↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Resistors to reduce LED lights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Resistors to reduce LED lights?
Hi all,

I have been told that my rear LEDs (from Bearmach) are way too bright and dazzle the drivers behind.

I wonder if I could dim the LED light a bit using a resistor.

I wonder how much current would give the right brightness (to deduce the resistor value using the Ohm law).

Has anyone tried something similar? “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #991375 4th May 2023 5:51am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I don’t think you can dim LED with resistors. They don’t work like filament lamps. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #991376 4th May 2023 6:28am
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Dimming circuitry for LEDs works by turning the current off an on more quickly than the eye can detect, if I recall correctly. You can get little 12v, adjustable, dimmer units for use with LEDs. I have one on some additional dash lighting. Google "12v LED dimmer".
Post #991378 4th May 2023 6:50am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
So if your normal running rear (red) lights are too bright, how bright is the brake light?

..and who told you this?

Personally I would not be messing with the circuitry of the car. Probably cheaper to buy new lights, but it would be interesting to find out why these lights are too bright, I am mean they are being sold so..
Post #991386 4th May 2023 7:40am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If your lights are E marked, and they need to be to be used on the roads in the EU and UK, then they have been certified as conformant and therefore can’t be too bright.

You need to look at the lens to see if an E mark is present , contact Bearmach to confirm they are certified, ask for a copy of the certification and present that certification to the body that is stating they are too bright. If not certified Bearmach should not be selling them for EU and UK road use.

Here is some useful info on E mark certification of vehicle lights. https://www.ogaled.com/why-do-we-need-e-mark-approved-lights.html
Post #991404 4th May 2023 10:43am
o4dn

Yeah, they are E marked, but… they are too bright.

The regulations specify 5W lamps for use with the side and tail lights, and the LEDs replacement look way brighter than a 5W bulb lamp, so much brighter that it dazzles the other drivers I've been told.

As for Bearmach, I think they went belly up. “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
Post #991438 4th May 2023 12:03pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Dohh .. I forgot they went out of business.

Mine are wipac , have had no issues with people saying they are too bright, and you can get a set of wipac LED tail/stop lights for circa £33 on line so I think that would be the easiest way to go.
Post #991444 4th May 2023 12:30pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
od4n,

Don’t have a go at me for asking, but I assume you have wired the tail and stop light wiring the correct way round, ie brighter illumination when you hit the brakes 👍,,

Andy
Post #991446 4th May 2023 12:36pm
o4dn

Andy, yup, the break lights are indeed even brighter! But anyhow, the econoseal connectors are foolproof Wink “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
Post #991451 4th May 2023 1:27pm
o4dn

There was a similar thread on here a few years ago, and people reckoned the Wipac are indeed less bright than the Bearmach ones, so it's not just me! Rolling Eyes “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
Post #991453 4th May 2023 1:29pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Unless some regulatory body would tell me otherwise (and since they have an E-mark) I would personally not change anything. Do you really care about what people behind you or otherwise think?

Anyhow nowadays with more and more automatic cars every other car is sitting a the lights 'dazzling' the person behind them with their brake lights. When I got my license - a long time ago - I was told to use the handbrake for exactly that reason. I suppose today we don't need to care that much about the people behind us.
Post #991455 4th May 2023 1:42pm
o4dn

TexasRover, yeah, I don't disagree here… “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
Post #991457 4th May 2023 1:54pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
swt wrote:
Dimming circuitry for LEDs works by turning the current off an on more quickly than the eye can detect, if I recall correctly. You can get little 12v, adjustable, dimmer units for use with LEDs. I have one on some additional dash lighting. Google "12v LED dimmer".

Bluest wrote:
I don’t think you can dim LED with resistors. They don’t work like filament lamps.

Not complete b******* but not correct information.

LEDs are current mode devices - they drop a fixed voltage across them (dependent upon colour), their brightness is dictated by current.

You can limit current by fitting a resistor inline with the LED, unrestricted current can actually wear them out prematurely in some circumstances. The other way is to PWM (pulse width modulate) the power going to it which chops the supply on and off such that it averages a lower current thus dimming it. If your switching frequence is above 30Hz then the human eye struggles to see the flickering (hence why most video is coded to 30fps) so you don't actually need to do any smoothing.

The reason PWM is preferred to a simple resistor is that it's more efficient particularly at the more powerful end of LEDs. It's also more versatile and easier to control.

So to the OP yes a suitable resistor will dim the bulbs. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #991482 4th May 2023 5:01pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
100% agree with Sako above. LEDs are current driven, and a resistor in series is an easy way to reduce current flow. Just note that you would need a resistor with enough power dissipation, so that the resistor does not become too hot and either go open circuit or short out. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #991485 4th May 2023 5:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1