↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Some articles, not complimentary to EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Some articles, not complimentary to EV's
Here are two articles that do not paint EV's in a positive light. Whether there is an agenda here or not I do not know but there are some salient points.
https://issuesinsights.com/2023/03/28/evs-...9i1pA7ID-Q
https://issuesinsights.com/2023/03/02/its-...cSk2DPJTZY 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #994428 29th May 2023 8:03pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Mhhh there might be a truth in what is written, but then the way it is written completely discredits it.

The only thing I learned is that the internet is full of people shouting
Post #994440 30th May 2023 3:49am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/issues-insights/

Right wing, poor fact-check score.
But then everything you read has a bias, it's a minefield.
Post #994495 30th May 2023 1:44pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Interesting article Spudfan.

An article i read a couple of weeks ago was from the US and involved a Rivian pickup that had been hit in the rear quarter. The bill was $45k. The article also showed pictures of the disassembly.

When TFL on YouTube had an early Tesla, the accident they had was originally quoted at $2k, but ended up at $10k.

Chile that is the home of the driest desert in the world is using 65% of its drinking water for the mining of lithium and the Chinese there are having battles with local cartels due to the money involved.

There has also already been a similar article in the UK saying that insurers were writing off EV's because it was cheaper than risking a car going back to the owner and risking a thermal runaway.

As well as articles saying that they are struggling to sell them on the 2nd hand market, even when discounted.

And as soon as those London ULEZ cameras get switched over to pay by mile (that was how they were specced prior to any consultation) even those smug drivers will be up in arms.

On another matter Tesla's seem to be the EV of choice for the local bell ends testing the acceleration in 30 areas around here.
Post #994529 30th May 2023 6:09pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I don't think there's anything we didn't already know in the articles but none of it will influence the sycophantic acolytes of Saint Elon, arguably the most successful cult leader of recent years.
Post #994547 30th May 2023 8:02pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Tesla is only in business because of huge US government subsidies and are now forced to slash new vehicle prices and to cut costs by reducing vehicles to the (minority) right hand drive market.

I can only assume that the US government are getting a kick back on space technology to NASA.

There was an article i read from the US that went along the lines of asking the question if Elon welds too much power and leading the US in a direction that is not sustainable, just for his own ego.

Having been lucky enough to do three road trips in the US (one in Minnesota in the winter) there is no way i would ever consider an EV. Life is too short, towns are too far apart and when the weather turns its it can be brutal.
Post #994552 30th May 2023 9:20pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Wonder how this will end up?
https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/volks...&ei=40 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #995567 8th Jun 2023 12:18pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Volkswagen ID bus 'reportedly' exploded. No investigation done, not known if related to electric system. Caught fire days later so all evidence is gone. They can't even get any pictures clearly.

Nobody knows anything and nothing more can be expected. I would not think petrol/diesel cars are inherently more safe than Electric cars. So what is this article trying to tell us?

Nowadays you can start to question if these articles are even written by humans.

ChatGPT: took 10 seconds (this is absolutely amazingly scary):

Write a short news article about an electric vehicle fire

ChatGPT:

Title: Electric Vehicle Fire Raises Concerns over Safety

Date: June 8, 2023

In a shocking incident yesterday, an electric vehicle (EV) caught fire in a suburban neighborhood, highlighting concerns about the safety of electric cars. The incident, which occurred on Main Street, resulted in significant damage to the vehicle and nearby property, but fortunately, no injuries were reported.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing smoke billowing out from under the hood of the EV before flames quickly engulfed the vehicle. Local firefighters were alerted to the scene and managed to contain the fire, preventing it from spreading to neighboring properties. However, the incident left the EV completely charred and significantly damaged nearby parked cars.

Authorities are currently investigating the cause of the fire, with early indications suggesting that it may have been due to a malfunction in the vehicle's battery system. Electric vehicles rely on high-capacity lithium-ion batteries, which, while generally safe, can pose a fire risk if damaged or improperly handled.

Although EV fires are relatively rare compared to traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle fires, the incident has reignited concerns about the safety of electric vehicles and the measures in place to prevent such incidents from occurring.

The EV manufacturer, in a statement issued shortly after the incident, expressed their commitment to safety and stated that they are working closely with investigators to determine the cause of the fire. They emphasized that incidents like these are exceptionally rare and that electric vehicles are subject to rigorous safety testing and regulatory standards.

Industry experts have also stressed that EV fires should be viewed in perspective, considering the millions of electric vehicles on the roads worldwide. They point out that traditional gasoline-powered vehicles have their fair share of fire incidents as well.

Nevertheless, this incident serves as a reminder of the need for continuous improvement in electric vehicle safety technology. Manufacturers and regulatory bodies must work hand in hand to ensure that EVs undergo comprehensive safety checks and that appropriate safety measures, such as advanced battery management systems and robust fire suppression systems, are in place.

As electric vehicles continue to gain popularity due to their environmental benefits and increasing affordability, it is crucial for stakeholders to address safety concerns promptly and transparently. Only by doing so can we build public trust and confidence in electric vehicles, fostering their wider adoption as a sustainable mode of transportation.

Authorities are expected to release a detailed report on the incident in the coming weeks, shedding further light on the cause of the fire and any potential preventive measures that can be implemented to enhance electric vehicle safety.
Post #995597 8th Jun 2023 3:59pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
...but none of it will influence the sycophantic acolytes of Saint Elon

I shan't take offence because I went from 1 Tesla to 2 Landies (a Disco 5 and a Defender) in the space of 12 months... Also, you are helpful Very Happy
Post #995608 8th Jun 2023 4:34pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thank you Very Happy

I am not saying that EVs are bad and all who think they are great are sycophantic Musk groupies, only that those who fanatically close their minds to the possibility of any alternatives could usefully be more broadminded. There is space for non-electric vehicles in a future cleaner world and to progress humanity has to be more tolerant of those with different views.

No-one who participates in this fine forum could be blinkered enough to fit my Musk-junkie classification.
Post #995616 8th Jun 2023 5:32pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
To be fair, my Tesla was an accident. I ordered it after reading my car in for a brand new Disco Sport only for the lead time to become 2 years… they were the only thing at the time without a ridiculous lead time.

I agree that there have to be other alternatives though. We tried LPG before, and in fact Dacia still sell vehicles that will use is. There is electric, there is hydrogen, there are likely numerous other green solutions not yet discovered.

I feel that electric will be a bit like LPG was, just on a larger scale. It will lose momentum, those who invested will keep it provisioned, and those that didn’t will wait for the next big thing. That’s just the view of a (self proclaimed) weirdo though.
Post #995626 8th Jun 2023 5:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1