Home > General & Technical (L663) > Dumb Question on Matrix LEDs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
C&M

United Kingdom 
Dumb Question on Matrix LEDs
I am a simple soul and confused with the Matrix LEDs

I have my lights set to Auto and when they come on the little "Auto" symbol comes up on the dash on the right hand dial.

does this mean the Matrix LEDs are active and I dont have to do anything more?

the reason I ask is that I have not taken it out in really dark conditions where there are no street lights and have not seen them activate.

I did have the High Beam set on manually by mistake on the motorway and was getting flashed all over the place - habit from HBA on D5.

if I am honest the lights dont appear that bright and are better on my old Defender 110 with LED upgrade Defender D250 HSE
Dender 110 XS - sadly gone
VW Polo
VW Caravelle - Gen 6
Post #992692 15th May 2023 11:32am
soundslegal

United Kingdom 
Yes, that's it. Don't forget they will only operate in full beam mode above a certain speed and outside urban environments. Find your nearest a road / dual carriageway at night. They are very good - I have seen a few people on here say the matrix headlights aren't very bright but that's not my experience. That said, if there's oncoming traffic you sometimes have a very bright hedge / tree line to your left, but obviously no main beam straight ahead to stop dazzling oncoming cars!
Post #992693 15th May 2023 11:35am
mf7480

Not a dumb question, we’ve had them for 2 years now and still haven’t really fathomed them
Post #992696 15th May 2023 12:00pm
Tim in Scotland

They shouldn’t come up onto main beam anywhere where there are street lights and even then once you have left that area there is a delay before they come up onto high beam, I suspect it’s above a speed limit. It’s a bit disconcerting to have an oncoming car and not notice any change and the blue main beam dash light stays on, I very very rarely get an oncoming car flash it’s lights at me in my Mini with matrix headlights but frequently do in the Defender - the LR system seems to react more slowly at detecting oncoming cars than the Mini. You can see the beams changing if you look carefully but it’s not obvious Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #992702 15th May 2023 12:37pm
C&M

United Kingdom 
thanks for the replies.

should the blue high beam light get illuminated once they are active?

if so , i have never seen this, just the green light to say the lights are on and the "Auto" to the left side of the speed dial.

think I need to do as SoundsLegal suggested and find a dark dual carriage way Thumbs Up

the only issue I have is convincing SWMBO I am going out at 10PM "just to test the lights" Rolling with laughter Defender D250 HSE
Dender 110 XS - sadly gone
VW Polo
VW Caravelle - Gen 6
Post #992704 15th May 2023 12:46pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Remember you have to switch it in in your pivi settings screen also. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

This is from the manual

ADB activates automatically once the vehicle's speed reaches 40 km/h (25 mph) and the camera does not detect an urban environment. ADB automatically deactivates when the vehicle's speed slows to 24 km/h (15 mph), when ambient light exceeds a predetermined level or when the gear selector is in Reverse (R).

ADB is defined as a system that evaluates the road scene ahead of the vehicle. ADB automatically adapts the light distribution according to the position of the preceding and oncoming traffic. ADB is enabled when the lighting control is in the AUTO position and the ambient light level is below a predetermined level.

When ADB is active, the blue high beam indicator lamp remains illuminated, as the headlights will deploy partial or full high beam at this time.

The driver can disable and re-enable the ADB system at any time via the touchscreen:

Touch the settings icon¹ from any screen.

Touch the ALL soft key.

Touch Vehicle.

Touch Exterior Lights.

Adaptive Driving Beam: Toggle on or off.

Touch the exit icon², after selection, to return to the previously displayed screen.

Pull and release the lighting control to manually override to dipped beam from ADB. The instrument panel warning lamp illuminates.

Push and release the lighting control to return to ADB. The instrument panel warning lamp illuminates. See DIPPED BEAM (GREEN).

Repeated pushing of the lighting control toggles the operation of the high beam between automatic and manual.

Rotate the lighting control to the dipped beam position to switch the ADB system off.

The following may affect operation of the ADB system:

Highly reflective road signs.

Dimly lit road users, e.g., cyclists or pedestrians.

Adverse weather conditions, e.g., rain or fog.

A dirty or obscured sensor.

A dirty, damaged, or misted windscreen.

Oncoming vehicles, partially obscured by a central motorway barrier.

An icy or frosted windscreen. Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #992719 15th May 2023 2:28pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Oh and just to add, I think the lights are fantastic, really bright on country roads and work very well when you either catch a car up or you meet a car coming towards you Confused Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #992720 15th May 2023 2:33pm
walfy

Having a Volvo XC60 parked next to my Defender on the drive, the matrix system on the Volvo is so much better than the Defender system. Which is surprising as it's a 17 plate, so 5 year old technology.
A few other forum members who have/had Volvo cars say the same
For me it was a waste of £700 Big Cry 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #992835 16th May 2023 12:20pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Yep. My 2020 XC90 matrix lights were years ahead of my Defender's. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #992850 16th May 2023 2:10pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 
The matrix lights on my Defender are a lot better than the similar system on my L405 Range Rover. I actually thought that was pretty impressive, but the Defender's system is a lot smoother.

The L405's system adjusted in visible blocks whereas the Defender's isn't.

Keen to try the Volvo system!
Post #992878 16th May 2023 5:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1