↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 P525 Area (L663) > P525 Engine / Transmission Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
madcal

P525 Engine / Transmission Issue
Afternoon all,

I have already PM’d with some of you about this but now putting it out there.

Mine is a 110 Carpathian V8 and I generally love it.

However, at almost exactly 1,000rpm when under load there is a nasty vibration through the transmission which you feel through the seat and centre console.

The dealer agreed it is there, but wanted to wait until they got another in to compare it.

They now have another brand new one and they claim it does the same thing. They are 150 miles away (the joys of limited supply meaning you have to take what you can get) so going down to see them is a massive PITA to see if they are telling the truth.

So now I am left with either living with it (as they claim they all do that) or properly kicking off most likely with LR themselves.

Could I just check does anyone else have a nasty vibration at 1k rpm? Try putting it in cruise at 30 mph, when under power you can really feel it.

My 1990 Range Classic doesn’t do it, why should a brand new Defender? The RR with the same engine (older model) doesn’t do it either, neither does an F-Type or any of the Jags.

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback please.

Many thanks
Post #990316 25th Apr 2023 6:38pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Mate, that sounds like the dealer is talking Censored !

Like you said, other vehicles don't do that, and my RRS certainly doesn't do that - in fact, I took it to a tuning/carbon cleaning workshop last year, and they couldn't pick up any out-of-ordinary engine vibrations.

Sounds like a transmission-engine sync issue? More likely it needs a software update, so maybe try doing a gearbox software reset to clear the adaptation values and see what happens afterwards? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #990378 26th Apr 2023 7:54am
madcal

Sad I would agree; easiest option for them is to persuade me that “they all do that sir”.

Sadly I have put together enough engines and gearboxes myself to know what one which is balanced and torqued correctly is like.

They claim to have already done the software stuff when they had it for a week a month ago.

I may just take to my local dealer instead and see what they say, but given I notified them of this issue on day 2 and reserved the right to reject, they asked for a little more time to investigate and to get another one in. Now we are on week 8 with 2.5k miles on it rejection gets a little complicated and if I take it elsewhere even more so.

I love LRs, I have 2 Series 2a’s, and a Range Classic and the P525 as my daily but if they don’t sort this then JLR will just be dead to me. £118k on something which vibrates like a 20-year old thrashed PoS is just not OK and neither is just telling me that this is just the way they all are.

It has turned something fun and exciting into stress FFS.
Post #990389 26th Apr 2023 8:55am
Moo

Ukraine 
I had a vibration issue on mine when on cruise control between 50-70 ish mph, typically going up hill . I tried videoing it but it didn't pick it up.

I have posted about it and the only other person who had this had their wheel bearings replaced which fixed the issue.

My car recently went in for warranty work and they uploaded new software. So far it's been ok and I haven't noticed the vibration since.

Mine is a D250 SE 110. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #990394 26th Apr 2023 9:34am
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
this is definately not correct, our one does not have any vibration at all from the transmission and its now on 13k miles so i am guessing something must be loose or faulty.
Post #990399 26th Apr 2023 9:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
madcal

Thanks.

Talking to the DP today and hopefully then it goes back to LR themselves to sort it out.

Ironically I buy new cars to avoid this sort of thing….

Now off shopping for a rotten P38 to strip the 4.6 out of and stick into one of my Series 2’s, the fun continues but at least the issues with that one will be of my own making.
Post #990422 26th Apr 2023 1:12pm
lrFFM

Germany 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Hi madcal,

I had a RRS P525 and just switched to a Defender P525 a month ago. I never had any vibration issues with this engine/transmission combo. As a matter of fact, this is the smoothest engine I have ever had in a car.
So there is definitely something wrong.

Good luck!
Dennis
Post #990661 28th Apr 2023 10:20am
madcal

Thank you. Any of you in Canary Wharf or Suffolk?
Post #990664 28th Apr 2023 10:51am
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Just to confirm having done a few miles over the past three days mine is absolutely smooth, no hint of the vibration you describe.

Hope LR agree and sort it out.
Post #990781 29th Apr 2023 9:19am
madcal

Thanks again for all the feedback, it really helped.

Dealer agreed to buy the car back today, it’s rejected.

There is a 6-12 month waitlist for new orders but I found another brand new unregistered one elsewhere, so will test drive it tomorrow and so long as it doesn’t have the same issue I will be buying that.

Even after the issue and a lot of alternatives research there is no other vehicle I want.
Post #993283 19th May 2023 3:21pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Glad they’ve done the right thing madcal, good luck with the new one!
Post #993309 19th May 2023 5:54pm
madcal

Evening all.

Finally my transmission saga is over. I didn’t want to post about it until it was done…. A couple of things:

1. For a product which has a 9-12 month waiting list I have managed to now buy 2 brand new ones in 10 weeks, from stock; anyone who wants one just phone around they do exist. My new one arrived at the dealer a week ago and I picked it up on Saturday.

2. Rejecting a car is stressful. The service I had from the dealer was polite but slow and lousy. I informed them of the issue immediately on day 2 after delivery. They said “give it a week or two it will settle”. I accepted that, mistake number 1. On week 3 I said “it hasn’t settled”, they collected it, had it for a week, shrugged and said “Land Rover don’t have a bulletin for it, why don’t you just live with it, we will wait until another arrives to test and ask LR in the meantime”. I took it back. Mistake number 2 as now we are over the 28 day mark for a full refund rejection. After not hearing anything for 2 weeks I sent them a polite “you have 28 days to fix or I reject” email. The DP replied 2 weeks later saying “so sorry you are having issues, please let us know what they are and we will arrange to collect and fix it”. So obvs the lines of communication were not working. I am busy at work so 3 weeks after that (1 week after my 28 day email) I email them saying I formally reject for a refund. They take a week and a half to reply, I call every day, leave messages and get ignored. Finally they agree to collect and refund me less tax and 45p per mile for usage, I have done 3,000 miles by now. However I am now thinking I just want rid of it. I find the second one at another dealer, pay the deposit and arrange to collect on the Saturday, when they were collecting on the Wednesday prior. They collect. No money hits my account. I chase and am left for 2 days with a “what if the dealership goes bust I have lost £115k” feelings. I chase every day and finally on the Friday they email me some paperwork then finally pay me late Friday. I make a rushed payment to the second dealer and then collect new one on Saturday.

Fortunately the new one is perfect, no issues at all; the first dealerships “they all do that sir” was clearly BS and all of you on here who replied saying yours was fine were super helpful, thank you.

So it ended up costing me around £3k to swap from a Feb 2023 72 plate 3,000 miles and dodgy gearbox to a May 2023 23 Plate 10 miles and perfect gearbox. I am happy but it was stressful and I cannot believe how much I was ignored and strung along by the first dealership (LR Main dealer too, in very South England).

I cannot say the second dealer were great either honestly, rather rude and curt and behaved like they had done me a favour by selling me the car. I think the current shortages have bred a pompousness and arrogance into main dealers which will come back and haunt them in 2 years when the situation is reversed.

Anyhow, love the new V8, already ordered the compressor which mounts behind the spare wheel carrier on the rear door, onwards!
Post #994335 28th May 2023 8:17pm
tonyp

United Kingdom 
Not surprised by your experience - the dealers certainly have a shoddy reputation at the moment.

Great that you now have a new Defender, happy motoring
Post #994338 28th May 2023 8:49pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
madcal wrote:

I cannot say the second dealer were great either honestly, rather rude and curt and behaved like they had done me a favour by selling me the car. I think the current shortages have bred a pompousness and arrogance into main dealers which will come back and haunt them in 2 years when the situation is reversed.

They've all been like that for the past 5 or 6 years, maybe more. Especially since all of the showrooms had to be the "posh" type with the handover areas etc.
Post #994355 29th May 2023 8:35am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
I think you should name and shame the dealer, they don’t deserve anonymity.

Possibly disclose the reg no. so no one on the forum buys a vehicle with a problem. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #994502 30th May 2023 4:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1