↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Not happy with his EV car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Not happy with his EV car
Fair enough this is only one example but people need to be wary of stated range per charge especially if you use the heater, which is a necessity.
https://thepremierdaily.com/think-twice-be...6Al=LNzn8I 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #988600 11th Apr 2023 2:39pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Highway robbery at its finest....

I was reading the other week that deprecation was sky high as dealers and 2nd hand dealers cant sell them, or if they do its at a loss.

Combined with higher insurance costs as Insurances wont risk repairing a car only to find the battery is damaged (read catches fire and takes out a multi-story carpark and everything and everyone in it), so its cheaper to write off the vehicle.

That Khan bought his ULEZ cameras prior to any consultation and forgot to tell the public that they can then be switched over to pay by mile so any EV owner will have to pay anyway.

So that vehicle, if bought on a PCP he will be paying the interest and depreciation on top of his monthly bill for a vehicle that he hardly used and is a financial liability and will never own it.

He would have been better off hiring a vehicle when he needed it.

The other thing to consider is for anyone buying an EV is to ensure that they get Gap insurance because any write off will be valued against market value and so the owner will still be liable for any credit company payments due......that depreciation could cripple a lot of people at the present moment.

how long will it be before those 'did you buy a diesel car.......' changes to 'were you mis sold an EV...'
Post #988615 11th Apr 2023 3:57pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
EV’s are not performing well as used vehicles currently and we are seeing this in the published used book values.

Our dealers are carrying them in stock for about three times the length of fossil fuel vehicles. And Tesla has caused some short term valuation distress in the market place, but things will settle down Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #988616 11th Apr 2023 4:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Slight nonesense. Hence the WLTP testing, rather than individual . Of course winter is going to be less than summer.

Took Whatcar to town on the BMW Hybrid. They stated real world range was 36miles and 27mpg so I sent a picture showning 62.7miles on a 73mile trip. Didn't bother with the 37.4mpg for an 130mile trip on a flat battery. Winter range is 40miles - summer is high 50s. So unsure what real world they live in. Never got less than 30mpg even doing an 80mph+ run back from London (and 10miles through London but not at that speed). Then again I've done 9500miles in the car and they had it for a week.

Lets not talk about the 50k miles on the pool ID3 that still knocks out 250miles and has exceeded the range on occasion. (Doesn't really make a story does it)
Post #988663 11th Apr 2023 7:34pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Leamreject wrote:
EV’s are not performing well as used vehicles currently and we are seeing this in the published used book values.

Our dealers are carrying them in stock for about three times the length of fossil fuel vehicles. And Tesla has caused some short term valuation distress in the market place, but things will settle down

Yep ID3 down £1700 and now back up £1700 on WBAC in a week
Post #988664 11th Apr 2023 7:36pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Our EV has a quoted range of 140 miles. A full charge in winter gives an estimated range of 100 miles. Turning the blower motor on drops the range by 1 mile, same for heated seats. Much the same as I don't get the same quoted economy from my other IC cars

His dealership is Arnold Clark, notorious for giving Censored trade in values. And unless you have something in high demand, you'll always loose money on a brand new car. It's completely normal to loose 30% of its value as soon as you drive off the forecourt

There was no additional insurance premium for us

Financials are a completely different story if bought via a business. Being a hotel owner, I expect that was the case

But yeah... BTW, his car is a Vauxhall Mokka. That probably explains a whole lot Wink
Post #988682 11th Apr 2023 8:27pm
kenzle8a

Most of my chums who have gone EV have no regrets, The only issues I’ve heard are around Tesla’s and a lack of windows for replacement and insurance on ones with structural batteries.

My friends have a zoe long range and a ioniq5 combined with a solar and battery array that does the cars and house and leaves them In profit each month, can’t see the downside of that
Post #988687 11th Apr 2023 9:09pm
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It's not really a surprise. Take a new car, drive 3000 miles and it's worth less than you paid for it. If that car isn't a particularly desirable car in the first place, then you'll lose more money...
Post #988710 12th Apr 2023 10:44am
Tim in Scotland

I have no regrets with my wee Mini EV, it’s dirt cheap to run, in 18months (unlike my Defender) it hasn’t needed to go near a dealership service bay and it’s huge fun to drive. I was advised to buy it on a PCP or lease rather than buying it outright due to advances being made in battery tech, advice that I took. So far this month it has cost me £4.75p in paid for charging to do 300 miles as I can plug it into my charger that diverts excess solar generation to the car when I’m exporting to the grid - it will also charge from the grid if I chose it to. OK it’s only got 100 miles winter range or 140 in summer on a charge but as I only do 100 miles a week it’s a lot cheaper to run than doing the same miles in my Defender.
One of the problems with used values is that Elon has continually dropped the prices of his Model 3 and Model Y this year to the extent that the Tesla are cheaper to buy new than many of the other car makers are selling used versions of their EV - dealers are paying minimum in part exchange but take a look at the mark ups they are looking for when they sell those cars on………… it’s the same as Land Rover dealerships policy on part exchanges. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #988717 12th Apr 2023 11:39am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Post #988726 12th Apr 2023 12:56pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Slight confusion today as I managed 55.4miles on EV on a 81.4mile journey.

Now Whatcar states 36miles at 10 to 12 degrees in a real world. BMW states up to 53miles.......I appreciate it was around 5.5degrees, very windy (one fence panel is down at home) and torrential rain showers today so I'm trying to understand "real world".

To be fair the car "ran" out circa 49.8miles and managed to regen the rest over the remaining 26miles (Used 5miles of engine on top of the 49.8miles (hills / power / overtaking etc). But it was cold this morning and very wet in places.

I can not achieve real world at 10 to 12 degrees even if I tried.
Post #988743 12th Apr 2023 2:29pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Disco_Mikey wrote:

Range anxiety sorted Thumbs Up

Less efficient off road, I'm afraid! Laughing “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #988754 12th Apr 2023 4:32pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Driving an EV can be great fun and for many they just work. It’s when you do long trips, carry heavy loads and have to rely on the retail charging network they become less attractive compared to ICE equivalents. We seem to forget that fast charging should be an exception rather than the norm because fast charging frequently does severely impact in the battery life longevity.

I’m not accepting the waffle of them being environmentally friendly because from cradle to grave they are certainly not, but we currently run 2879 pure ev’s and 3949 with range extenders. They perform very well in LEZ charge areas avoiding charges and maintenance cost are very reasonable. A check over with screen wash and a cabin filter and you’re as good as done tyres can wear much quicker on many because of the increase torque and weight. From our experience the dealers also charge higher labour rates for EV’s because they are recouping costs for training and additional ev investment etc.

Doesn’t mean I’m ready to transition and I don’t want to alarm anyone but our lovely government intend to make running ICE’s unaffordable in the near future to force change, this might also affect the resale value as the demand for them reduces Whistle Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #988757 12th Apr 2023 4:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Procta

United Kingdom 
i work for a company that makes bits for the nissan leaf, the 1st gen wasn't that strong at all, and when we got the new contract, again it wasn't that strong either. I was told by one of the lads in the stores side, that the orders for the leaf have been stopped by nissan. The project was said to end last year, but nissan kept it going until 2024, Which might have been down to cost, they did the same with the previous juke. Anyway, we make bits for the new juke and the quashi, and we have more orders for those cars over the leaf, even when i have been to the assembly plant, ( yes its as bad as they say it is) i have seen more jukes and Quashi's roll off the line than Leaf's. So nissan don't make that many EVs at all compared to the petrol based stuff at all. So that shows you how good the EV market is.
Also i think they are more expensive now to run compared to a diesel car let a lone a petrol. My pal recons there will be a massive U turn in it all. Which i think he is right.
Make the fuel cleaner end of story,

That ULEZ crap is a scam and a half, and needs looking at seriously. The government said go diesel 20 years ago and pushed it, lowered the tax etc, now they are going back on their word etc, I think they cannot get anymore out of us, money wise for our cars, so they have come up with this farce. I am waiting for them to bring it to sunderland, and i will be mailing my fines to the local my local MP telling them to shove it up their arses, My peugeot was registed on their go diesel thing etc, and its Taxed tested and insured. We pay well over the odds now, if we have to be charged etc for driving around in our areas, then sod paying car tax!! Thumbs Up Also those who damage the ULEZ cameras get my full support, as its a robbing scam. We pay well over the odds! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #990839 30th Apr 2023 1:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1