↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > 15p piston options with oversized rings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doruk1981

Switzerland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
15p piston options with oversized rings
Yesterday my engine guy called and said that the block and head look nice but that the pistons/rings and the valves need to be changed. For the pistons he said I'd need to source oversized 0.20 rings. The valves he said look kind of strange so should be also replaced.

I checked LRparts.net but somehow all piston - ring kits are for the 10p (-2002) and not 2002+. Do you have any recommendations how to solve this question? I checked JohnCraddock as well but it looks like there its also mostly -2002. Or, is it feasible to get the parts individually and let the engine shop assemble them?

thanks for the pointer. Td5 110 Station
Post #985476 14th Mar 2023 7:39am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Post #985479 14th Mar 2023 7:51am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
This sounds a little odd. Why would you fit oversized rings only, if there is such a thing. Oversized pistons (with the associated boring, honing etc) fair enough, but you don't fit oversized rings on their own.

Also valves 'looking kinda strange' is not really a suitable technical term to warrant replacement. If you are going to change all the valves you basically doing a complete top end overhaul. It might be more prudent to exchange for an overhauled head by a reputable vendor (such as Turner) who checks for cracks and known issues etc.

What's up with the engine that requires all this work? Must be severely worn out. How many miles and what were the failure symptoms?

From what I understand the bottom end of the 10p and 15p engines are identical. The changes are in the head, emission and ECU (EGR, air temp sensor etc), but anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
Post #985491 14th Mar 2023 9:03am
doruk1981

Switzerland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I see your point. The engine shop that I commissioned is quite famous in Switzerland (at least in the German speaking area) and is constantly rebuilding all sorts of engines. He did inspect the head and said all good, no cracks whatsoever. Therefore all good.

The engine itself had some 185k km on the odometer, the wear and tear was quite ok. in the end the engine is 20+ years old. The crankshaft etc are all good and just need some minor polishing.

Yesterday he measured everything and noted that the pistons need to be oversized, and he did not like how the valves looked like and would recommend to do them as well given that I'm doing a full rebuild.

My initial plan was just to replace all the gaskets and clean it up. but as I do want it to be reliable for the foreseeable future, I figured it makes sense to take some more money into my hands and get it done properly. Would be an annoying thing to have to take the engine out again later due some short cuts taken.

Piston wise, i'll confirm with him today if we need "LFL500030 020 Piston Assy TD5" from turner engineering and place the order then. (thank you Landy Andy for the pointer to that shop. Lots of goodness there to order) Td5 110 Station
Post #985500 14th Mar 2023 9:49am
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Yes think turners are the only ones (used to be anyway) that so the oversized pistons. They are one of the best to deal with and very helpful.
Post #992910 16th May 2023 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1