Home > P400e Area (L663) > P400e feedback
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Manu

France 
P400e feedback
Hello!

I'm considering buying a P400e, I live in France and it's the only "accessible" Defender (excluding the hardtop version, all other engines have a extra tax of €50,000) I tried a diesel version and I loved it.

Are owners happy with the P400e? after 1 or 2 years. Do you have any information on the cost of maintenance ?

Thanks for feedback
Post #991607 5th May 2023 6:32pm
Harty

United Kingdom 
Very happy. Had an issue with the coolant heater, as I think a number of p400e owners did, which they sorted out overnight on warranty but suspect solved in new builds now so not an issue anyway. Is an amazing vehicle and engine.
Post #991621 5th May 2023 9:10pm
Manu

France 
Thanks Harty Thumbs Up and anyone with experience of the P400e in extreme cold?
Post #991648 6th May 2023 7:59am
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
I’ve had mine since February and it’s been superb. I had a P300 previously and after calculating my historical journey data I worked out that 75% of my trips were 25 miles or less. I was hoping that I could complete lots of these trips on electric only and substantially reduce my petrol consumption.

The reality has been far better than expected and running in hybrid mode has been a revelation. The battery will of course empty on any substantial trips but I knew that before I purchased the car.

I plug it in every night using the three pin cable so that I always have a full charge the next day. What’s also helped is that I’ve moved to Octopus energy and their ‘Intelligent Octopus’ tariff. I get cheap electricity between 23:30 - 05:30 at 7.5 pence per kWh. The Octopus system won’t charge the car until the cheap tariff starts even if I plug-in before that time. I rarely have a completely empty battery so in effect I’m getting a running cost of 6.8 pence per mile using the battery based on a 21 mile battery range. 2019 Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography
2023 Defender 110 P400e X-Dynamic HSE - gone
2020 Defender P300 SE - gone

2019 Jaguar F-Pace SVR - gone
2013 SDV8 Autobiography - gone
2011 L322 TDV8 Vogue SE - gone
2006 L322 3.6 Vogue Se - gone
1999 P38 4.0 se - gone
199? Classic 3.5 - gone
Post #991735 7th May 2023 7:01am
Sw1ggy

We love our P400e, had it for 5 months now and done just over 4,300 miles in including 2 longer return trips over 400 miles each way. We’ve averaged 46mpg including these 2 trips, with most journeys between 3 and 25 miles. For sure, it’s thirsty on a longer trip - around 22mpg once battery has run down, so it’s important to get your use case right - if you do a lot of motorway miileage, you’d be better off with the diesel but for us it works well. It will even tow a fully loaded horsebox on electric! I’ve also found it’s not worth charging up on the motorway (65p a KW is more expensive than even the petrol consumption), but keep it charged up everywhere else - we’re still on a fixed rate deal from before the energy crisis at 18p per KWH, so definitely benefits us to keep fully charged - a friend down the road has a D300 defender and only averages 25mpg. The car has been perfect with no problems, although I have a few design niggles - I wish the boot was more spacious (especially deeper as the rear seat space is extremely good) and tHe spare wheel position is a bit of a pain for hooking up trailers! We’ve not had the HV coolant heater issue 🤞, but my wife’s disco sport PHeV has had it twice, but that goes this month as she’s going to take the Defender from me whilst I get something faster…. If the use case is right, go for it! Defender L663 P400e X Dynamic HSE
Gone:
L494 RRS P400 HST
Disco 5 HSE Luxury
Disco 4 Landmark
Post #991803 8th May 2023 6:57am
Manu

France 
Thanks for your detailed feedback. The cost per km of this engine depends a lot on use but it is difficult to find similar case, your data help ! I think I'm at 40% less than 100km (so around 48-50 Mpg) 40% 100-300km (around 30 Mpg I imagine, no highway) and 20% beyond (20-25 Mpg). If my estimates are good it comes to the same average cost / km as my current Amarok. I think I'll go Wink
Post #991849 8th May 2023 2:55pm
D50

Ireland 
Hi Manu,
We love our P400e, and have it just under 12 months now with no issues. We previously had a MY20 D240 and find the drive is much more refined in the P400e. We went this route for similar tax reasons here in Ireland. As others have said it really depends on your journeys, a good bit of mine are short so its ideal and we charge on smart tariffs during the night which makes it very affordable.
A recent long trip with no battery (1,000km+) returned about 24-25 MPG.
The only item I wish was better is the boot space, with the raised floor and what I think is a tank for the battery on the left hand side do make it smaller than you'd like but we make do for all the other benefits!
I do wonder when they might increase the battery capacity like the new RRS and FFRR which would make a big difference.
Post #991931 9th May 2023 10:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1