↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > V8 Soft top and fumes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
I get some fumes being drawn back in with just the back rolled up. Juggling the dash vents and cracking a window makes it better. With the sides up I don't get any fumes, or with a mesh top, or bikini.

By comparison it didn't happen when it used to be a Turbo D - until the day the exhaust tailpipe fell off the rear silencer!

I've considered a fume curtain, but I prefer to let more fresh air in Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #946576 22nd Mar 2022 10:56am
Van Diesel

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Auto Pennine Grey
Presumably you still get some fumes with everything closed up? I'm guessing they can find their way in but can't get out as easily so it builds up?
Post #946817 23rd Mar 2022 9:42pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Not that I notice rolled up - it makes a pretty good seal. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #946831 23rd Mar 2022 11:03pm
gbmoto

United Kingdom 
Mine is OK, has a standard 3.5 exhaust sticking out the side.

Click image to enlarge
Post #947276 28th Mar 2022 10:12am
Van Diesel

Very nice! Thumbs Up 21 Defender D300 H/Top
63 FFRR SDV8
86 90 Pick Up 3.9 V8
Post #947338 28th Mar 2022 7:59pm
Ranger 6

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Rimini Red
I'm ex-Army and old enough to remember when all the green Land Rovers were soft tops.

With the back rolled up there was always a whiff of fumes. It's the aerodynamics that the entrance is a low pressure area which sucks the air in - not an indication of a state of the engine Laughing 90 V8 CSW - 1988
Post #947524 30th Mar 2022 2:59pm
Van Diesel

Seeing as theres a few soft top owners posted on this thread just wondering about legality of rear seats in the 90?
Mine doesn't have any (yet). If I was to fit some, would it pass the MOT. Rear seat belts obviously needed although I'm sure I've seen some without?
Post #986859 26th Mar 2023 11:36am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Ranger 6 wrote:
I'm ex-Army and old enough to remember when all the green Land Rovers were soft tops.

With the back rolled up there was always a whiff of fumes. It's the aerodynamics that the entrance is a low pressure area which sucks the air in - not an indication of a state of the engine Laughing

It is the reason that the dash vents were introduced, you will always gets fumes sucked in the back (it is also why the back of a proper Land-Rover /Defender gets covered in crud). I think it is also why the vents were deleted - full soft-tops were no longer a factory option in the Puma era, as far as I know.
Post #986863 26th Mar 2023 11:55am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Van Diesel wrote:
Seeing as theres a few soft top owners posted on this thread just wondering about legality of rear seats in the 90?
Mine doesn't have any (yet). If I was to fit some, would it pass the MOT. Rear seat belts obviously needed although I'm sure I've seen some without?

Rear seats would be entirely legal as long as they are of the type appropriate to the age of the vehicle and are fitted as factory fitted seats would have been. You would be well-advised to let your insurance company know, of course.

The fact that it is a soft-top has no direct bearing on the fitment of seats (unless the seats require the presence of a hard-top in order to be fitted, e.g., part of the seat belt mechanism has to be bolted to the upper structure).
Post #986864 26th Mar 2023 11:58am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
blackwolf wrote:
It is the reason that the dash vents were introduced, you will always gets fumes sucked in the back (it is also why the back of a proper Land-Rover /Defender gets covered in crud). I think it is also why the vents were deleted - full soft-tops were no longer a factory option in the Puma era, as far as I know.

Whilst full soft-tops weren't a factory option in the UK, they were in other markets and the last of the line was produced as a soft top.

I think the vents were deleted merely to accommodate the later dash as LR seemed to have lost their way with regards pragmatic design in the Puma era. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #986871 26th Mar 2023 12:21pm
Van Diesel

blackwolf wrote:
Van Diesel wrote:

Rear seats would be entirely legal as long as they are of the type appropriate to the age of the vehicle and are fitted as factory fitted seats would have been. You would be well-advised to let your insurance company know, of course.

The fact that it is a soft-top has no direct bearing on the fitment of seats (unless the seats require the presence of a hard-top in order to be fitted, e.g., part of the seat belt mechanism has to be bolted to the upper structure).

Yeah, makes sense. I'm sure I've seen some of the rear side seats with just lap belts too?
Post #986872 26th Mar 2023 12:31pm
MercianRover

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Java Black
blackwolf wrote:
The fact that driving with the rear curtain rolled up inevitably causes exhaust fumes to be drawn into the vehicle is usually stated as the reason for the introduction of the dash vents in 1954.

At the time the dash vents were deleted in 2007 I don't think that there were any models available from the factory with full-length tilts, and that, together with the new dash trim and instrument pack introduced with the TDCi models, is undoubtedly the reason why the vents were deleted.

I sometimes get fumes drawn into my 100" Bowler when the rear curtain is rolled up - usually only on the overrun when exhaust pressure is low and sometimes at lower speeds if there is a crosswind.

I have no dash vents to push air into the cabin.
The exhaust is on the RH rear corner angled to put the gases out to the side in a similar manner to a series vehicle.
Post #986982 27th Mar 2023 7:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12