Home > Td5 > intermittently noisy fuel pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MalteseRover

Malta 
intermittently noisy fuel pump
hello,

I have always ran my 2003 td5 with the tank always full third way or more. A month ago I poured in a jerry can of dirty diesel by mistake. The pump started whining and only did a 5 or 6 miles on it till I reached home.

Replaced filter and removed pump and cleaned its filters (all of the fine gauze filters were clogged up) and rinsed the tank. I snapped the green connector in the process and replaced it with a used item that is slightly bigger diameter and needed a little push to fit in the pump. I did heat the fuel line with a heat gun but kinked the pipe a couple of times at the bend before the was fully home in the line.

it ran smoothly for a week or so and did not notice any fuel leaks. The engine oil level looks right so i guess no issue with compression going back to the tank through injector seals which were done 3 or 4 years ago.

The engine sounds ok, just like it did before. Starting is unaltered - same as it has for the past 5 years. Acceleration is smooth and seems to run ok. Filter housing and FPR(bosh item) were replaced about 4 or 5 years ago.

Now it is producing an intermittent whine (feels like there is air in the system). Sometimes before starting it hums as usual, at others it starts to whine after a few seconds.

with engine running sometimes it sounds ok but after 4 or 5 miles it starts to whine then when I pull over and turn it off and let it sit for a few seconds and start it up again the whining goes. at other times it starts whining from start up.

Can the fittings on the bleeding side of the filter be replaced? I still have the used housing and i think i will try change them when i have time along with another fuel filter.

I will try order a new pump and regulator kit anyway as spares. Is there any noticeable difference between vdo siemens Euro322 or Land rover pump euro430?

Anyone heard of or designed a gauze filter to insert in the tank's filler cap for future use?

Joseph
Post #989865 22nd Apr 2023 5:52am
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Mine did that for years even after filter changes and purges. It stopped a couple years ago. 🤷‍♂️. No idea why. I thought the pump was on its way out but its still going. 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #989958 22nd Apr 2023 4:21pm
MalteseRover

Malta 
the fuel pump has become really noisy now and at times it starts to whine as soon as the key is in position 2. at others it is quite. i need to learn to live with the noise.
Post #993168 18th May 2023 6:01pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yes it is irritating isn't it?! Rolling Eyes You know the only solution is a replacement pump and by that I mean only use a VDO pump. Then keep your current one as the back-up.

You could try adding some two stroke oil into the tank, see if that helps lubricate the components a bit.

Might help.

It is likely that something is worn. What you do is all up to whether you can live with it.
Post #993176 18th May 2023 6:18pm
MalteseRover

Malta 
hi

the fuel pump has become really noisy now. at times it starts to whine as soon as the key is in position 2. at others it is quite and the whine appears after a few miles. There are no visible fuel leaks under the land rover.

The engine seems to run as usual no sudden shut downs no alarming miss fires or the such

The new mahle fuel filter has been on since 6th March. Could it be clogged already? the tank was flushed when the pump was out.

i will try switch fuel to a refined grade to see if it is the fuel the issue.
Post #993178 18th May 2023 6:32pm
MalteseRover

Malta 
MalteseRover wrote:
the fuel pump has become really noisy now and at times it starts to whine as soon as the key is in position 2. at others it is quite. i need to learn to live with the noise.

noise is not an issue as i can close windows and at least other road users know that I am approaching.

all was doing well in the fuel department, but i did pour 20 litres of dirty diesel that i used to clean gunky cylinder head components of the series. it was sifted but it screwed things in the td5. I was busy and stressed back then. Sad

I just ordered an Hitachi compatible model for the cost of 108 Euros. will see how it goes. If this one dies I will try source the pump motor alone and rebuild the fuel pump if possible.

fingers crossed.
Post #993191 18th May 2023 7:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1