↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > French toll tags?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Norfolk-n-chance

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
French toll tags?
Hi All,

Me and the finance director are off to Spain later this year for the first time in quite a few years. We used to go every year until the kids were too old to come with us and then we just sort of stopped going.
Anyway, we’ve decided it’s time for us to pack the caravan and take off for a few weeks slow touring through France and into Spain, this time with the dog instead of the kids (should save some money on ice cream!)

We’re planning on doing some toll roads around the major towns and cities so I’d like to get a toll tag. I’ve been reading up on a few of them and even tried to get one from Ulys, they cancelled my application because I couldn’t provide a French RIB (like a bank account certificate) I tried to contact them to explain that it’s not something we have in the UK but they didn’t answer and just cancelled my application.
I know there’s some old threads on here about tags but they are quite old now. I just wondered if anyone had any advice or experience on the current crop of tag suppliers?

I liked the Ulys one as there was only a postage cost (€10) and then you only pay €1.70 for the month you use it in addition to the tolls, a lot of the others, especially the one promoted by Eurotunnel seems to have a lot of charges.

Oh and do I really need a Crit Air sticker?

Thanks in advance!
Mark “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #993723 23rd May 2023 1:35am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I use the emovis tag and it works brilliantly - wouldn’t be without it now.

If you’re going into any low emissions zones then yes you’ll need a crit-air sticker. Unless you fancy risking an unpleasant conversation with the gendarmes. There aren’t many permanent LEZs yet though so depending on route you’ll likely be okay.
Post #993728 23rd May 2023 5:50am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I’ve had an emovis tag for years, got it via eurotunnel which gives you some for of deal.

Fulli is another option and possibly covers more countries.
https://www.fulli.com/en
Post #993735 23rd May 2023 7:49am
Norfolk-n-chance

Click image to enlarge

I looked at the emovis tag as that’s the one that Eurotunnel promote and give a discount on the initial set up but I just can’t help feeling that they’re trying to rip me off…
They make you have and pay separately for 2 tags (one for France and a separate one for Spain) everyone else’s tag covers France, Spain and Portugal.
They charge an annual fee not sure what for and their “months used” is €5 a month instead of €1.70

I’m fed up with the world having its hand in my pocket, I know it’s not a lot of money but feels a bit blatant “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #993739 23rd May 2023 8:52am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I’ve never even noticed it as part of the cost of a holiday, and we’ll worth it to not have to get out and quickly run round when going through the péage on your own.

Interested to hear if there are better options that work in more countries though.
Post #993741 23rd May 2023 9:09am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Well I live in France and use the toll roads, I always just pay with my card (touch). Admittedly I never suffer the holiday queues, but with several cars I cannot be bother with all this tag stuff. How many toll road do you really use (they are expensive!) and how much do you expect to gain in time for the hassle of getting one?

The Crit'air sticker is only really interesting to have if have low emission car, which I presume your car is not. If you get a sticker 4-5-6 you basically have sticker that says you are not allowed to be here during these hours, so what is the point of the sticker. You can just check your emission and then keep out (or take your changes and ask for forgiveness if caught. Anyhow I find enforcement is sketchy, at least in Paris and the fines (if ever) are bearable. You can always try the 'don't speak French trick'..
Post #993754 23rd May 2023 10:23am
Sjmmarsh

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I’ve just gone through the process of getting a tag that covers France Spain Portugal and Italy. It is pay as you go and is slightly more expensive if used in Italy. You don’t pay for unused months.

I found Fulli the best one as they waived most of the sign up fee with their PRINTEMPS discount code.

My only issue was finding a U.K. bank that I could use to sign up for the direct debit system. Halifax and Santander were no good, so I signed up with Starling who do support it. It only took 24 hours to get a working account.

The tag is a godsend for me as, touring in a Caterham 7, my wife cannot reach the normal toll booths so I need to get out and walk round - the most time taken is putting the 6-point racing harness back on…

Steve
Post #993759 23rd May 2023 11:33am
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
You only need a crit air if you are planning on going to a location with a low emission zone. Even then check to see what level is allowed in the zone.

Toll tags are only worth it if you plan on going to France a lot
Post #993807 23rd May 2023 9:18pm
Norfolk-n-chance

Well, after taking what everyone said into account, I’ve just applied for the Fulli tag.
You’re right about the discount code Steve, it all seems to have worked and all I’m paying is the €10 delivery charge. No monthly fee charges and no set up fee.

My HSBC iban number seems to have worked…

I’ll keep you updated when it arrives!

Thanks for the advice on the crit-air sticker, we’re not planning on going into cities only around them so we should be ok Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Thanks
Mark “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #993819 24th May 2023 1:11am
Norfolk-n-chance

Retroanaconda wrote:
I’ve never even noticed it as part of the cost of a holiday, and we’ll worth it to not have to get out and quickly run round when going through the péage on your own.

Interested to hear if there are better options that work in more countries though.

It might be worth you taking a look at Fulli then. One tag covers France, Spain and Portugal, there’s another one that includes Italy as well but costs a bit more.
https://www.fulli.com/en “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #993825 24th May 2023 8:23am
Norfolk-n-chance

Jabberwocky wrote:
You only need a crit air if you are planning on going to a location with a low emission zone. Even then check to see what level is allowed in the zone.

I think toll tags make our holidays a little easier, if we’re on our own then we’re on the wrong side to the machine. If we’re not on our own then the passenger, usually her Ladyship, has to climb half out of the window to reach the machine!
(No, that’s not a reflection on my driving and distance judging abilities! it’ll be a combination of wide caravan and short arms!) “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #993826 24th May 2023 8:28am
Sjmmarsh

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
Jabberwocky wrote:

… or if you are travelling at peak times in the summer. The queues at the peage (especially the right hand booths) outside Paris can hold you up for 15mins+

Steve
Post #993831 24th May 2023 9:53am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Having a tool tag spoils the fun of waking up your wife as you approach the toll booth. Telling to get the ticket ready to pay when you're really just getting a ticket. I fool her every time Rolling with laughter
Post #993853 24th May 2023 11:50am
Norfolk-n-chance

That’s actually a really good point!
Perhaps I’ll cancel it now then!! Laughing Laughing “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #993856 24th May 2023 12:09pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I live in France, the Defender is LHD so was never a problem, the Mog - when driving alone - obviously meant clambering out, walking round the car, paying, then clambering back in. Especially awkward with the hood up!

The tag certainly avoids all that, the barriers open as you approach from a distance (there are special lanes for tagged-only cars, so nobody actually has to stop but can keep rolling. In theory up to 30 kph, I've never dared go through as quickly as that just in case the barrier DIDN'T open!), so MUCH quicker. The non-tagged car that overtook you 20km back is still queuing to pay as you sail through one of the lanes reserved just for youse.

I've got a French bank account and the charges are taken off directly: no discount though, unlike the Dartford tunnel has (or used to have?).

Not sure I'd pay excessive UK costs for the convenience though...

As for the Crit-Air sticker, it's easily got even for UK registered vehicles, cheap as chips, why NOT have one?

Peter
Post #993986 25th May 2023 1:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>