↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > An Anorak's Expedition Trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks Clayton Very Happy This thread's not very interactive unfortunately, but it seems to be getting lots of views so I'll keep plugging away at it. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #993964 25th May 2023 10:19am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Inspirational Darren. Inspirational. Thumbs Up
Post #993967 25th May 2023 10:41am
L110CDL

England 
I think the thread is great as i see how you come up with a solution which might come in handy for anyone and then improve on it as your doing the said idea.

You mentioned you came down to Exeter for the uni, not to far away from me Whistle 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #994031 25th May 2023 8:43pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks, chaps. I've diverted onto another project for a week or so but will be back on the trailer next week Smile Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #994434 29th May 2023 9:16pm
L110CDL

England 
Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #994670 31st May 2023 9:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

A concerted push over the last week has seen much progress on my wiring odyssey and the light is now clearly visible at the end of the tunnel. So here we go:

All of the wiring through the gas locker and wardrobe is complete and the containment buttoned up. I had to replace the trunking in the wardrobe with something slightly deeper as there’s a lot of wiring passing through there:

Click image to enlarge

Work in the kitchen has also been completed, with the addition of switches to control the USB sockets and to independently control the light. These are not in the most ideal position but one of them filled an existing hole in the trunking. Space is tight behind them though, so the connections have been soldered rather than using crimp terminals to save a bit if space:

Click image to enlarge

The wiring to the solar panel has finally been reinstated via a new hole through the front panel. As well as being hidden behind the panel itself, this is protected by a plastic shroud. This has been reused from the original installation but has had a seal added to the rear face and is secured with more screws to ensure a tight fit:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I’ve modified the inverter by cutting into and extending the on/off switch wiring, which will allow it to be controlled remotely by a relay. As installed, it was permanently powered even when not in use, as the on/off switch was hidden away behind the batteries:

Click image to enlarge

In the battery box, all of the wiring has now been reinstated in a logical fashion and secured. On the left hand side, a relay has been added to control the power feed to the fridge. Under normal circumstances, the fridge is fed from the trailer batteries via the control panel. However, when the towing vehicle is connected, the permanent live in the towing electrics is used to switch the fridge over to the towing vehicle fridge circuit. This is basically the same as caravan.

You can see the relay here, beneath the large fuse that protects the control panel. Beneath the relay is a terminal block that’s divided into two, the red half being towing vehicle permanent live and the black half being earth:

Click image to enlarge

On the other side of the battery box is another, much larger 200 amp relay, that connects the Anderson socket charge cable to the batteries. As installed, this socket was permanently connected to the batteries and so was live all of the time. The relay is driven by the same towing vehicle permanent live as the fridge one, which means that the plug is only live when hitched up:

Click image to enlarge

On the front panel of the battery box I’ve added a mains socket, a switched 12v DIN socket and a switch that manually overrides the Anderson socket relay in case I actually want it live for any reason:

Click image to enlarge

The DIN socket is for use with a pump that can be used to refill the onboard water tank from an external carrier.

With all of that completed, the battery box is finally finished! The batteries have now been reinstalled for hopefully the final time and all cables secured:

Click image to enlarge

That’s in stark contrast to how it originally looked Shocked

Click image to enlarge

The current state of play is that all of the wiring from across the whole trailer has now been brought together in a neat and secure manner to the back of the control panel:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The panel itself has been modified slightly to include an on/off switch for the USB sockets on the side of the panel enclosure. This necessitated remaking the switch panel but gave me the opportunity to smarted it up and add some labels:

Click image to enlarge

The control panel has now been re-fitted and all that remains is to connect everything up!

Click image to enlarge

Tune in next week for hopefully the final installment... Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 24th Oct 2023 4:38pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #995914 11th Jun 2023 5:30pm
L110CDL

England 
Thank you Darren for that update and you can see for sure you have been in there to sort it all out properly, what a difference with the before n after pics Bow down

A question for you Darren . . . on the positive and negative terminals, you joined them up with the appropriate coloured wires, is this extra " covering all bases " for the coloured source for where they go off to ?

Thanks again Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #996041 12th Jun 2023 8:46pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Clayton. Yes, the link cables are colour coded red for positive and black for negative. These parts are original to the trailer but it's a pretty standard arrangement and I've done the same for the second battery on my 110. Darren

Post #996058 12th Jun 2023 10:00pm
L110CDL

England 
Thank you Darren Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #996060 12th Jun 2023 10:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910