↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Need a new engine, recommendations for best/easiest options?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NorthernDefender90

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Need a new engine, recommendations for best/easiest options?
Hi All,

It finally happened.

My TDCI engine started knocking quite badly on acceleration, took it into my local garage and upon inspection they said it was pretty fatal and recommended a new engine rather than having them strip the whole thing...etc. They're my go to guys, really knowledgeable and actually very honest so I do trust them.

I've decided to tackle the problem myself, having virtually no experience with this large of a problem but always wanted to, so might as well take the opportunity.

My mind has gone to the thought of if I'm having to put a new engine in I may as well put a better engine in. Been flip flopping between; M57, OM606, Rover v8. I know you can get v8 swap kits but all of them are a small fortune and I ideally would like to keep cost down as much as possible.

I'm asking you lovely people if you've had any experience with these sorts of engine swaps, any advice, things to do, things to stay away from etc. Any other engine suggestions are appreciated too.

Cheers
Post #993239 19th May 2023 8:21am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
You have PM
Post #993241 19th May 2023 8:50am
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Following with interest, sorry to hear about your engine though. Can I ask how many miles it has covered? 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #993246 19th May 2023 9:32am
NorthernDefender90

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Mileage was only 138k, I've done 24k of it in the 2 years I've had it. Thought the ford transit engines in them were supposed to be pretty long lasting.
Post #993253 19th May 2023 10:21am
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
When I built my project I couldn't decide, but I'd had RV8's before so bought a 4.0 V8 discovery to use, but after only 1k miles it overheated, so that was that. It did exactly what people said it would do, so I ruled that out. I didn't want an M57 as I don't like or understand electronics,so that to was out.

I went for the OM 606 which I'm very pleased with. It's not a rev monster like most people say it is either, but not as clatter free as a more modern diesel and requires a good heat in the glow plugs to start. To me it's a bit like a TDI, but sounds nicer and has over twice as much power.

My next project is going to be an OM 605 engined 90. This should have most of the features of the 606, but possibly be more economical and easier to fit as it's shorter.
Post #993574 22nd May 2023 7:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1