9 speakers running off of the head unit (4 x 50w) In this speaker box Is where I also had the carPC bookshelf PC fitted, so one could easily be refitted, or the speaker box totally removing (which would need a new headlining as I stupidly shortened the headlining to fit the box)
The stereo I have moved to the cubby box in NAS defender style, to free up the dashboard (the ARB switches are in a panel where the stereo would normally fit), although none of the original dash wiring was butchered so it could be refitted back into the dash should you so wish.
A small second fuse box is fitted under the drivers seat that feeds the stereo/carPC/rear amps/work lights/front spots.
When I removed the winch, i took the KC daylighters off which are starting to show signs of rust, but they just plug into a custom loom I made, so a new set of lights can easily be refitted just by plugging in. (side note: KC offer a 23 year warranty, I've sent a few sets back and received brand new spotlights back, the only downside is you need to send them to the USA... still cheap for a new set of KC's though!)
NAS/wolf type larger lights (indicator/reverse/fog/sidelights) are fitted all round, and LED headlight bulbs installed along with a relay loom in the steering column shroud to bypass the poor quality headlight switch.
Heated front screen and wingmirrors are also fitted with the factory timer and dash switch.
Small LED work lights are fitted to the rear of the rollcage, switchable on the dash from on/off/auto (to come on with reverse gear)
I did have a CB fitted. Again removed but the wiring is all in place.
I fitted CDL to all 5 doors connected to a switch on the dash to lock/unlock. I didn't really want it running off of the 10AS alarm unit as sometimes I wanted to have the doors locked (or not) independantly of of the alarm.
Also mounted in the rear speaker box is a 12v Hella type power socket for whatever you might want to run, plus a switched feed (switch is there in the panel) as I was intending to fit some more interior lighting.

All of the removed items will be offered FoC should the new owner want them. I just thought that "less is more" and a less cluttered vehicle would be more appealing to sell.

the MoT runs out in December, but I'll gladly put 12 months on it for any prospeective buyer.

Bad points:
The bodywork as I mentioned. Has some laning scrapes in the paint. A deep polish /may/ remove them but I've never bothered. And the bubbling around the edges and windscreen frame.
Front passenger door is getting rusty on the bottom of the frame. If you slam it hard you sometimes get bits of rust fall off so that will need looking at. Drivers door has surface rust on the bottom but appears to be firm & solid at the moment.
I fitted new type Td5/Puma sliding windows in the back to replace the very leaking old type. Of course these are sealed in (I used tigerseal) but used a bit much, and of course trying to wipe it off wasn't the neatest so there's a bit of "smearage"... is that even a word lol? around the frames.

Rollcage has a few scratches that have taken the powder coat off. I touched the scars up with a thin brush and black paint to keep the rust at bay, which seems to have worked.

I did have light guards front & rear, but since removed (genuine LR type fold down). So there's nutserts where the fixing were. I have put M6 bolts back into said inserts with coppaslip, but obviously they stand out. I have the rear guards still in the box of "removed stuff" as they are a bit tatty, but will be included in the sale of course.

Rear Td5 type door had a bit of rust comning out from under the glass rubber

Where I cut the headlining to fit the inner cage hoop fixings I wasn't that neat with the stanly knife. I think a rubber/plastic cap thing is available to fit around the cage (bit like you use on hearing radiator pipes to look neat)

Heated front screen has a lot of non working wires in it. That started happening almost as soon as I installed it, and it is a genuine Pilkington one. what a waste of money.

Engine has the usual few leaks. some weeping around the front timing chain and around the FPR at the back.

Without going through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb I think that's the worst of it. But I'd rather be up front about the condition of it.

I will be giving it a good clean this weekend (and it's going back into the workshop on Monday as the crank seal is now leaking since I had the gearbox & clutch done) so will update this with better interior and exterior pictures showing everything.
On that note I guess it won't be back on my drive until mid week/next weekend, depending on Wrex's workload, but I thought I'd start getting it "out there"

Looking for a ballpark figure of £15,000 but as always, open to offers.

Thanks for looking. Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by diesel_jim on 13th Jul 2023 6:29pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #993314 19th May 2023 6:19pm
gcc130

Tidy bumper Very Happy
Goog luck with the sale👍
Post #993315 19th May 2023 6:35pm
diesel_jim

It's the bumper that really sets it off Rolling with laughter Bow down
Post #993316 19th May 2023 6:42pm
diesel_jim

I quickly grabbed a few interior shots this morning as I dropped it off at Wrex racing. As I mentioned above, I still need to give it a good clean and polish.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by diesel_jim on 14th Jul 2023 7:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #993453 21st May 2023 6:35am
rusty_wingnut

Has it got a chassis number stamped?
Post #993597 22nd May 2023 10:29am
diesel_jim

No, I never bothered to stamp the new chassis with it.

VIN plate is on the brake servo as per the norm.
Post #993598 22nd May 2023 10:33am
diesel_jim

Has now had the crank seal changed again, genuine part this time.

And a new exhaust downpipe and new starter which decided to die when the 110 was up on the ramps Rolling Eyes Laughing
Post #994093 26th May 2023 8:13am
Jon w

Wales 1991 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Epsom Green
This is a hell of a 110 for the money, which has been well thought out and maintained. Its a shame your selling but someone will get a bargain.

Unfortunately I haven't got the funds or the need for a 110 at the moment. Unless you would take a fully galv tdi 90 and a Series 2 V8 as a swap Laughing
Post #994158 26th May 2023 6:43pm
diesel_jim

Thanks Jon for the kind words.

A 2020~2022 HiLux double cab would do as a swap Cool (or PX)
Post #994159 26th May 2023 6:54pm
diesel_jim

So this weekend I had time to give it a thorough clean. Seats out, floors rubbers all out and scrubbed, back cleaned.
Started polishing the bodywork, yet to finish that, but it has come up quite nice now. Gave some of the exposed things (side steps, towbar etc) a light lick of paint also.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And the removed items that are included in the sale (springs are the HD fronts, as I've fitted standards back on since removing the winch)

Click image to enlarge

Just to clarify, in the past 6 weeks it has had:

Ashcroft R380, with the HD 5th gear bearing.
New clutch
new crank rear seal
New front pads
Gwynn Lewis Discovery drop arm conversion
new TRE's all round
Full service by Wrex racing
New N110 battery
New exhaust downpipe (the flexi coupling failed last week)
New Starter motor (which died unexpectidly on the ramp whilst they were doing the crank seal!)
New MAF sensor.

As always, open to sensible offers.

Last edited by diesel_jim on 31st May 2023 7:42am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #994543 30th May 2023 6:43pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Good luck with the sale, looks like a very usable 110 Thumbs Up BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #994582 31st May 2023 6:24am
diesel_jim

Thanks, yes I think it is quite usable.A good base to make an overlander or something "extreme", the cage being good for a RTT and the chassis is never going to rot, or bend Laughing
Post #994584 31st May 2023 7:36am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i recommended buying a vehicle Jamie rebuilt (Ex Mod 90 with a td5 engine) to a friend a few years back. he ran it for a year then bought a new 2.2 as the bug had bitten. sold it to another mate, prob 4 or 5 years ago now and hes still got it, everything is as Jamie put it together, its been super reliable and run like a dream. 90 is used regularly off road and all works as it should and Jamie intended.

i dont have the need for another 110 - but if i was looking i would seriously consider this one. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #994604 31st May 2023 9:17am
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Great colour 👍

Jim
Post #994615 31st May 2023 10:55am
Steeplearningcurve

England 
You are clearly notorious here but as a new joiner I wondered where you are based?
Post #995475 7th Jun 2023 5:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>