↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > 130 > Shroppy's V8 127 Rebuild
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Well spotted!

This project has been on the back burner for the last few years sadly, but I've now finished my degree apprenticeship and should, in theory, have some time to spend on it in the relatively near future.

On the flip side, it has given me plenty of time to collect parts and work through certain aspects of the build. Something that has been in the back of my mind from the outset is the real world practicality of the V8. Rover V8s are well known, and well loved but the reality is that in a 127, I'm unlikely to achieve great performance, nor reasonable fuel economy. Whilst neither of those matter in isolation, I have come to the conclusion that I probably won't get the use out of it that I'd like to.

So, the engine, the gearbox that I spent many hours and £s building, and the chassis will be up for grabs to make way for an adaptor chassis and a different engine and transmission.

I'm leaning towards an M57 with 8hp auto box having read about peoples positive experiences on here, there's a lot to be said for 300ish bhp and reasonable fuel economy I think. I'm still considering an LS3 or similar but the parts will be circa 4x the cost and whilst the power would be great, I'm not convinced it would be well suited to overlanding, which is the ultimate goal.

So that's where this project is at currently, I'd welcome any thoughts on the above, and if anyone's interested in a brand new 4.6 RV8 or a brand new, upgraded, V8 spec R380, let me know! 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"

Last edited by Shroppy on 19th May 2023 2:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #993254 19th May 2023 10:26am
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Glad to see you are still in contention for slowest built 130 on D2N Wink Big Cry

I agree with your thoughts about the RV8, would have been pretty bloody cool though. Not sure I could live with an automatic however, but that's just me.

Would you consider importing a used LS3 from the States rather than a new crate motor to get it nearer inline with M57 costs?

(Congrats on completing your degree Thumbs Up) Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #993258 19th May 2023 11:09am
kenzle8a

Shroppy wrote:

I'm leaning towards an M57 with 8hp auto box having read about peoples positive experiences on here, there's a lot to be said for 300ish bhp and reasonable fuel economy I think.

I don't even think you need the 8HP, I went from a TD5 110 to a TDV8 L322 with the 3.6 and the 6HP, trust me the 6HP would be fine in the Defender with an M57 as with a TDV8 the L322 is a rocketship in spite of weighing nearly a tonne more than my Double Cab. A chum with the 4.4 and 8HP said the only real difference in MPG is noticed over 70 with the 8hp. I get about 28mpg out mine and he gets about 34-40 with the 8HP.
Post #993284 19th May 2023 3:34pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Thanks Stuart, how is your build progressing??

I love manuals, but having driven a few modern tiptonic boxes, I must say the autos have their place. Also makes things a little easier with no shifter linkage etc.

I had considered importing a used LS, Coyote or similar from the States or Aus, but that would be more of a long term plan I think. The mpg would still be pretty poor and whilst the power would be ace, I'm just not sure that it would be practical for long trips or towing.

I'm not sold on the 8HP vs 6HP just yet, but considered that whilst going to the effort, I may as well go for the 'better' box. To be honest, I'm not sold on the M57 yet, but it seems the best option for my needs currently. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #993329 19th May 2023 9:13pm
kenzle8a

The only thing to consider is making sure you have a good auto box or budgeting for a rebuilt one. The both have issues that come up and they are also a total pain to self service as they benefit from a hot flush from someone who knows what a ZF should be like.

I like the auto as it suits the Rangie, when it comes to the Defender I’m still umming and arring over what I will put in the next Defender i like the idea of the MT82 mated to the m57
Post #993332 19th May 2023 9:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234